I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The not very secret Prostate Cancer diary of Flygidz aged 59 and half Part 2

User
Posted 30 Sep 2022 at 15:38

And just like that...it's been a month since the op... well actually more like five weeks...In truth it's seemed rather longer, I suppose I've always been by nature a beat the clock type (or impatient b****** as Mrs Flygidz has it) but I really thought I'd be a lot better my now.

Wound wise there is still a little discomfort but at least the stitches have started to dissolve and come out one thing I find a bit weird is the incisions seem to be healing at different rates. Not wildly different rates just enough to be noticeable.. still getting a bit of internal pain but that is usually associated with being tired.

Now then that's a thing a word about being tired it seems to happen quicker that before - In all honesty that maybe an illusion brought on by pain I mentioned earlier but that just how it seems.

Moving on to wee - well it's a lot better than it was the early regime called for two sometimes three level 2s during the day and a pair of man nappies at night. At the moment it seems to be a Level 2 during the day and another at night - the night one is more for security more often than not on inspection in the morning there's no squirt evidence. I think the most important lesson I've learned here is that improvement is not linear you have a few days of goo performance then you get a very squirty day maybe in reverting to a three pad day but the trend remains an improving one. Before I leave the whole wee topic - here's a top tip indulge in some manscaping - it seems to to keep things rather fresher and more comfortable.

One of the follow ups was being put on the blue bombers - I confess I haven't gotten around to buying a pump yet its on my to do list but there's such an array out there it's hard to select one - plus last I looked WH Smith doesn't stock 'Which Dick Pump'.  Nevertheless I did notice a distinct stirring the other morning not much but definite sign of life...

Still got ages till the review histology first post op PSA check - beginning of November for that so there is a sense of the sword of Damocles - cos from what I understand with a T3 you never know...Further complicating matters  is we finally got a date for Mrs Flygidz op mid November so at least should be physically well enough lifting and so forth to properly look after her when she comes out of hospital. But it does rather add another sword to our thread. 

I was concerned by my progress - so I phoned the nurses team at St Dicks answer phone took a number of goes and about week time wise before I got a call back - briefed the nurse on what was what and was encouraged to hear that overall I'm not doing too badly on the curve by one measure, ahead of it by others. I can't help thinking it would have been a really useful thing to have got more of a briefing about how recovery was likely to go - I mean I know everyone's different but just some averages.

I think that's pretty much it for now 

User
Posted 28 Oct 2022 at 04:38

Bout a month on from my last posting and I confess that I'm not thrilled . Generally speaking, as I understand it you are supposed to have the post op follow up around six weeks after. Mine was scheduled for next Thurday which would have been around nine weeks after... cept out of the blue having been in for the PSA test last night I get a email instructing me yo log on to the inaccurately named patients matter web site....where I discover it been postponed by a week.....to a day I can't make away on a work trip....the following week will be a bust too I'll be nursing my wife who'll be just home following her twice postponed brain tumour op which likewise was arbitrarily rescheduled yesterday.  so it best it'll be another week after that...so nearly three months sitting under the sword of Damocles'...T3 see so could go either way.

Overall, my impression is that prior to the op it was full steam ahead....post op I've fallen fallen off a cliff as far as the NHS is concerned... 

User
Posted 28 Oct 2022 at 09:37

In my trust PSA test six weeks post op, meeting eight weeks. Having read a lot of posts on here that seems to be pretty standard.

User
Posted 29 Oct 2022 at 00:41
i like structure,if its six weeks fine 1o weeks also fine but tell me don't leave me hanging...but it's also importantto put this in a perspective...my entire journey has been one where if there is a target to be met then it's all guns blazing if not then...meh