I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Time to say good bye ..and thank you!

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 00:48

I cant'f find the words to truly describe the heartbreak at my husband reaching this point, age 56 and only 23 months from diagnosis. In Oct 2020 we were told to expect 5 years which we really thought we would get. 

Every treatment has been tried, and all failed with the exception of Abiraterone (Zytiga) which lasted approx 11 months.  A last throw of the dice was trialled 2 weeks ago (Enzalutamide) but within days we were told of significant spread to organs. 

We were told by a Professor of Urology last week that even though my husbands tumour was a grade 5 (Gleason 9), that it would have taken up to 4 to 8 years for symptoms to have emerged. On that basis they are certain that my husband would have had prostate cancer when he went for an exam in 2018 (and was refused)! then age 52. 

I notice there has been some discussion regarding earlier screening on the forum and the prevalence of younger men being diagnosed with PC where no obvious symptoms are experienced. We are strong believers that if a man is proactive like my husband, and visits a GP requesting a prostate exam that this should be carried out regardless if they have no symptoms.  Otherwise, many, many more men will continue to suffer and have their lives cut very short. 

I can only thank the forum for giving us the platform to learn as much as we can about the PC, but more importantly to receive support from fellow men and their families. It certainly gave us some hope along the way.

Good luck to you all, and keep spreading the awareness of PC.

Best wishes

Highland Lass

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 00:48

I cant'f find the words to truly describe the heartbreak at my husband reaching this point, age 56 and only 23 months from diagnosis. In Oct 2020 we were told to expect 5 years which we really thought we would get. 

Every treatment has been tried, and all failed with the exception of Abiraterone (Zytiga) which lasted approx 11 months.  A last throw of the dice was trialled 2 weeks ago (Enzalutamide) but within days we were told of significant spread to organs. 

We were told by a Professor of Urology last week that even though my husbands tumour was a grade 5 (Gleason 9), that it would have taken up to 4 to 8 years for symptoms to have emerged. On that basis they are certain that my husband would have had prostate cancer when he went for an exam in 2018 (and was refused)! then age 52. 

I notice there has been some discussion regarding earlier screening on the forum and the prevalence of younger men being diagnosed with PC where no obvious symptoms are experienced. We are strong believers that if a man is proactive like my husband, and visits a GP requesting a prostate exam that this should be carried out regardless if they have no symptoms.  Otherwise, many, many more men will continue to suffer and have their lives cut very short. 

I can only thank the forum for giving us the platform to learn as much as we can about the PC, but more importantly to receive support from fellow men and their families. It certainly gave us some hope along the way.

Good luck to you all, and keep spreading the awareness of PC.

Best wishes

Highland Lass

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 08:12
So sorry, it won't help you guys but make sure that GP gets an educational letter.
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 17:27

So sorry to read about your journey with Prostate Cancer.

I have been on Enzalutamide for about 15 months now to treat Advanced Prostate Cancer and my PSA has been steady at <0.1 but who knows how long this will last before I have to start more rigorous treatment regimes?

It would certainly appear that your husbands cancer was diagnosed too late unfortunately!

My thoughts and prayers are with you both at this sad time

Much love Tom  

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 07:38

So sorry it has got to this point so fast. 

Dave

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 08:26

So sorry to hear this news that we all fear doctors need to listen to their patients it's so sad. Gaz 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 11:47

So sorry to hear your news, I think the message has to get to all doctors to get the age reduced for psa checks in the future. Our thoughts are with you at this time.

love John & Pat.

Edited by member 26 Sep 2022 at 12:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 12:43

Highland lass, sorry to hear your news, sending love and hugs.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 14:06

So sorry to hear such sad news Highland Lass.  We send our love and best wishes.

Ange & Keith x

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 14:26

So sorry to hear this highland lass xx

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 14:31
We all feel for you Highland lass. So very sorry.
Barry
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 14:41

My thoughts are with you both xx

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 15:49

Our thoughts are with you both. So sorry to hear this news xx

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 18:10
Very awful news and so sorry for you both. Seems a very short straw was given to you in treating this treacherous disease. My thoughts and strength are with you. Hard as it is , try and enjoy every second together xxx
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 18:38
Thoughts with you and your family , cherish every second you still have .
Best wishes
Debby xx
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 18:44

Sending massive love Highland Lass, as massive as I can muster. Stay as highlandish as you can.

Jamie.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 18:52

So sorry to read this. Life can be so unfair. Stay strong for each other. 

Peter

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 21:54

Sending you love and strength to get through this , 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 22:07

So sorry to read this update.  Sending best wishes and you are both in my thoughts. 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 22:19

What can I say that's not already been said,I've done nothing but think about you all day,devastated for you.I hope the final months and hopefully years are filled with good memories and still some good laughs,please both be strong.

