Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MRI results from Nurse not GP

User
Posted 30 Aug 2022 at 21:11

Hi Everyone and seeking advice

I've had my blood test which came back as a psa score of 16.  The GP sent me for an MRI scan which I had last Thursday.  I looked on the NHS site and it says that the results would go back to your GP. Today I was contacted by the Hospital and was asked to go for an appointment on Monday to discuss the findings of my MRI results with a Nurse.  I'm really anxious that the process seems different from the NHS procedure and wondered if this process is common

Thank you for your support

User
Posted 30 Aug 2022 at 22:15

Usually, the GP refers you to the hospital for a cancer investigation (called a 2WW referral, as the hospital is supposed to see you within 2 weeks). In the case of prostate cancer, this starts with an MRI. The GP doesn't do the investigation/diagnosis - that's done by the hospital urology department.

Since you've been referred to a hospital, it's normal that all further prostate consultations will be with the hospital. You will only be discharged back to your GP if no cancer is found, or after treatment and initial post-treatment monitoring, if necessary.

GP's often can't even see your hospital records - in most areas they aren't linked up. The hospital will usually write to your GP (copied to you too) after each appointment, to keep the GP informed.

Edited by member 30 Aug 2022 at 22:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Aug 2022 at 22:28

Dear Andy

Thank you for your response.