I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pelvic Floor Exercises after TWOC

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 17:17

Another question from me (I posted this in another thread but I suspect I’ll get quicker answers in this new one)

I’ve been told to do 5 x 1-minute bouts of quick PFEs per day. But every time I contract the muscles, pee comes out. Is this the same for every one and if so, do you do them standing over the loo or just with a pad in and let that catch the urine?

The peeing kind of discourages me from doing them which I know is a mistake.

Thoughts and experience much appreciated, as always.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 19:36

I got the same issue at first (especially on the short squeezes) but it didn't last long. If your not already aware of it, there is a Squeezy app you can download load to your phone. I find it quite helpful as a reminder and a timer for the PFE.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 20:41

Happened to me too in the early days, Nick. I did my PFEs standing over the loo. Frankly, I found doing them whilst wearing a pad was confusing because of the support given by the pad. For me, it was much better to be free and feel the muscle working.

Peter

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 20:59

Nick , long time since I urinated normally. When exercising the pelvic floor muscles I often thought of them as having three stages. The first part of the contraction is the one that lifted the penis and also helped squirt that last bit of urine out. I had terminal dribbling before being diagnosed and surgery so I was always doing that squirt. You have to get past the first stage to get to the second stage, you will soon get used to going past the first stage without squirting urine out. 

When you get back to having intercourse you may find you also squirt urine, it always pays to empty the bladder before intercourse.

It is early days, keep at, but don't overwork the muscles,they can get tired.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 02 Oct 2022 at 12:03

Yes - normal

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Oct 2022 at 13:15

Going to follow your post, had my RALP last Tuesday and due my TWOC on 12th October all going well so far 🤞

User
Posted 02 Oct 2022 at 17:30
"My surgeon and CNS say to do one minute of quick PFEs, five times a day. But lots of others saying three times and to vary the exercises. Who’s right?"

Everyone - a lot of it is personal preference

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 19:36

I got the same issue at first (especially on the short squeezes) but it didn't last long. If your not already aware of it, there is a Squeezy app you can download load to your phone. I find it quite helpful as a reminder and a timer for the PFE.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 20:20

Thanks Chris, I have the app. Just need to use it now!

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 20:41

Happened to me too in the early days, Nick. I did my PFEs standing over the loo. Frankly, I found doing them whilst wearing a pad was confusing because of the support given by the pad. For me, it was much better to be free and feel the muscle working.

Peter

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 20:59

Nick , long time since I urinated normally. When exercising the pelvic floor muscles I often thought of them as having three stages. The first part of the contraction is the one that lifted the penis and also helped squirt that last bit of urine out. I had terminal dribbling before being diagnosed and surgery so I was always doing that squirt. You have to get past the first stage to get to the second stage, you will soon get used to going past the first stage without squirting urine out. 

When you get back to having intercourse you may find you also squirt urine, it always pays to empty the bladder before intercourse.

It is early days, keep at, but don't overwork the muscles,they can get tired.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 21:12

Peter, thanks. That’s reassuring, sounds like a plan I could stick to.

Nick

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 21:15

Thanks Chris, I will see how it goes tonight and tomorrow. Then try the squeezing. It’s only the first day so early as you say.

Cheers

Nick

User
Posted 02 Oct 2022 at 11:58
Keeping an eye on this thread!

Went for TWOC on Friday, ten days after RALP, and everything seemed to go OK so was sent home after a couple of hours.

I started using the Squeezy app in earnest on Saturday, with 3 long/short sessions a day. Whether it’s in my mind or not, I’m seeing a slight improvement, although the muscles ache a bit. I know this will get easier, though.

My only real issue is when getting up out of a chair. I can feel that I’m about to dribble, so have started to pause for a few seconds to try to regain some control before standing upright. Is this common?

User
Posted 02 Oct 2022 at 12:03

Yes - normal

User
Posted 02 Oct 2022 at 12:18

Sine my TWOC last Thursday I’ve had a couple of soakings when out and about. Quite distressing but a good lesson in being prepared with pads, pants, trousers and wipes. 

My surgeon and CNS say to do one minute of quick PFEs, five times a day. But lots of others saying three times and to vary the exercises. Who’s right?

and lastly, I was up four times last night for a pee. Do I need to stop this? I’ve got in the habit of going to the loo more often to prevent filling my pads so quickly. Is that a mistake? Am I just stopping my bladder from getting back to normal? 

Thanks all

User
Posted 02 Oct 2022 at 12:49

Recovering your continence does not seem linear. I have made slow improvements since last Monday but today I am definitely leaking more. Hoping for better things tomorrow.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2022 at 13:15

Going to follow your post, had my RALP last Tuesday and due my TWOC on 12th October all going well so far 🤞

User
Posted 02 Oct 2022 at 17:30
"My surgeon and CNS say to do one minute of quick PFEs, five times a day. But lots of others saying three times and to vary the exercises. Who’s right?"

Everyone - a lot of it is personal preference