Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hot Flushes - supplements?

User
Posted 27 Aug 2022 at 13:25

Hi All,

So I started my HT+RT journey 4 weeks this Wednesday (when I finish the Bicalutamide - no issues).

I had my first Prostap injection and I'm waiting for the dreaded "Side effects". I've noticed a few things happening like some patches of body hair falling off and I had a full-on crying session at work (so embarrassing but all my colleagues were amazing!). Very little semen too.

I've not had the Hot Flushes, but I expect to be visited very soon....possibly.

I've seen some Men (and women) take supplements that help?

Evening Primrose and Sage Leaf Tablets have been mentioned, but I'm not sure if:

A. Are they effective?

2. More importantly will they effect my HT? I'm thinking possibly not, but I know Natural Medicines can be powerful.

Thanks.

Jon.

User
Posted 27 Aug 2022 at 15:44

About 20% of men on hormone therapy don't get hot flushes, and for some others they're not very significant, so I wouldn't worry about them until/unless they start.

The GnRH Agonists (Zoladex, Prostap, Decapeptyl) typically take a couple of weeks after the first injection before they start working.

Sage and evening primrose oil do help reduce hot flushes for some men.

I'm not aware of any interaction between sage or evening primrose oil and these injections, and they're commonly used. There are interactions with Enzalutamide, and possibly with other novel hormone therapy drugs. There's an interesting paper which covers this in one particular patient, where they analysed the supplements he was taking and discovered them to be the reason his hormone therapy wasn't working:

Identifying Drug Interactions between Enzalutamide and Complementary Alternative Medications in a Patient with Metastatic Prostate Cancer: A Case Report