Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Robotic surgery - daily Mail article

User
User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 16:38

Is this retzius sparing and the Daily Mail is a bit late to the table? Or something really new? 

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 18:09
It seems to be a rather delayed article about retzius sparing RP - as noted in the article, there is nothing new about going through the perineum which was common practice until the 1990s. When I first joined this forum, there were still occasional members opting for perineal RP rather than abdominal!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 20:02
Isn't this what John Bollinge (sorry if I have spelt username incorrectly), had andI thought a few others? I do wish newspapers would not try to dramatise and present old news as new
Barry
User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 23:04

True enough, an extract from Bollinge's profile, he goes on to say his surgeon will be performing robotic retzius sparing on the NHS in the near future.:

'June 4th 2018: Retzius-sparing Robot-Assisted Laparascopic Radical Prostatectomy'.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 23:05

It is a different surgeon to the one Bollinge had , maybe he has a slightly different technique. It doesn't say which year he had the surgery.โ˜น๏ธ

"Accountant Mark McDerment, 51, who was one of the first patients to benefit, was dealing with work calls the morning after his operation and was discharged from hospital a day later.

The married father-of-three from High Easter, Essex, underwent surgery in March after being diagnosed with prostate cancer last year. ‘I feel I had a good recovery,’ he says. ‘Within a couple of weeks I was driving and taking the train to London again.’"

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 06 Sep 2022 at 13:15
Sounds like itโ€™s old news!
User
Posted 06 Sep 2022 at 20:04

Nice announced guidance on perineal biopsy recently. I suspect the Mail editor asked a journalist to do a report on it and the journalist cobbled something together based on the first Google result.

Never trust anything you read in the papers. You could google "Gell-Mann Amnesia effect" if you want to learn about when to trust journalism.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Sep 2022 at 11:56

It’s not the Retzius sparing approach the Bollinge and I had via the Prof. Although it does also spare the same nerves albeit going through a very complex area (the perineum). Retzius sparing involves inverting the bladder from what I’ve read and accessing the prostate via the cave of Retzius to minimise disturbance of nerves associated with bladder control. Technique was first used (-6+ years ago) by a surgeon form Korea and Italy who the prof works quite closely with.

https://www.santishealth.org/prostate-cancer-information-centre/an-introduction-to-retzius-sparing-radical-prostatectomy/

Edited by member 08 Sep 2022 at 11:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Sep 2022 at 12:46

It is important to note that for Retzius-sparing prostatectomy they don't necessarily approach the prostate via the perineum. Any technique that approaches the prostate from below the bladder and avoids the cave of Retzius is Retzius-sparing.

In my case they still operated (salvage RALP) via my tummy but approached the prostate from below the bladder.

Zum

User
Posted 08 Sep 2022 at 14:38

I think this article is referring to single-port RALP.

Retzius Sparing is something else - a different way to dissect out the prostate without disturbing the Cave of Retzius, but thus far has been done with mutli-port RALP, and not through perineum. There are perhaps only around 10 surgeons in the UK who do Retzius Sparing.

I don't know if single-port RALP is always Retzius Sparing, but I guess it might be as the access path is away from the Cave of Retzius.

Edited by member 08 Sep 2022 at 14:40  | Reason: Not specified