Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Exercise post RALP

User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 17:10

Hi all

I got very little in the way of specific advice about how much activity to do post RALP. I’m day 4 post op now and wondered what others are doing/did.

For example, I sit in a chair in the bedroom most of my days so far, interspersed with trips to the loo, going downstairs to eat, walk outside for maybe 200m two or three times a day or watch a bit of Homes under the Hammer and my usual cartwheeling lessons. (You’re right, I would never watch HUTH). I cough and sneeze now and again (painful) and don’t lift anything heavier than a half full kettle.

Is this about right? What does everyone else do?

thanks in advance. Nobody gave me any guidance on this so I’m in the dark and worried about overdoing or undergoing it.

Cheers

Nick

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 08:00
Oh lol sorry that will be 2 yrs of Decapeptyl. Brain fog. I read 4 weeks doh πŸ™„
User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 21:38
Sounds like a good plan. The rather small incisions on your tummy produce a risk of making you forget that prostate removal is seriously major surgery. You really do need to take things easy, and your work has to accept you are on sick leave for a very good reason.

As things start improving it is a matter of judgement. Progress is slow, and there is no green light coming on when you are capable of returning to work. It is a decision, based on you, your work, and the impact on what you can cope with.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 20:28

Hi Nick,

I think you've got it about right, short walks for now and lifting no heavier than half a kettle. You can do more as your recovery progresses but remember not to overdo things. 

Worth taking your time over the recovery in my opinion. 

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 20:48

Nick, 

Your in the same place as me. Short walks. No heavy lifting. No bending etc. Taking it steady, letting those around me do the running around for a change.... Listen to what your body is telling you.

Best Regards

Jim

User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 22:23
Good advice as above. It’s keyhole so things not likely to tear. I’m the worlds worst patient but went through the mill both physically and mentally with 15 days in hospital. When I got out I did the bins and washed up and cleaned a car. Your body grumbles when it’s time to stop , so you just stop , Seriously. But well important to build up over time. Some good walks ( daily ) a few light weights , some good leg squats. Keep everything in limber for the rest of your life. Good luck πŸ‘
User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 23:01

Nick, take it easy, but not too easy. It is easy to overdo things, listen to your body. You don't want to undo all the good work your surgeon has done. One symptom of overdoing frequently reported on here is blood in the urine. 

Keeping mobile will keep the bowels moving. 

I prefer bargain hunt to homes under the hammer.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 18 Sep 2022 at 23:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 23:08

Chris J,  he is 4 days post op, not 4 months! A few light weights and some good leg squats???? I think your memory is playing tricks on you πŸ˜‚

Nick, your body needs about 5000 calories a day to recover from what is major abdominal surgery so small steps and lots of rest needed. Despite what CJ says, hernia is a significant risk post-keyhole RP and more likely to happen to the men who try to do too much too soon. Definitely don't try a few light weights or squats yet ... maybe aim for those as you get to 6 weeks and the post-op consultation?

Edited by member 18 Sep 2022 at 23:19  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 08:50

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Oh lol sorry that will be 2 yrs of Decapeptyl. Brain fog. I read 4 weeks doh πŸ™„

ha ha, Chris good job I only saw this when I got up and saw Lyn’s note at the same time. Otherwise I would have been doing star jumps at midnight πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 12:39

Here's how it went for me. 

RP was end of April.  For first couple of weeks after did what you are doing.   Lots of sitting around doing the crossword, watching TV and doing a couple of short walks a day.  

Once catheter came out did more walking, gradually increasing the distance.   At this stage I was also dealing with the frustration of incontinence and having to bring spare pads and duck into McDonald's to get changed etc.  But week over week this improved and gradually could go on longer walks and short mountain hikes.   I also did physio recommended stretching exercises and kegels etc.  Just to reiterate this phase was very frustrating with the incontinence but should improve week by week. 

By week 10 I was back sailing my Laser in light winds.   Still could feel a tug on the abdominal area but not pain. By week 14 was back at Crossfit which involves lots of abs exercises, weights, and stretches.  Again could feel tightness in abs but careful not to overdo it. By now at week 20 doing everything as before surgery without any tightness whatsoever.  

