Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RARP friday.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 11:57

Hi all ,

Had my RARP At Guys on friday, was being like a baby beforehand worrying like crazy. I know my recovery has only just begun but now have positive thoughts going forward (along the pathway) , felt like proper s*** before. Surgeon and hospital were fantastic , surgeon came to see me on saturday on his day off , to update me in case i didnt remember speaking to him friday, which I thought was a fantastic gesture. He explained that my double mesh hernia repair (years ago )caused him a little detour and that i had to have 6 incisions instead of the normal 5 and put 20 mins on the operation.I am now at home resting up, catheter felt painful at first as felt like i wanted to go to the toilet 24 hours of the day (actually walked there to go only to remember had the catheter) this has now eased . Tummy tender guessing it would be but walking about and dosing up seems to be doing the trick . Thought my night catheter would be ok on coat hanger and chair during the night , needless to say it wasnt got too heavy and gave me a right old tug when it fell to the floor at 6AM this morning (lesson learnt )

Cant actually believe i had 4 hour operation less than 48 hours ago. just a few questions please as i have had contadictory things said by the nurses and a friend of mine who had same OP two years ago . 

I have had 1 yogurt and one tin of soup ,couple of oranges since Thursday evening , nurses advice was not to eat until i have a bowel movement as can cause problems , I am taking laxido and sennosides to help pass a movement. When in hospital wasnt allowed any food except for the yoghurt. not even a coffee. I love coffee ,

my friend who had the op said he just carried on as normal and had a roast dinner on the day after his OP.

Obviously i would like to aid my recovery as best i can. what is everyones experience of eating after RARP?

I am just still windy dont feel like going Bigguns yet how long before that sensation arrrives ? 

Many Thanks In Advance 

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 15:31
After my RALP I had a sandwich and coffee soon after getting back to the ward and an evening meal on the ward. First slight bowel movement next day.

If you had nil by mouth on the day of op then bowels cleared pre op there's probably nothing to pass. Not eating makes no sense at all to me.

I would challenge it

Good luck

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 16:18

I had my operation in the morning and hospital fed me a decent meal in the evening. Didn't do me any harm and I never suffered any constipation. Seems like I was one of the fortunate few in that respect.

Peter

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 16:31
OH had his in the morning, back to the ward in the afternoon and got fed in the evening.
User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 17:22

Toast and coffee in the recovery room for me.I had a proper meal in the evening, but I was still constipated for a few days. 

I had a minor op last week under GA and was constipated again for three day, I think it is just down to an individuals reaction to GA and pain relief.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 20:49
I haven't had a Prostatectomy but before my procedures I was given an enema that cleared what remained in the system pretty througherly and I found that even after light meals thereafter, it can take a couple of days to pass anything. Like the others, I would have thought you could start at least light means soon after recovering from the op. The important thingis to avoid is becoming constipated and lifting more than light things.
Barry
User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 23:05

Glad the op has gone ok Colin. 
My husband ate pretty much as normal after the op….kept up regular movicol sachets and drank prune juice. Think it was day 2 or 3 when he went to the loo. Take it easy don’t lift anything and don’t over do it, but get little walks in. There should be no reason why you don’t have a full and speedy recovery. All the very best 👍

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 15:31
After my RALP I had a sandwich and coffee soon after getting back to the ward and an evening meal on the ward. First slight bowel movement next day.

If you had nil by mouth on the day of op then bowels cleared pre op there's probably nothing to pass. Not eating makes no sense at all to me.

I would challenge it

Good luck

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 16:18

I had my operation in the morning and hospital fed me a decent meal in the evening. Didn't do me any harm and I never suffered any constipation. Seems like I was one of the fortunate few in that respect.

Peter

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 16:31
OH had his in the morning, back to the ward in the afternoon and got fed in the evening.
User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 17:22

Toast and coffee in the recovery room for me.I had a proper meal in the evening, but I was still constipated for a few days. 

I had a minor op last week under GA and was constipated again for three day, I think it is just down to an individuals reaction to GA and pain relief.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 20:49
I haven't had a Prostatectomy but before my procedures I was given an enema that cleared what remained in the system pretty througherly and I found that even after light meals thereafter, it can take a couple of days to pass anything. Like the others, I would have thought you could start at least light means soon after recovering from the op. The important thingis to avoid is becoming constipated and lifting more than light things.
Barry
User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 23:05

Glad the op has gone ok Colin. 
My husband ate pretty much as normal after the op….kept up regular movicol sachets and drank prune juice. Think it was day 2 or 3 when he went to the loo. Take it easy don’t lift anything and don’t over do it, but get little walks in. There should be no reason why you don’t have a full and speedy recovery. All the very best 👍