I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search



Work during chemo

Posted 29 Aug 2022 at 21:46

Hi All

I'm 60 in January and my consultant has said that I may be starting chemo in October!!

I work for a homeless charity managing an outreach and emergency bed project. I am lucky that I will also have a 20 year teaching pension that will start when I am 60... But I will still need to work. I intend to drop to four days a week at first.

Has anyone had experience of this situation. Although working is positive I also do not want to work until my state pension just to drop dead!!!


Posted 30 Aug 2022 at 19:43

Hi proper job, probably one for our scholars and of course your onco, is there an optimum point to start chemo ? I note in your bio you have said focal RT may be and option, would a higher PSA reveal a better overview of what is happening, but would delaying chemo be a bad move ?

I completed 5 sessions of SABR treatment a couple of weeks ago to a pelvic lymph tumor, only time will tell how successful that has been.

My financial decisions were influenced be my cancer diagnosis and my personal life. 

Thanks Chris 


Posted 30 Aug 2022 at 23:33

Thank you Chris. 

Yes, I have no crystal ball either!

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!


Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 05:50
Hi, reading your bio I have to ask why they haven't treated your suspect rib with radio therapy or for that matter your prostate with salvage RT? Is your PSA now a lot higher? Have they put you on hormone therapy?

Regarding your pensions you need take advice regarding early retirement/ medical retirement as your defined benefit teacher pension may have significant benefits in the "small print". Or you may just be able to cash the whole lot in..

Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 19:04

Thanks Franci 

All good comments. 

RP last July, psa undetectable until this March, last test 0.4 in July this year. Next test September 26.

All scans including PET scan found nothing in the Prostate bed but the Pet scan showed an abnormality on the rib.

I suppose no RT to the Prostate bed as nothing showing there.

Waiting till September's test is to gauge the doubling time and to have a better idea as to what is going on.

I asked about radiotherapy and consultant did say that focal beam therapy possible if not much else changes.

He was talking after a mdt meeting of chemotherapy in October.

I also phoned the Prostate Cancer UK nurses who said this approach was a reasonable one.

So, will see what happens!! 

Forum Jump  
©2024 Prostate Cancer UK