Everyone is different.  But I would say to take it handy for the first 4-6 weeks and then start pushing the envelope bit by bit and you will get back to where you were beforehand.   There is probably a balance between overdoing it and not doing anything and you want to find somewhere in the middle.  

Edited by member 19 Sep 2022 at 12:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 15:42

Jellies thank you, this is great to hear your experience. I looked at your profile, we’re the same age, size etc. I hope the nodes test ok.

Finding the balance is the thing, I’ll refer back to your notes as I go.

Thanks again,

Nick

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 21:46
Four days! At that point I was definitely being very cautious about exercise and taking an afternoon nap.

But as someone who hates being tied down, I did do a few forays to the nearest shops after a few more days - but was dependent on them having toilets so I could empty my catheter bag. Then after the catheter was out it was a different problem, my initial leaking was enhanced by movement and I had to always plan any gentle local walks around opportunities to change pads.

It was around 6-8 weeks I started doing "real" exercise, though again limited by pad changing. Bit by bit things got better, I was determined to do things. I worked out ways to manage, going on a family beach activity holiday and then a cycling holiday, involving some dinghy sailing and quite a lot of (gentle) cycling despite the pad issue. (Occasionally it needed an diversion behind a bush).

The big breakthrough was getting down to two pads a day, around six months after the operation. It meant I was safe doing anything with a spare pad in the back pocket. Six years later I still carry that spare pad, though it is rare for me to need it these days.

Good luck, it is a process you need to work through.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2022 at 19:50

Nick, I certainly went back to work as soon as I could - I didn't enjoy being an invalid!

However I recall deciding to go to a work "away-day" before I returned properly, just because otherwise I would have been out of the loop. That really did challenge the hardly recovered incontinence, I only got through by changing pads every hour.

I think 6 weeks was the point when I started doing things in earnest, albeit cautiously at first. At the time that was a big psychological breakthrough.

Edited by member 20 Sep 2022 at 22:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Sep 2022 at 23:08
My work was basically office based, but did involve me travelling to different sites to sort out problems in different places. And you are right, I could do a proportion of it from home which was very helpful.

Closest and main site was 20 minutes drive on a good day, cyclable (once I was up to that) in around 45 minutes with a route on side roads plus an off-road track across fields to avoid a main road.

There wasn't really a defined point where there was a big change, but at 6 weeks I had the psychological breakthrough that I was at a stage I could work out how to manage despite issues. It was quite a few months more before I could forget I had issues.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 22:06

Return to work. I was guided by my surgeon who said for a desk bound job like mine he would expect me to take 4-5 weeks off. He said he wanted me to concentrate on getting better and not on work 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 09:37

Post Op + 6.

I've got my doctor to sign me off work for 3 weeks which will make 4 weeks off work in total. 

Like you I like my job, but I will follow the clinical advice. Key hole surgery makes me forget that I have had major abdominal surgery. Fitness wise I am 5% of where I was pre op. Its going to be a steady road back to where I was for sure. 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 15:03

Nick , I had a small procedure a few weeks ago , my discharge letter actually says consult with your insurance company before driving. 

I was back behind my desk after five weeks and visiting UK building sites after 7 weeks, I did have to stop for a quick sleep on longer journeys. 

Passing blood is frequently mentioned by guys that have done too much to early.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2022 at 18:13

Thanks Chris, no blood so hopefully all ok. 

N

User
Posted 28 Oct 2022 at 22:07
Sounds like you are doing well Nick, well done.

