I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

latest post RP check-up

User
Posted 21 Sep 2022 at 14:12

I had prostate surgery in March at the Marsden at the age of 50. Post-op, my PSA was recorded as detectable after six weeks as 0.01. The exercise was repeated six weeks later (i.e. at the three-month checkpoint) and also came back as 0.01. This afternoon, six months in, I had a telephone appointment with the consultant. He said that there had been a slight rise to 0.03. This might be benign prostate cells emitting PSA, or it might be cancer on the prostate bed. Though based on the data, his money was on the former. Not what I wanted to hear (after negative margins were confirmed etc, as most such cases are undetectable after operation) but trying not to worry.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2022 at 18:40

It’s always so difficult with super sensitive PSA testing. If your PSA had been tested where my husbands was then it would have been undetectable as the lowest it went to was 0.03. His latest (tested at GP surgery) was less than 0.025 so still an undetectable result. I guess we will always worry about slight rises but fingers crossed your surgeon is right. You’re still quite a way off 0.1

User
Posted 21 Sep 2022 at 21:25

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

It’s always so difficult with super sensitive PSA testing. If your PSA had been tested where my husbands was then it would have been undetectable as the lowest it went to was 0.03. His latest (tested at GP surgery) was less than 0.025 so still an undetectable result. I guess we will always worry about slight rises but fingers crossed your surgeon is right. You’re still quite a way off 0.1

Such a brilliant response from Elaine.

Hopefully helps ease not only SuperH's concern, but those of us that may share it.

Jamie

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 09:31

Addenbrookes in Cambridge only tests to 0.04 and  the last 2 quarterly PSA tests post my surgery last December have come out at less than 0.04. That at Addenbrookes is deemed to be undetectable.  I asked why they did not test lower and was told that because the body gives out, even without a prostate, a small amount of PSA they decided that there was no point in testing any lower. My next quarterly PSA test is on Monday so it will be interesting to see what that reading is.

Ivan