I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Newly diagnosed, any advice would be appreciated

User
Posted 14 Sep 2022 at 22:15

Hi all, diagnosed with prostate cancer on 12/07 - Gleason score 3+3 - 6 so low grade, low risk

my appointment with oncology is not until November, I have met with surgeon and surgery has been ruled out due to other Health conditions , so looking at either radiotherapy or brachytherapy 

I have today got my psa checked for the first time since March- was 4.5 in March, today was 5.1 - what does this mean for the cancer and what impact does this have for me

thanks in advance 

s

User
Posted 15 Sep 2022 at 01:12
Hi Cowboy,

Unfortunately, we have little to go on as we don't know the disposition or volume of your cancer as is normally detailed from your MRI.

3+3 is a low grade cancer which some consultants don't even consider to be cancer, the errant cells being so close looking to normal cells. That you have not yet been started on Hormone Treatment as a precursor to a form of RT would make me think your situation is not regarded as urgent. There are a number of reasons why your PSA could have risen, even a bit of strenuous exercise some hours before the PSA blood test for example and unless there have been new symptoms, even if your Consultant knew of this one relatively small rise, I very much doubt s/he would do anything to change the next appointment.

Barry
User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 16:24

Thanks Barry

good to know