I have to say that when I was recovering from surgery (over six years ago now) the big changes were psychological. I guess things were improving slowly all the time, but my confidence that I could do more normal things happened in steps.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 13:35

Nick I'm 2 weeks behind you and I'm itching to get back to some normality,  my wife is keeping me in check though. I had the catheter in for 2 weeks then taken out  then i caught an infection so it's been back in for 2 weeks I'm hoping to have it removed again tomorrow and able to drive again,  I'm doing plenty of walking to keep active. I'm a keen cyclist and kitesurfer but I know they're out for another month or two , I know I'm healing well on the outside just need everything to settle and heal on the inside 

Good luck with your recovery and keep us updated 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 13:44

Nick , re the pads, I found with a small amount of leaking tena pads were excellent at containing any odour, even if used for more than a day. I sometimes put some tissue in a nappy liner inside the pad , the tissue and liner would catch any small leak and be changed rather than changing the pad. Sainsburys are the only supermarket I know that still sell nappy liners, they are not as good as they used to be now they are eco friendly.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 16:30
Does your local council sports centre not have any classes. My one does low impact special β€œcancer” classes and Tai Chi classes with instructors trained by Macmillan. I have not been to any yet however I am planning to go in January and build up slowly. The ironic thing is I initially failed the sports centre assessment ( high b.p ) and I had to get a note from a GP saying it was okay for me to do exercise!πŸ€ͺ

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 22:39

Chris thanks, another good tip. I’ll try Sainsburys. Pads aren’t cheap!

If you weren’t around 250 miles away from Nottingham, I could have offered you a box and a half of Tena. My local continence team sent me two boxes, but I’m fortunate to have regained virtually full bladder control seven weeks after my RALP, so have stopped wearing them.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2022 at 06:45

First of all congratulations Robin on your speedy leak recovery! Excellent news. And maybe there’s someone reading this from your neck of the woods who might be able to make use of the spares…

Cheers

Nick

User
Posted 10 Nov 2022 at 07:42

Nick in our area they have a swim to beat cancer at our local authority pool. Other areas, and hopefully one near you, do the same.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2022 at 08:38

I am doing good thank you for asking. I've been increasing my exercise since week 4, but still some way to go to where I was. It all takes time.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 18:43
Cheers Nick,

Sorry to hear your news, I've got mine on Monday I'm having a phone consultation with uclh, so getting a bit twitchy, maybe I will relax a bit once I've had my results but it does sound like everyone gets anxious waiting for the psa results every 3 months.

Did try a couple of stretches today but didn't feel comfortable so stopped them, I'm hoping to get back kitesurfing after the new year we just need some normality back into our lives !!!

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 20:09

Thanks Biggy. Yeah I think you’re right. I’m going to try and forget about the results as much as I can, not let them dominate my life. Fingers crossed you get some positive news on Monday.

Never tried kitesurfing, seen guys getting massive airs at Bigbury Bay, and Hawkers cove nr Padstow. Mad stuff!

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 20:53

Nick , post op investigations and treatments have improved since I had my RP five years ago, I had positive margins etc.  Looking at your bio, did you get the gallbladder looked at. I have sludge in my gallbladder , which apparently was visible on my pre surgery CT ,but nobody mentioned it.

Just keep going.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 22:31

Nick, yes good advice 'expect the unexpected'. Sorry the results were not as hoped. 

Still waiting for my post operative meeting 10 weeks post surgery. Told to ring back first or second week in December... Who knows what this will reveal when it eventually happens.

User
Posted 24 Nov 2022 at 14:14

I hear you Nick.  All my post op margins and lymph nodes were clear and my onco and MDT were optimistic that was it.  Then my post op PSA came in at 0.5 and it knocked me for six.  It is very tough to go through surgery and still have all the uncertainty hanging over you. 

Hopefully you get back out on the board soon.   The day I got back out sailing on my laser was a happy one.  One thing I have changed is that normally I was training for triathlon which is lots of cardio.  But I switched over to Crossfit/personal trainer which is weights based to try to mitigate ADT impacts.  If you think further treatment may be coming down the track (and hopefully it doesn't materialise) might be something to consider. I have found it extremely beneficial and hoping to keep it up through my next phase of treatment. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 20:28

Hi Nick,

I think you've got it about right, short walks for now and lifting no heavier than half a kettle. You can do more as your recovery progresses but remember not to overdo things. 

Worth taking your time over the recovery in my opinion. 

