Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radium 233 Issues

User
Posted 22 Sep 2022 at 11:48

Hi,

Have just had my 4 cycle of up to 6 of the above injections.

My PSA has gradually climbed to 50  during treatment and was told this week they normally now pull the plug at 100. They also give you a scan at the end of the course to check sucess.

As I was having severe right thigh bone and upper leg pain for the last week they gave me a X ray.It showed no bone fractures but lesions around joint at top of my leg.The doctor did not think the R233 would address this.Did not think to ask whether it was because the X ray showed this was case or just his personal opinion!

Apart from strong pain killers wondered whether a one off blast or small number of radiotherapy would help?The doctor I am currently involved with is Nuclear medicine so this may not be in his field!

Any inputs appreciated.

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 00:07
Radium 223 doesn't really treat the cancer so much, it is just as much about reducing the symptoms of bone mets and improving quality of life. For some men, bone pain gets worse while on R223 which makes it a bit pointless (a treatment to improve QoL but makes it worse is not achieving anything) so it may be that the doctor was saying R223 doesn't seem to be addressing your bone pain or he was saying that you have developed new tumours during the R223 treatment which indicates that it isn't working as well as they might have hoped.

If there is a risk of fracture or the pain from the new bone mets is bad, a shot of RT may help stabilise the situation, assuming you haven't already had RT to the hip joint.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 23 Sep 2022 at 09:20

Lyn,

Many thanks.

Norm