I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Operation Update

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 08:22

Thanks to those who replied to my first foray into conversation. I have added more information and news to my profile. Had a radical robotic assisted keyhole prostatectomy last Friday and now home recovering before catheter removal next Monday. Tempted to catalogue the incidents and events but will refrain. Next hurdle is a shower and hair wash , any tips on how to manage the bag and catheter. Finding a comfortable sleeping position remains a challenge. 

Now have a date for my hip replacement, November 15th which both surgeons think should be OK but I am nervous about how fit I will be and able to cope . Dilemma is get all done or delay? 

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 10:06

My RALP was last Friday. I am struggling to sleep as well, so would think it's common. I have found I can sleep on my side if I adjust the catheter a bit, the first section from the end of my penis to the leg strap.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 11:38

Teebreak

Showering

The following assumes you have got a spare thigh strap. You can swap a bag strap for the thigh strap while you shower to keep the thigh strap dry. Use non scented soap to wash around the penis.

I drain the leg bag remove all straps except the thigh strap, shower, dry and then put a dry strap on the other leg and transfer the catheter to the dry strap. Put the wet strap to dry for the next shower. If you have a statlock , drain the bag make sure the statlock is supporting the catheter, remove the leg straps, shower, dry and then refit the straps. The statlock will last at least seven days and should be changed as recommended, normally 5-7 days. Uri sleeves are also good for supporting the leg bag in conjunction with a bag strap. At night attach the night bag to the drain spout of the leg bag, I use a thigh strap around my ankle to secure the night bag tube.

Ugo adhesive devices don't stick as good as statlocks.

Instilagel is available for a pharmacist, it is a antiseptic anesthetic and lubrication gel , ideal if the eye of the penis gets sore. 

Take it easy but keep mobile.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 22 Sep 2022 at 11:39  | Reason: Spelling

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 10:06

My RALP was last Friday. I am struggling to sleep as well, so would think it's common. I have found I can sleep on my side if I adjust the catheter a bit, the first section from the end of my penis to the leg strap.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 11:38

Teebreak

Showering

The following assumes you have got a spare thigh strap. You can swap a bag strap for the thigh strap while you shower to keep the thigh strap dry. Use non scented soap to wash around the penis.

I drain the leg bag remove all straps except the thigh strap, shower, dry and then put a dry strap on the other leg and transfer the catheter to the dry strap. Put the wet strap to dry for the next shower. If you have a statlock , drain the bag make sure the statlock is supporting the catheter, remove the leg straps, shower, dry and then refit the straps. The statlock will last at least seven days and should be changed as recommended, normally 5-7 days. Uri sleeves are also good for supporting the leg bag in conjunction with a bag strap. At night attach the night bag to the drain spout of the leg bag, I use a thigh strap around my ankle to secure the night bag tube.

Ugo adhesive devices don't stick as good as statlocks.

Instilagel is available for a pharmacist, it is a antiseptic anesthetic and lubrication gel , ideal if the eye of the penis gets sore. 

Take it easy but keep mobile.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 22 Sep 2022 at 11:39  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 20:10
Thanks Chris, Will give it a go
User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 14:22

It's a few years ago but I'm sure I had a shower with the bag etc hanging in place and then dabbed it all dry.  I'd be most concerned about where the catheter goes into the body.  I seem to recall having a shower freed some blood that had dried in there.

I also had cat washes and didn't shower daily or anything like daily.

As for sleeping, with the night pipe at my ankle I made sure my leg was near where the night bag was and tried to sleep on my back although I could turn right or left but obviously not right round.

In general if your surgeon thinks you can have a hip replacement in November I'd go for it.    If things don't go well you can cancel.  The biggest worry could be the largest stomach wound although you could ask what position you'll be in and practise it but don't overdo it.  I carried/wheeled a 23kg case on a month long holiday 8 weeks after my op.

All the best, Peter