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 20:48

Nick, 

Your in the same place as me. Short walks. No heavy lifting. No bending etc. Taking it steady, letting those around me do the running around for a change.... Listen to what your body is telling you.

Best Regards

Jim

User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 22:23
Good advice as above. It’s keyhole so things not likely to tear. I’m the worlds worst patient but went through the mill both physically and mentally with 15 days in hospital. When I got out I did the bins and washed up and cleaned a car. Your body grumbles when it’s time to stop , so you just stop , Seriously. But well important to build up over time. Some good walks ( daily ) a few light weights , some good leg squats. Keep everything in limber for the rest of your life. Good luck πŸ‘
User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 23:01

Nick, take it easy, but not too easy. It is easy to overdo things, listen to your body. You don't want to undo all the good work your surgeon has done. One symptom of overdoing frequently reported on here is blood in the urine. 

Keeping mobile will keep the bowels moving. 

I prefer bargain hunt to homes under the hammer.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 18 Sep 2022 at 23:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Sep 2022 at 23:08

Chris J,  he is 4 days post op, not 4 months! A few light weights and some good leg squats???? I think your memory is playing tricks on you πŸ˜‚

Nick, your body needs about 5000 calories a day to recover from what is major abdominal surgery so small steps and lots of rest needed. Despite what CJ says, hernia is a significant risk post-keyhole RP and more likely to happen to the men who try to do too much too soon. Definitely don't try a few light weights or squats yet ... maybe aim for those as you get to 6 weeks and the post-op consultation?

Edited by member 18 Sep 2022 at 23:19  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 08:00
User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 08:48

Thanks Lyn. 5000 calories! Wow, isn’t that about twice what is normally eat? I’ve been on a fairly normal diet and everything feels about right so won’t overdo it.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 08:50

ha ha, Chris good job I only saw this when I got up and saw Lyn’s note at the same time. Otherwise I would have been doing star jumps at midnight πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 12:39

Here's how it went for me. 

RP was end of April.  For first couple of weeks after did what you are doing.   Lots of sitting around doing the crossword, watching TV and doing a couple of short walks a day.  

Once catheter came out did more walking, gradually increasing the distance.   At this stage I was also dealing with the frustration of incontinence and having to bring spare pads and duck into McDonald's to get changed etc.  But week over week this improved and gradually could go on longer walks and short mountain hikes.   I also did physio recommended stretching exercises and kegels etc.  Just to reiterate this phase was very frustrating with the incontinence but should improve week by week. 

By week 10 I was back sailing my Laser in light winds.   Still could feel a tug on the abdominal area but not pain. By week 14 was back at Crossfit which involves lots of abs exercises, weights, and stretches.  Again could feel tightness in abs but careful not to overdo it. By now at week 20 doing everything as before surgery without any tightness whatsoever.  

Everyone is different.  But I would say to take it handy for the first 4-6 weeks and then start pushing the envelope bit by bit and you will get back to where you were beforehand.   There is probably a balance between overdoing it and not doing anything and you want to find somewhere in the middle.  

Edited by member 19 Sep 2022 at 12:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 15:42

Jellies thank you, this is great to hear your experience. I looked at your profile, we’re the same age, size etc. I hope the nodes test ok.

Finding the balance is the thing, I’ll refer back to your notes as I go.

Thanks again,

Nick

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 21:46
Four days! At that point I was definitely being very cautious about exercise and taking an afternoon nap.

But as someone who hates being tied down, I did do a few forays to the nearest shops after a few more days - but was dependent on them having toilets so I could empty my catheter bag. Then after the catheter was out it was a different problem, my initial leaking was enhanced by movement and I had to always plan any gentle local walks around opportunities to change pads.

It was around 6-8 weeks I started doing "real" exercise, though again limited by pad changing. Bit by bit things got better, I was determined to do things. I worked out ways to manage, going on a family beach activity holiday and then a cycling holiday, involving some dinghy sailing and quite a lot of (gentle) cycling despite the pad issue. (Occasionally it needed an diversion behind a bush).

The big breakthrough was getting down to two pads a day, around six months after the operation. It meant I was safe doing anything with a spare pad in the back pocket. Six years later I still carry that spare pad, though it is rare for me to need it these days.

