I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Ileo anal pouch

User
Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 18:45

I have just been diagnosed with prostate cancer May 2022, Gleason score 3+3 and 3+4 low to moderate and a psa of 3.7,  it was decided that I have active surveillance which I was happy to do, I had my first psa test done August 28th since the diagnosis and it came back at 7, I have also had a symptom occur in the past five weeks whereas I cannot push the flow faster when I urinate it seams to come out at the speed of gravity, in view of this the urologists have said that with my psa going up so quickly in such a short space of time and the symptom that active surveillance was now not an option and a treatment has to be decided, my appointment at Pinderfields Wakefield is on 14th September.

My problem is is that in 2001 I had a bowel disease Ulcerative Colitis and had to have my colon and rectum removed, a pouch is then made from small intestine and reattached to the rectum, this is called an Ileo Anal Pouch or J pouch, so as then I go to the toilet as like everyone else but more often, and because of this the surgeon I have spoken with at the time of my diagnosis was fearful of the pouch been damaged as it is literally next door to it, and could thus mean it having to be removed and having to have an ileostomy (a bag)on for the rest of my life which obviously I dont want, so treatments are limited because of this, so Is there some one else in a similar position to me and had treatment etc I know we are far and few between but any advice would be appreciated 

Edited by member 01 Sep 2022 at 10:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 22:41

Steve , not in the same position but I have finished up with a catheter and leg bag for life, easier to deal with than a ileostomy or colostomy, but it was not in my plans. One of my neighbours who I dog walk with most days has Crohn's and has had a colostomy for about thirty years,he is now in his mid fifties, he deals with it very well. 

I was being considered for a urostomy but the fear was the radiation damage to the bladder would also have damaged the organs they would use for the diversion process. The hospital did organise some counseling for me.

Hope you get a suitable resolution.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Sep 2022 at 07:26
I realise it's not something anyone would chose to have but my local MP (now retired) has had one for years and it's not impacted him in the slightest from what I can tell.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyn_Davies_(politician)

User
Posted 01 Sep 2022 at 12:51

Given your somewhat unusual circumstances, I think it might be worth asking for a second opinion from one of the main cancer centres. There's a larger chance they will have come across this before, or similar circumstances which they can extrapolate to your case, and perhaps offer surgery from someone experienced with dealing with unusual circumstances.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Aug 2022 at 22:41

Steve , not in the same position but I have finished up with a catheter and leg bag for life, easier to deal with than a ileostomy or colostomy, but it was not in my plans. One of my neighbours who I dog walk with most days has Crohn's and has had a colostomy for about thirty years,he is now in his mid fifties, he deals with it very well. 

I was being considered for a urostomy but the fear was the radiation damage to the bladder would also have damaged the organs they would use for the diversion process. The hospital did organise some counseling for me.

Hope you get a suitable resolution.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Sep 2022 at 07:26
I realise it's not something anyone would chose to have but my local MP (now retired) has had one for years and it's not impacted him in the slightest from what I can tell.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyn_Davies_(politician)

User
Posted 01 Sep 2022 at 12:51

Given your somewhat unusual circumstances, I think it might be worth asking for a second opinion from one of the main cancer centres. There's a larger chance they will have come across this before, or similar circumstances which they can extrapolate to your case, and perhaps offer surgery from someone experienced with dealing with unusual circumstances.

User
Posted 03 Sep 2022 at 09:13
Thanks for the replies guys, we all seem to have different paths and nothing is ever straight forward, and especially people like me, I will take what ever comes and will deal with it, just dont know which treatment is best to me and like you say Andy with my unusual circumstances