Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Exercise post RALP

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 17:51
Hi Nick, how is the exercise going? I am 2 weeks behind you and have made the effort to start the gym again from yesterday. All I am starting with is 30mins on cross trainer and 15mins on the recumbent bike not even looking at any weights.

I am a keen cyclist but have decided to keep of the bike for at least another 2 months to give the part nerves sparing time to recover

Hope all is going well

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 18:13

Hi Biggy,

Glad to hear you’re getting back in the gym. Sounds like a sensible level to get going with too. I’ve definite put on a few pounds sat around doing not much, looking forward to shifting them!

I did a 2 mile run a couple of weeks ago which was fine when I did it but bloody hurt the legs for a few days after! Just totally unfit and unused to that sort of exercise. So I’ve decided to start with stretching and some home style Pilates. It’s like Pilates but a bit rubbish. But it seems to be working.

I had my first post op results meeting with the surgeon today. Expect the unexpected!! Again. Apparently he found a nodule full of cancer at the base of the prostate that they weren’t expecting to find. Positive margins all round and a 50% chance of cancer returning. So I’m going to carry on with exercise and living normally until the next test at 3 months. On the plus side he said I can get back surfing. I’ve been stood on the cliffs filming my boy for the last two months so am looking forward to getting back in on Saturday. Although will definitely ache in every single muscle and bone after, for sure. 

Take care and enjoy(!) the gym

Nick

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 18:43
Cheers Nick,

Sorry to hear your news, I've got mine on Monday I'm having a phone consultation with uclh, so getting a bit twitchy, maybe I will relax a bit once I've had my results but it does sound like everyone gets anxious waiting for the psa results every 3 months.

Did try a couple of stretches today but didn't feel comfortable so stopped them, I'm hoping to get back kitesurfing after the new year we just need some normality back into our lives !!!

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 20:09

Thanks Biggy. Yeah I think you’re right. I’m going to try and forget about the results as much as I can, not let them dominate my life. Fingers crossed you get some positive news on Monday.

Never tried kitesurfing, seen guys getting massive airs at Bigbury Bay, and Hawkers cove nr Padstow. Mad stuff!

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 20:53

Nick , post op investigations and treatments have improved since I had my RP five years ago, I had positive margins etc.  Looking at your bio, did you get the gallbladder looked at. I have sludge in my gallbladder , which apparently was visible on my pre surgery CT ,but nobody mentioned it.

Just keep going.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 21:22

Thanks Chris, I’m certainly not downhearted and am usually quite positive minded. So will crack on.

They were supposed to get me back in for a gallbladder scan 3 months after the first ultrasound which was in Jan or Feb! My GP has just got onto it so am waiting for a test. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. (I’ve said that before!)

Cheers

Nick

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 21:46

Nick , I refused the gallbladder removal, I had been back into theatre numerous times already with my stricture. I cut out rich creamy foods and I have been fine. M&S does some really rich food.☹️.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 22:15

Chris, sounds like you made the right choice. I hope it was a straightforward decision for you to make. M&S’s loss, your gain. 

Cheers

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 22:31

Nick, yes good advice 'expect the unexpected'. Sorry the results were not as hoped. 

Still waiting for my post operative meeting 10 weeks post surgery. Told to ring back first or second week in December... Who knows what this will reveal when it eventually happens.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 22:46

Jim, I was quite ambivalent going into this meeting and abiding by my other favourite phrase ‘hope for the best, prepare for the worst’. Obvs it’s neither the best nor the worst but not getting my hopes up too much was wise in the circs.

Even so, I had to bin work this afternoon and hand off meetings to a colleague. It turned out that it was quite a big deal for me to process.

it might be time to dust off the third of my phrases, borrowed from the Royal Marines:

‘Cheerfulness in the face of adversity’

Good luck with yours, I hope it’s straightforward and positive.

Nick

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 00:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Positive margins all round and a 50% chance of cancer returning. So I’m going to carry on with exercise and living normally until the next test at 3 months.

Sorry to see this, Nick. What was your post-op PSA? That is a reliable indicator for deciding whether to go straight for adjuvant RT or wait to see if salvage RT is needed. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 08:39

Hi Lyn, thanks. Pre op was 24, post op 0.01. So that’s great news and we’re definitely waiting to see if it goes up. RT will happen if it gets to 0.2 or if the curve is heading clearly in that direction. 

So there are some positives to take from this and I know I’m still maybe only on the second rung of a very tall ladder. 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 14:14

I hear you Nick.  All my post op margins and lymph nodes were clear and my onco and MDT were optimistic that was it.  Then my post op PSA came in at 0.5 and it knocked me for six.  It is very tough to go through surgery and still have all the uncertainty hanging over you. 

Hopefully you get back out on the board soon.   The day I got back out sailing on my laser was a happy one.  One thing I have changed is that normally I was training for triathlon which is lots of cardio.  But I switched over to Crossfit/personal trainer which is weights based to try to mitigate ADT impacts.  If you think further treatment may be coming down the track (and hopefully it doesn't materialise) might be something to consider. I have found it extremely beneficial and hoping to keep it up through my next phase of treatment. 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 19:14

Jellies, that must have been a blow, sorry to hear it. You’ve not had a huge amount of good news have you. But I hope the next phase is more successful.

Great to know you were out on the boat and have found a way of keeping fit. I’ll keep your advice up my sleeve and hope I don’t need it. 

Good luck with the next stage.

Nick