Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Triton trial

User
Posted 30 Aug 2022 at 21:53

Hi all 

Does anyone have any experience of/ information on Triton? I have googled and had mixed messages, including that the trial ended in Feb this year. Hoping that is not the case as dad is being referred for radium 223 as cabazitaxel isn't working (though I have asked for another psa test as only 2 cycles of chemo when last psa was taken). 

Consultant was going to arrange a biopsy to check the DNA to see if dad is eligible for the trial, due to his age, it is likely that his prostate cancer is caused by genetics so hoping he will be eligible and that this might offer better results as we are only 2 years from diagnosis and already been through the hormone and chemo options.

Any info greatly appreciated

User
Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 10:00
BRCA is a gene fault but hardly any men are BRCA+
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 10:08
Okay, it is time to ask for a referral to the local hospice or Macmillan nurses - they are not just there for end of life care, they can also provide all sorts of practical support. They may also be the best people for getting his pain meds balanced - Macmillan nurses know so much more than oncologists or GPs about pain relief.

I think your dad may now be entitled to financial help in the form of a benefit payment for people who are terminally ill - the money helps with paying for practical things that he may need in future, such as grab rails, an air mattress, home care assistance. The hospice or Macmillan team should also have someone who can help dad to work out whether he is entitled to this payment yet and, if so, to apply.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 01:25
Hi Katie, very few men (less than 5%) are thought to have prostate cancer due to a genetic fault although it is a higher percentage for certain ethnic minority groups. I am not sure what you mean about his age as around 60% of men your dad's age are thought to have prostate cancer.

Triton2 closed in 2021 and the results were published earlier this year. Triton3 has also closed but, looking at the trial criteria, your dad wouldn't have been eligible for Triton3 even if he is BRCA+ as he has already had abi/enza and chemo. Perhaps there is a Triton4 starting and the onco is referring him for that - or it may be that your local area is prescribing Rucaparib to BRCA+ men outside the trial just because the results were so good? Another possibility if he does turn out to be BRCA+ is Olaparib, which is already approved in Scotland although NICE decided not to approve it in England or Wales.

I hope that something does come of the Rucaparib thing for you. Radium 223 doesn't really treat the cancer systemically, it is more for reducing the pain of bone mets although it does extend life for a few men.

Has dad been referred to Macmillan or local hospice services? Is he still working?
User
Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 07:10

Thanks Lynn, sorry, I thought the BRCA was a type of genetic issue. I am worried the consultant may be mistaken as he also tried to get dad on this trial back at the start of the year but he hadn't had cabazitaxel then so wasn't actually eligible and the prostate sample that was previously taken was too old to use to test for BRCA. Fingers crossed there is still something.

Dad hasn't been referred to macmillan, the conversation hasn't really been had. The consultant has said things like this is very aggressive and be prepared mentally but end of life hasn't been discussed. I feel dad's progression is very similar to Highland Lass' husband so I expect that conversation may come soon. 

Due to weight loss and some new pain in back (it had been in hips/ pelvis), a CT scan gas been arranged to check for spread. If it has spread then he won't be eligible for the trial or Radum 223 if I understand correctly?

Hasn't worked since diagnosis, it was the pain that made him go to gp thinking it was arthritis. He does still have many good days though so we need to be grateful for that.

Thank you so much for your reply and information x

User
Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 10:00
BRCA is a gene fault but hardly any men are BRCA+
User
Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 10:08
Okay, it is time to ask for a referral to the local hospice or Macmillan nurses - they are not just there for end of life care, they can also provide all sorts of practical support. They may also be the best people for getting his pain meds balanced - Macmillan nurses know so much more than oncologists or GPs about pain relief.

I think your dad may now be entitled to financial help in the form of a benefit payment for people who are terminally ill - the money helps with paying for practical things that he may need in future, such as grab rails, an air mattress, home care assistance. The hospice or Macmillan team should also have someone who can help dad to work out whether he is entitled to this payment yet and, if so, to apply.