Good luck, it is a process you need to work through.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2022 at 07:26

Thank you JB, great to hear your story. Like you, I’m pretty active so getting back to full fitness is important to me and my family. 
Were you working too? 
Nick

User
Posted 20 Sep 2022 at 19:50

Nick, I certainly went back to work as soon as I could - I didn't enjoy being an invalid!

However I recall deciding to go to a work "away-day" before I returned properly, just because otherwise I would have been out of the loop. That really did challenge the hardly recovered incontinence, I only got through by changing pads every hour.

I think 6 weeks was the point when I started doing things in earnest, albeit cautiously at first. At the time that was a big psychological breakthrough.

Edited by member 20 Sep 2022 at 22:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Sep 2022 at 08:24

Thank you JB. What sort of work was it, if you don’t mind me asking? Office based? Did you wfh initially? 

My office has just moved, so instead of a nice 10 min drive it’ll be an hour. Which means I’ll be hybrid working but will still be in there three days a week. Not looking forward to those long drives. 

User
Posted 21 Sep 2022 at 23:08
My work was basically office based, but did involve me travelling to different sites to sort out problems in different places. And you are right, I could do a proportion of it from home which was very helpful.

Closest and main site was 20 minutes drive on a good day, cyclable (once I was up to that) in around 45 minutes with a route on side roads plus an off-road track across fields to avoid a main road.

There wasn't really a defined point where there was a big change, but at 6 weeks I had the psychological breakthrough that I was at a stage I could work out how to manage despite issues. It was quite a few months more before I could forget I had issues.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 13:58

JB I’m trying not to think about work with rose tinted specs. I like my job but with time it’s easy to forget the pressures that come with it, luckily my wife is good at reminding me! So I won’t rush back but neither do I like leaving them to battle through what I know is a very busy period. Im only seven days post op so need to tell myself that. I guess I’ll know when it’s right to start working again.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 21:38
Sounds like a good plan. The rather small incisions on your tummy produce a risk of making you forget that prostate removal is seriously major surgery. You really do need to take things easy, and your work has to accept you are on sick leave for a very good reason.

As things start improving it is a matter of judgement. Progress is slow, and there is no green light coming on when you are capable of returning to work. It is a decision, based on you, your work, and the impact on what you can cope with.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 22:06

Return to work. I was guided by my surgeon who said for a desk bound job like mine he would expect me to take 4-5 weeks off. He said he wanted me to concentrate on getting better and not on work 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 07:49

Thanks Jim. Did you take the whole 4-5 weeks off?

User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 09:37

Post Op + 6.

I've got my doctor to sign me off work for 3 weeks which will make 4 weeks off work in total. 

Like you I like my job, but I will follow the clinical advice. Key hole surgery makes me forget that I have had major abdominal surgery. Fitness wise I am 5% of where I was pre op. Its going to be a steady road back to where I was for sure. 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 09:51
If you have to drive to work, check how long before your insurer will cover you. Some hospitals state on the patient leaflet for RP that you can drive after 2 weeks, sometimes it is the surgeon who tells you (and most will say 2 weeks), some insurers say you can drive as soon as the surgeon tells you, others say 2 or 4 weeks for abdominal surgery or that you can drive once you believe you can do an emergency stop safely. My husband had a company car so it wasn't that straightforward ... they wouldn't cover him until they had a letter from the urologist confirming he was safe to drive, which the uro refused to provide so in the event, it was 12 weeks before he could drive the company car.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 12:07

Jim, yes sorry you’re at about the same stage as me. Easy to lose track of who’s who (no offence)!

Yep, exactly how I feel. I reckon I walked a mile yesterday in one go, although aching a bit more in the buttock/perineum area after and today. I scaled it back this morning a bit but didn’t feel too bad. The odd little twinge down there too but I imagine it’s ok.