All my best wishes Phil 

User
Posted 28 Sep 2022 at 07:26

My heart goes out to you Highland Lass.  So so sorry to hear your last bash at treatment has failed,

Earlier detection must start to happen, and doctors should listen to their patients and if they want a psa done then they must give it, regardless of age, or symptons.  This horrible disease cannot continue to take men, when simple tests can prevent this from happening.  I am so upset for you.  I am so angry too.  

As you know hubby diagnosed November 21.  Stage 4, bone mets, lymph nodes.  He had a blood test every year to make sure he was tip top and tickerty boo.  They never did a psa test, and we did not know anything about it at the time.  Only discovered when lump appeared on his back, found during a golf massage.

My heartfelt thoughts go out to you.  xx

User
Posted 03 Oct 2022 at 18:27

In the same boat with treatment as it never lasts. Going to an appointment about chemo soon which I'm not looking forward to the potential side effects and bald head! I was diagnosed with stage 4 and bone mets in Jan 2020 but was nevertodhow long I had. At the moment I'll be lucky to hit 5 years.

Yup this forum is good as people come back with positive responses. Good luck with your hubby's treatment and hope you get something that works. Lutetium-177 has been mentioned on here and looks promising but we have to wait until NICE approves it. Some private places are delivering it already.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2022 at 13:50
Sorry to hear this Highland Lass.

Thoughts and Prayers are with you and your family.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 07:38

So sorry it has got to this point so fast. 

Dave

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 08:12
So sorry, it won't help you guys but make sure that GP gets an educational letter.
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 08:26

So sorry to hear this news that we all fear doctors need to listen to their patients it's so sad. Gaz 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 11:47

So sorry to hear your news, I think the message has to get to all doctors to get the age reduced for psa checks in the future. Our thoughts are with you at this time.

love John & Pat.

Edited by member 26 Sep 2022 at 12:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 12:43

Highland lass, sorry to hear your news, sending love and hugs.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 14:06

So sorry to hear such sad news Highland Lass.  We send our love and best wishes.

Ange & Keith x

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 14:26

So sorry to hear this highland lass xx

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 14:31
We all feel for you Highland lass. So very sorry.
Barry
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 14:41

My thoughts are with you both xx

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 15:49

Our thoughts are with you both. So sorry to hear this news xx

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 17:27

So sorry to read about your journey with Prostate Cancer.

I have been on Enzalutamide for about 15 months now to treat Advanced Prostate Cancer and my PSA has been steady at <0.1 but who knows how long this will last before I have to start more rigorous treatment regimes?

It would certainly appear that your husbands cancer was diagnosed too late unfortunately!

My thoughts and prayers are with you both at this sad time

Much love Tom  

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 18:03
So sorry about your terrible news
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 18:10
Very awful news and so sorry for you both. Seems a very short straw was given to you in treating this treacherous disease. My thoughts and strength are with you. Hard as it is , try and enjoy every second together xxx
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 18:38
Thoughts with you and your family , cherish every second you still have .
Best wishes
Debby xx
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 18:44

Sending massive love Highland Lass, as massive as I can muster. Stay as highlandish as you can.

Jamie.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 18:52

So sorry to read this. Life can be so unfair. Stay strong for each other. 

Peter

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 21:54

Sending you love and strength to get through this , 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 22:07

So sorry to read this update.  Sending best wishes and you are both in my thoughts. 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 22:19

What can I say that's not already been said,I've done nothing but think about you all day,devastated for you.I hope the final months and hopefully years are filled with good memories and still some good laughs,please both be strong.

All my best wishes Phil 

User
Posted 28 Sep 2022 at 07:26

My heart goes out to you Highland Lass.  So so sorry to hear your last bash at treatment has failed,

Earlier detection must start to happen, and doctors should listen to their patients and if they want a psa done then they must give it, regardless of age, or symptons.  This horrible disease cannot continue to take men, when simple tests can prevent this from happening.  I am so upset for you.  I am so angry too.  

As you know hubby diagnosed November 21.  Stage 4, bone mets, lymph nodes.  He had a blood test every year to make sure he was tip top and tickerty boo.  They never did a psa test, and we did not know anything about it at the time.  Only discovered when lump appeared on his back, found during a golf massage.

My heartfelt thoughts go out to you.  xx

User
Posted 03 Oct 2022 at 18:27

In the same boat with treatment as it never lasts. Going to an appointment about chemo soon which I'm not looking forward to the potential side effects and bald head! I was diagnosed with stage 4 and bone mets in Jan 2020 but was nevertodhow long I had. At the moment I'll be lucky to hit 5 years.

Yup this forum is good as people come back with positive responses. Good luck with your hubby's treatment and hope you get something that works. Lutetium-177 has been mentioned on here and looks promising but we have to wait until NICE approves it. Some private places are delivering it already.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2022 at 13:50
Sorry to hear this Highland Lass.

Thoughts and Prayers are with you and your family.