I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Newly diagnosed, massively worried

User
Posted 13 Sep 2022 at 16:49

Went for Biospy today and shown result of MRI Scan that confirmed what was seen in Bone Scan. Looks like cells have moved to Spine and right rib but what i saw its only a tiny blob. Not the news I was expecting and was immediately down-hearted. However, my last PSA was 28, not always but also have weak flow. No blood in semen or urine (except today after Biospy). Was told its normal. Urologist started me on Bicalutamide 50mg for 28 days. Says its to suppress testosterone then everything he said after was a blur. Eventually, i heard another treatment to shrink the prostate, surgery to open up urethra and Chemo to kill the cancer cells. Its not that I want to hear good news, but from the experience in this forum, how bad is it and will it get and can all these treatments be accelerated if i go private. 

Many thanks

Ed 

User
Posted 13 Sep 2022 at 23:00

That was a bit of a whirlwind. The diagnosis process isn't over until you have your biopsy results, but the fact you are on bicalutamide means the medics know you have cancer and have started treating it.

Hormone Therapy (HT) also known as Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADT) is usually given for life. It can slow the cancer down for many years but doesn't eliminate it completely.

I think you need to get the biopsy result and find out exactly what the treatment plan is then we can give you more details. There are people who were diagnoses in a worse state than you who are still alive ten years later. It really just depends on how you respond to treatment.

Dave

User
Posted 13 Sep 2022 at 23:51

Dave, thank you. I agree it makes sense to wait until next week for result of my Biospy. It's just that my mind is all over the place. I can't concentrate and lost my appetite. I haven't told my partner cos we have issues but She'll also freak out easily at this news; and I can't handle that. I look at my 2 young kids and feel immediately sad but try very hard to be positive in their presence. I'm not asking "why me"; but I am asking why testing isn't pushed harder with mandatory yearly letters (or texts) to all over 45yrs (from high risks groups) and 50yrs to all males and constant reminders from GPs. 

Edited by member 13 Sep 2022 at 23:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Sep 2022 at 00:46

You aren't the first person who has been too worried to be able to eat. Personally I was lucky, though I had an aggressive cancer and a PSA over 20. The cancer had not got far beyond the prostate so I was treated with curative intent. So I was never worried. 

In the last few years treatment have advanced and occasionally bone mets are being treated with the view of removing the cancer so there is a small chance that they will aim to cure you rather than just contain the cancer.

The idea of screening is often debated. But current tests are not accurate enough. Thousands of men would be declared clear and then go on to have cancer, and thousands would be treated for non existent disease.

Dave

User
Posted 14 Sep 2022 at 00:52
Going private is not necessary in your situation as you don't need to accelerate the treatment. The bicalutimide is to prepare your body for the hormone injection that you will have in a couple of weeks - if you didn't have the bical first, the injection would make your cancer go hyperactive. Then the ideal situation is that you have the hormone injections for a while to starve the cancer and make it more susceptible to whatever other treatment they throw at it.

Going private wouldn't change any of that.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard