I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

confused NHS

User
Posted 15 Sep 2022 at 16:08

I have 8 letters on my desk offering appointments, cancelling said appointments and remaking 2 of them again. I have 2 letters received on the same day offering me apointments at two different hospitals at almost the same appointment time.   I have a 4+4 confirmation and am waiting for the result of a whole body scan.  Now theyve cancelled my appointment for 4 Oct and the letter says if I'm concerned about my condition I should contact my GP !!!!   Too damn right I'm concerned but its out of my GPs hands.

User
Posted 15 Sep 2022 at 17:55

The NHS does not run like a well oiled machine, it runs like a clunky one with the wheels falling off.

Hospital should have a Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS) you could complain to them, they might even invite to a meeting to discuss your case and then cancel it at the last minute.

Dave

User
Posted 15 Sep 2022 at 18:12

Bigbloke, perhaps try calling the numbers on the appointment letter and ask for further information. If you don't get any success then as Dave advised get PALS involved, if you are in an area where PALS operate.

I have had two letters on the same day one makeing an appointment and another cancelling it.

Hope you get sorted 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 15 Sep 2022 at 22:37

You could discuss with your GP being referred elsewhere instead, and your GP may be able to exert some pressure on the original hospital. If you are going to get referred elsewhere, you might want to think about using one of the main cancer centres, although that may mean longer travel.

User
Posted 16 Sep 2022 at 09:05
Have worked/had dealings with PALS over the years in a professional capacity, they are the way forward in your situation…..

‘be firm but polite’

Last week I have had three letters in the space of three days all saying the same thing, I know what your going through.

User
Posted 16 Sep 2022 at 14:47
I have had a prompt action following my contacting PALS due to lack of response but that was long before Covid. Also, on one occasion my treating hospital gave me appointments for two scans in different buildings at overlapping times and being nuclear scans I subsequently found out these scans should not even have been done on the same day. My belief is this happens due to the way appointments are requested and allocated. Consultants request a 'Booking Team' for Mr X to have a certain scan and depending on urgency, the Booking Team give an appointment (without checking anything else Mr X might have arranged at the time) with the coincidental result as above. By contrast, when I had my treatment in Germany, the nurse ascertained what scans and tests I needed and booked these for me so that they were done at appropriate times.

The situation has been made worse with a hold up in obtaining tracer for some scans, staff shortages due to staff absent being affected by Covid, and insufficient staff anyway plus other factors. I am currently awaiting a Colonoscopy at my local hospital in Devon which has been cancelled twice due to those involved coming down from London to do the procedure being unable to come due to rail strikes. The London staff come at weekends due to lack of local staff and long waiting lists.

Barry