I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad just diagnosed with advance prostate cancer

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 09:47

Hi my Dad has just been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer which has spread to his lymph nodes. It started with having to pee more regularly, even getting caught short. It’s been a real shock for us all!

He’s had MRI scans, a biopsy, had to have a catheter which resulted in a water infection when it was taken out, has started hormone injections, with chemotherapy & radiotherapy to come. He’s also had a bone scan but hasn’t got the results yet. His life expectancy is 5-10 years. It all seems a bit surreal with a whole folder full of paperwork to read which is difficult to take in.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 14:55

Lots off treatment options available and improving all the time lots on forum living long and fruitful lives for many years on here good luck to your dad with his treatment πŸ‘ gaz

Edited by member 04 Sep 2022 at 15:12  | Reason: Spelling mistake

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 15:46

Hi Gaz thank you for your lovely reply. Just trying to remain positive & hope the treatment goes well. It’s reassuring to hear that there’s good news here with other people’s experiences! πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 15:51

Yes stay positive I was gleeson 9 on diagnosis psa 24.9 2years on psa been stable at 0.01 since treatment and doing ok good luck to your dad πŸ‘

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 15:54

I’m pleased to hear you’re doing well Gaz. Hopefully my Dad’s treatment will be as successful! All the best πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 16:37

Thanks hopefully he will be ok too πŸ‘

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 22:51
Hi J Louise, good luck to your Dad. I am also living now with Advanced PCa, i have had all the scans and it had spread to bones but it is common for this not to be the case too. Like your Dad I had real problems with going to toilet - frequency, pain, urgency. A couple of months into treatment with double hormones and steroids these symptoms are much improved. Hopefully your dad will see a similar improvement. Prognosis is a horrible discussion but my oncologist was clear that really it is guess work based on averages. Let’s hope your dad can be well above average, I am sure he is in your eyes anyway. Take care.

Best wishes

Michael

User
Posted 05 Sep 2022 at 18:29
18 months ago I was diagnosed with PC (PSA 64) and susequently found that this was with "just" 3 mets. Treatment zolodox, enzalutamide that both will continue into the forseable future and a course of radiation (6 weekly 6 greys) from early October. For last 9 months PSA and testosterone not measurable and while I do get tired and sometimes a bit depressed (unceratinty) bit by bit I aam gaining more confidence that I will not pop my clogs anytime soon. The urologist who first saw me gave me 5 years and sternly warned me about bone fractures etc - and that was before anyone knew the extent of the disease. I am aiming for a minimum of 15 years with a reasonable quality of life. I have no wish to become a burden on anyone.