I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemo and Radiotherapy

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 20:12

My husband was diagnosed in July with prostate cancer - T3 N1 M0.  Today we saw the oncologist today and he wants to put him on 6 cycles of chemo followed by 7 weeks of radiotherapy plus 3 years hormone therapy. He is 55 - has anyone else been through this as it seems a lot. Thanks x

User
Posted 19 Sep 2022 at 23:22

Well I haven't personally. I was 53 year old, T3 N0 M0 . I had brachytherapy, RT and two years HT. When you add in an N1 you have to up the treatment to another level. 

At the moment your husband's diagnosis is just about the right side of curable, but he is very very close to being incurable (might live another 5 to 20 years, but would need HT for life).

So they really need to throw everything at it, to kill all cancer in prostate and hopefully any cells which have travelled a little further afield.

All the treatments being offered are reasonably easy to tolerate (even chemo). I'm not saying it will be a walk in the park by any means. If he found a treatment unbearable he could refuse. The oncologist knows what the average person will need and can tolerate so I would go with that unless your hubby finds he is not average (who is?)

We have members who have the same diagnosis as your hubby and the same treatment, but I don't know if they are regular posters and will reply.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Sep 2022 at 06:23

Thank you Dave that is really helpful.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2022 at 21:52

To Caz P - I can’t reply direct as not permitted but thank you it really helped ❤️

User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 18:25

Ah glad you saw it.

I was just say to put a message on to say I private messaged you .
Maybe it’s because you are new and haven’t posted much.

User
Posted 26 Nov 2022 at 16:15

Im 51 and have a similar diagnosis.  After my prostatectomy two pelvic lymph nodes lit on PSMA scan.   Started 6x3 week cycles of Taxotere yesterday.  After that it is 5-6 weeks of full pelvic radio and then targeted radio to the identified lymph nodes.  Plus am on Decapeptyl HT injections for 2 years.  Seems to be standard enough to hit it with chemo first, particularly for younger men. 

Gonna be a long road.  My plan is to keep active as much as possible and try to schedule nice things to do in between treatments as I feel up to it. I think the treatments are tough but designed to be doable.  Best ot luck and fingers crossed for you and your husband that the treatment works out. 

User
Posted 24 Dec 2022 at 21:46

I hope you are doing ok and your treatment is going well. My husband has had 4 out of 6 and is managing but is struggling with some of the side effects. Have a good Christmas and all the best for 2023.