The bit I struggle with is not really knowing how much activity or exercise is too much. How do I know if the surgeon’s internal stitches are holding ok or if I’ve pulled them out or buggered up his plumbing job some other way? I imagine nobody can tell me this until it’s too late so have to take it easy…but my taking it easy could be the next man’s massively overdoing it. I’m probably overthinking this and just need to carry on as I am if it feels ok. But I’m a bloody fidget and usually very active so it’s very frustrating. Ho hum.

@Lyn, I’ll check my insurance details! Thanks, as always.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 15:03

Nick , I had a small procedure a few weeks ago , my discharge letter actually says consult with your insurance company before driving. 

I was back behind my desk after five weeks and visiting UK building sites after 7 weeks, I did have to stop for a quick sleep on longer journeys. 

Passing blood is frequently mentioned by guys that have done too much to early.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2022 at 18:13

Thanks Chris, no blood so hopefully all ok. 

N

User
Posted 06 Oct 2022 at 21:08

Hi, just seen this post after starting mine, I am now 9 days post RALP how far should I be walking? I thought I was doing OK and not overdoing things but been told I am walking to far/long even though I feel fine

User
Posted 06 Oct 2022 at 21:46

Hi Biggy, my nurse said they won’t tell you how far or how much to do because everyone is different. One man’s short walk is another’s marathon so it’s about what feels right. I was walking somewhere between half a mile and a mile at day 9. It was the perineal aching that stopped me going further.

Hope that helps and good luck. I’m 21 days post op and movement/distance is hugely improved. I walked 5 miles today with the wife and dog.

Cheers

Nick

User
Posted 06 Oct 2022 at 21:56

Thanks for reply Nick, I'm just starting with the perineum pain today mainly from sitting more upright. Walked just under 3mile today with wife and dog and felt good but told by urology dept it's to far to soon so looks like I will reign it in. 

User
Posted 06 Oct 2022 at 22:08

My surgeon told me to go by the colour of the urine in the bag. If it's pink or red, you're doing too much, so back off a bit.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 06 Oct 2022 at 22:20

Biggy, my perineum pain almost disappeared after I had the catheter out at day 14. Fingers crossed it’s the same for you.

Nick

User
Posted 07 Oct 2022 at 08:54

Thanks fellas apart from that feeling good , catheter due out next Wednesday 

User
Posted 28 Oct 2022 at 17:07

I’m just over 6 weeks post op and down to one pad a day. I didn’t think I’d improve this quickly, especially in the couple of weeks after the catheter came out, which felt distressing at the time.

I’m back at work more or less full time as of next week, although mostly from home. 

The big hurdle came last week when I woke up one morning and realised I’d accepted my situation. I stopped being angry and upset.  It helped that my incontinence was improving and I could manage that side of things better, but it really came out of nowhere. Accepting how things will be is a massive step for me and I feel much better for it.

First post op appointment with the surgeon in 4 weeks. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Nick

User
Posted 28 Oct 2022 at 22:07
Sounds like you are doing well Nick, well done.

I have to say that when I was recovering from surgery (over six years ago now) the big changes were psychological. I guess things were improving slowly all the time, but my confidence that I could do more normal things happened in steps.

User
Posted 29 Oct 2022 at 18:10

Thanks JB. I agree, the psychological stuff is difficult. I really needed to talk to people and just offload this stuff, family, friends, colleagues and especially my wife. It helps me keep a positive frame of mind which has been essential. Difficult to do all the time but important to try. 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 06:45

I’m now 8 weeks post op.
Scars are healed apart from one tiny scab.

I wear a pad which I could wear for a few days without needing to change, although I do change more regularly because of the stale wee smell! 

I get random pains in my perineum, usually when I’ve been sitting in one position for a while. Difficult when driving as I need to find somewhere to pull over and get out and walk around. 

I’m back at work full time, mostly wfh but with one or two days going to the office which is an hours drive each way.

I also have lower back pain from two months of sitting around, usually with a walk each day but no other exercise. 

so my question is, after 8 weeks post op, what exercise do you recommend for lower back pain? I’m 6ft, 11.5 stone and usually quite fit.

