Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New Member with AUS

User
Posted 07 Sep 2022 at 23:20

Hi 

I am a 68 year old male and was diagnosed with prostate cancer June 2021. I had a RP September of 2021 and 1 year out my PSA is 0.01, it was over 6 before RP. I have been in continence since but August 29 I had an AUS. I’m in the recovery period and still have pain in my testicles. 5 more weeks before activation 

User
Posted 08 Sep 2022 at 13:47

Sorry Dave, I posted to wrong message. Not sure what privately means but my Dr. Did a cystoscope and he showed me the sphincter and we could see that it would never be able to close completely so that’s why we decided that it would be best to have a AUS installed 

User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 15:55

Hi  Dave

My understanding is that the AUS is a reasonably common procedure in this Country and under the NHS.

L

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Sep 2022 at 23:45

Thank you jlong, Good to here PSA is well under control. Getting the AUS within one year seems quite fast was it done privately?

Dave

User
Posted 08 Sep 2022 at 13:47

Sorry Dave, I posted to wrong message. Not sure what privately means but my Dr. Did a cystoscope and he showed me the sphincter and we could see that it would never be able to close completely so that’s why we decided that it would be best to have a AUS installed 

User
Posted 08 Sep 2022 at 15:03

By privately, I mean not done on the NHS. The NHS would usually take a long time to acknowledge there was a problem, and then go through the bureaucratic hoops to solve it.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Sep 2022 at 17:14

A psa of 0.01 is very encouraging.  The artificial sphincter should be a great help.

To further Dave's point, I believe you're in the US. In the UK most treatent is taxpayer funded free at point of use.  Any other funding is classed as private and never the two types shall meet.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2022 at 00:15

I have health insurance and also on Medicare so between the 2 it should be all paid for.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2022 at 00:19

Has anyone had a very sore scrotum after the AUS surgery 

User
Posted 10 Sep 2022 at 02:11

Hi jlong, we do have people posting from all over the world, but most of us are in the UK and have treatment on the National Health Service (NHS).

There are good and bad things about the NHS, One good thing is that if you have suspected cancer you are treated fairly quickly, and it is free at point of delivery (of course one pays for it out of taxes, so it is not really free). A disadvantage is that the politicians decide what is important and how much the NHS can spend.

I think AUS is too expensive for the NHS so they just give a you a catheter every few months. 

So don't be too surprised if you don't get any replies about AUS. However do keep posting, it's good for us patients to hear about all the options; then we can vote our politicians out for not finding them.

Edited by member 10 Sep 2022 at 02:12  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 15:55

Hi  Dave

My understanding is that the AUS is a reasonably common procedure in this Country and under the NHS.

L

User
Posted 30 Nov 2023 at 18:15

I was offered AUS about 3 years ago and my view was it was quite common on nhs. I turned it down because I ride a bike and the potential for damage was high the consultant told me. 
you need to consider your lifestyle 

User
Posted 18 Dec 2023 at 22:19

Sammy - my consultant says riding a bike is fine with an AUS as long as you have the appropriate saddle e.g. split saddle 

zum