I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

FULL BODY PETSCAN TODAY

User
Posted 01 Sep 2022 at 11:08

I have a full body PETscan at 4 on today.

I cannot deal with the terror; waiting here retching sweating and shaking with fear.

How do you wonderful people out there deal with this?

I just cannot deal with this fear.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2022 at 19:14
Diagnosis is the worst time. You just need to get through it a day at a time. If the anxiety is affecting you as badly as it seems to be doing, there are things you can do about it. Go and see your GP; when I was suffering major anxiety during diagnosis my GP prescribed me Sertraline, while helped me enormously. Macmillan offer cancer counselling, which again I found really helpful. Finally, ring the PCUK nurses on the Freephone number at the top of the screen - they are amazingly helpful and knowledgeable.

You WILL feel better once you get your diagnosis, no matter what that diagnosis is. Everyone does.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 01 Sep 2022 at 23:03

Hi SCM,

Diagnosis is probably the worst time.  You know less about it and don't know what you've got.

I was reading that Deborah James who had bowel cancer said hope is an amazing thing and rebellious hope got her through the years.

'When I was diagnosed get waves of worry.   I also found some of my worst worries were at night especially if I'd been drinking.  So I cut out drinking.   I also cut out coffee because that gives me ups and downs.  It wasn't hard to do and lasted for several months.

I once rang a PCUK nurse who said I shouldn't get too far ahead of myself assuming the worst and to take things as they come.

Another nurse told me not to read American websites, I'm not sure why although some perhaps are emphasising treatments that cost which perhaps influence how they describe the condition.  Also not to read tabloids about it.

I've continued to find all those things helpful as I still worry when it comes to psa testing time.

After reading on here for a few years and continuing to read other information there are new treatments being approved every year both in drugs and technology.   Every case is different and people react differently to the drugs so you really don't know where you are until you're diagnosed and when you see how you react to treatment. 

Hope has something in it.  If that's of any help.

Edited by member 01 Sep 2022 at 23:07  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Sep 2022 at 13:34

I think PET, is similar to a bone scan - I had one following my initial diagnosis of PC.
Thankfully, my scan was all clear. It shows if the PC has spread. I had an injection before the scan, then told to go away for a couple of hours, then return for the scan.
The treatment for PC will be different if it has spread. But it's probably just precautionary on the Medics part in your case.
Keep us informed how you get on. Getting in a panic does not help, though easier said than done I know.

I remember the appointment I had at Newmarket Hospital, when I was told I had it.- It felt like the blood drained through my feet!
Now, several years later, following lots of tests, + Radio & Hormone therapy, I seem more or less back to normal now.

But there are quite a few different types of PC, mainly split simply into slow, medium & fast growing.
Mine was slow, but if I had ignored it, about 4 years ago, I would probably not be writing this post now - but probably  be pushing up daises by now.
All the very best of luck.

Edited by member 01 Sep 2022 at 13:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Sep 2022 at 23:03

Hi SCM,

Diagnosis is probably the worst time.  You know less about it and don't know what you've got.

I was reading that Deborah James who had bowel cancer said hope is an amazing thing and rebellious hope got her through the years.

'When I was diagnosed get waves of worry.   I also found some of my worst worries were at night especially if I'd been drinking.  So I cut out drinking.   I also cut out coffee because that gives me ups and downs.  It wasn't hard to do and lasted for several months.

I once rang a PCUK nurse who said I shouldn't get too far ahead of myself assuming the worst and to take things as they come.

Another nurse told me not to read American websites, I'm not sure why although some perhaps are emphasising treatments that cost which perhaps influence how they describe the condition.  Also not to read tabloids about it.

I've continued to find all those things helpful as I still worry when it comes to psa testing time.

After reading on here for a few years and continuing to read other information there are new treatments being approved every year both in drugs and technology.   Every case is different and people react differently to the drugs so you really don't know where you are until you're diagnosed and when you see how you react to treatment. 

Hope has something in it.  If that's of any help.

Edited by member 01 Sep 2022 at 23:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Sep 2022 at 19:14
Diagnosis is the worst time. You just need to get through it a day at a time. If the anxiety is affecting you as badly as it seems to be doing, there are things you can do about it. Go and see your GP; when I was suffering major anxiety during diagnosis my GP prescribed me Sertraline, while helped me enormously. Macmillan offer cancer counselling, which again I found really helpful. Finally, ring the PCUK nurses on the Freephone number at the top of the screen - they are amazingly helpful and knowledgeable.

You WILL feel better once you get your diagnosis, no matter what that diagnosis is. Everyone does.

Best wishes,

Chris