I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bleeding started 5 days after biopsy

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 23:27

Hello,blood has started to appear in my urine 5 days after rectal biopsy. I’ve had it every pee today - day 6 with a bright red spurt followed by more dilutions and then clear urine at the end of the stream. 
As I didn’t see any in the 5 days post biopsy I am wondering if this might be a sign of infection? Any opinions appreciated. 
Rob 

User
Posted 05 Sep 2022 at 02:03

I would not be too worried. Blood in urine up to three weeks post biopsy is normal.

I will say that I am very surprised you have had none until day 6. I would have expected quite a lot on day one and slowly diminishing, but then occasionally it recurring. Today's blood is probably just a blood clot breaking off.

The fact it is bright red when you start to pee and clear by the time you finish means the blood is coming from part of your urinary tract after the bladder, which means 99% certain it is your prostate. 

What about blood in semen (we do get personal here, but don't feel obliged to answer)? Almost black first ejaculation post biopsy, fading to salmon pink over the next week or two would be about normal.

Ejaculating and clearing out your prostate is a good idea, do it fairly often, don't be too surprised if it causes a recurrence of fresh blood when you next pee, but this will diminish over the next couple of weeks.

Are you on blood thinners? If so probably best get medical advice.

If you have pain which is quite persistent in the genital area then infection would be a possibility. If you get a fever then that could be sepsis and would need an immediate visit to A and E.

So if the only symptom is fresh blood at the start of peeing, and this diminishes in a day or two don't worry (even if it then recurs a day or so later) If it shows no signs of diminishing for three or four days call your urologist for advice, if it any part of your genitals starts feeling sore call urologist for advice.

If in two weeks time it still regularly recurs phone your urologist.

If you have anything which could be sepsis related, get to the hospital now.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Sep 2022 at 20:33

Thanks Dave. 
Urology clinic though the 5 day delay may have been due to a cricket game I played on Saturday causing abdominal pressures to dislodge a clot.