I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Questions about Abiraterone...

User
Posted 28 Sep 2022 at 00:22

So, previously my oncologist was happy for me to start on Enzalutamide rather than chemo.

Then he suggested a clinical trial that might suit me (alongside the enza), which I'm totally up for.  The trial drug is a relative unknown, obviously, but I was happy with the prospect of taking enzalutamide as part of the deal.

Now he's going to put me on Abiraterone (Zytiga) instead on the enzalutamide, which I'm not so keen on, mainly becuase it sems to be given alongside Prednisolone (steroid), which I'm also not keen on becuase of the getting fat business attached to steroids.

My question, therefore is: 

Can I get your feedback on your experiences of taking Abiraterone and Prednisolone please?

Cheers

Icky

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 11:05
My treatment was RT & Zoladex for 3 yrs, (starting Dec 2015)as part of trial I had enzalutimide, abiraterone & prednisolone, included for 2 of those years.

I cannot comment directly about abiraterone/prednisolone. I had most of the expected side effects of this treatment, caused obviously by combination of all of them.

One side effect that was directed at prednisolone was very sore Achilles tendons. They were extremely sore at times to a point where if I even thought about touching them they hurt. I continued trying to at least walk for hour each day, on one occasion I was about a mile from home when my achilles' became nearly unbearably painful, it took over an hour to walk that mile and I felt quite sorry for myself (obviously I was too 'manly' to phone someone to pick me up).

Apparently the prednisolone can shorten/thicken the Achilles tendons temporarily, I saw a physio a couple of times who advised to stretch the tendons etc, which was logical. Once I'd learned it was an 'expected' side effect I felt happier anyway, I just wasn't aware.

May have been combination of enzalutide/abiraterone but my BP increased a fair bit and I was prescribed couple of BP tablets, which I still take.I

Peter