I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Very sore bottom

User
Posted 09 Sep 2022 at 09:26

Hi All I finished radio therapy about 2 months ago and have recently been experiencing a very sore bottom when going to to toilet. Has anyone also experienced this?

Thanks Steve

User
Posted 09 Sep 2022 at 10:57

Yes had the same after my radiotherapy 2  years on much better but still have the odd mucus discharge as a result off my 37 fractions but generally .now ok 👍

User
Posted 09 Sep 2022 at 18:36
In the absence of any suggestion from your hospital, I would be gentle to the affected area. Use a non scented soap and apply a very thin layer of cream such as Bepanthen. It is very mild and used on babies and for burns. It was recommended by my RT treating hospital who said just dab it on rather than rub it in. There are other creams that are similar and different hospitals may well suggest other creams.
Barry
User
Posted 09 Sep 2022 at 21:42
I was given a couple of applicators of a hydrogel called Intrasite by the RT department for this purpose. I haven't finished the second one yet, so haven't explored to see whether it or an equivalent is available from pharmacies.
User
Posted 09 Sep 2022 at 22:40

I was given ActivHeal Hydrogel which worked well.

I did look to see if it was available, but I could only find bulk boxes with 200 tubes on Amazon.

All these are is a water based gel to keep the wound wet, which is how radiation burns are healed. A water based lube might work, except they mostly contain glycerin which contains sugar which might not be a good idea in a wound as it might promote bacterial or fungal growth.