Thanks in advance

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 13:35

Nick I'm 2 weeks behind you and I'm itching to get back to some normality,  my wife is keeping me in check though. I had the catheter in for 2 weeks then taken out  then i caught an infection so it's been back in for 2 weeks I'm hoping to have it removed again tomorrow and able to drive again,  I'm doing plenty of walking to keep active. I'm a keen cyclist and kitesurfer but I know they're out for another month or two , I know I'm healing well on the outside just need everything to settle and heal on the inside 

Good luck with your recovery and keep us updated 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 13:44

Nick , re the pads, I found with a small amount of leaking tena pads were excellent at containing any odour, even if used for more than a day. I sometimes put some tissue in a nappy liner inside the pad , the tissue and liner would catch any small leak and be changed rather than changing the pad. Sainsburys are the only supermarket I know that still sell nappy liners, they are not as good as they used to be now they are eco friendly.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 13:46

Sorry to hear about the infection Biggy, hope you don’t catch another once the catheter is out. 
my wife is the same, good job they are around otherwise we’d all be back inside with hernias by now!

My next move is trying some gentle running, build it up bit by bit. But that will probably aggravate the back pain, hence the need for some other type of back exercise that won’t muck up whatever they’ve done inside. 
if I’m lucky then I reckon surfing is back on the cards after Christmas. I’ve spent the last 2 months having to watch my 13 yr old boy have all the fun!

Good luck with recovery too. 
cheers

Nick

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 13:48

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 14:25

Cheers Nick, I also suffer from sciatica and a bad neck, but if there's a good thing that's come out of all this is that since I've been off the bike and kiting my aches have gone !!! I am thinking of starting pilates again as this concentrates on core muscles but will check with consultant 1st 

Cheers Biggy 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 14:32

Yes my aches and pains disappeared too while I was off work, sitting around with the catheter in and then -lo and behold - they came back when I returned to work! It’s not good for you!!

I was thinking Pilates or yoga too, in combination with some back strengthening exercises. 

Cheers

N

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 16:30
Does your local council sports centre not have any classes. My one does low impact special β€œcancer” classes and Tai Chi classes with instructors trained by Macmillan. I have not been to any yet however I am planning to go in January and build up slowly. The ironic thing is I initially failed the sports centre assessment ( high b.p ) and I had to get a note from a GP saying it was okay for me to do exercise!πŸ€ͺ

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 21:37

Hi Dave,

I’ve never heard of cancer exercise classes, I’ll have a look around. I’ve never asked about that sort of thing but maybe they exist in Plymouth.

Cheers

Nick

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 22:39

If you weren’t around 250 miles away from Nottingham, I could have offered you a box and a half of Tena. My local continence team sent me two boxes, but I’m fortunate to have regained virtually full bladder control seven weeks after my RALP, so have stopped wearing them.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2022 at 06:45

First of all congratulations Robin on your speedy leak recovery! Excellent news. And maybe there’s someone reading this from your neck of the woods who might be able to make use of the spares…

Cheers

Nick

User
Posted 10 Nov 2022 at 07:42

Nick in our area they have a swim to beat cancer at our local authority pool. Other areas, and hopefully one near you, do the same.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2022 at 08:29

Thanks Jim, I’ll investigate. How’s recovery for you?

User
Posted 10 Nov 2022 at 08:38

I am doing good thank you for asking. I've been increasing my exercise since week 4, but still some way to go to where I was. It all takes time.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2022 at 17:49

Hi Nick ,

I  am two weeks ahead of you, 10 weeks ago tomorrow . I started building up by walking about increasing step count day on day, and playing third round of golf in just over a week(not risking it for 8 weeks) tomorrow still holding back a little. Did have lots of lower back pain from beginning to about week 7/8, just do what excercise you feel is enough for you (without overdoing it) mostly important , hope your back pain eases off. 

Still get aches and random pains sometimes but had them before so nothing new there .

good luck with managing your back pain .

colin

User
Posted 10 Nov 2022 at 18:06

Jim and Colin thanks, glad to hear you’re both doing well. I feel like I could up my exercise, finding the time is the next thing. 

Cheers

Nick