Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone therapy and radiotherapy for localised cancer

User
Posted 30 Sep 2022 at 20:28

Hi

I am new to this. My Dad who is 84 has just been diagnosed.

He is starting hormone therapy in two weeks and has been advised to have radiotherapy in five months.

He is a bit concerned about side effects and would appreciate hearing other people experiences of these treatments.

We would really appreciate any responses.

Thank you

User
Posted 01 Oct 2022 at 01:35

Hello JJ,

Your Dad has been put on a pretty typical treatment path for a man of his age. There are several ways of administering RT but he is most likely to have 20 fractions (sessions) of External Beam Radio Therapy (EBRT). Most men find it is the HT element that contributes most strongly to after effects with the RT introducing others or exacerbating the effects of HT. To some extent the side effects of HT will depend on what HT is taken but in any case some men experience side effects more severely and or widely than others. Typically, with HT, many men will feel premature tiredness, fatigue using their limbs, loss of libido. Some experience hot flushes and fewer still a change in personality. The added RT can affect bowel habits and increase need and frequency to urinate. As might be expected the treatment is better tolerated by younger men who are generally fitter. It would help Dad if he tries to maintain fitness. Most men tolerate the treatment quite well. So depending who responds, experiences may differ.

I recommend that you download or obtain a hard copy of 'The Tool Kit' which provides more information on treatment and side effects.
https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org//our-publications/all-publications/tool-kit?limit=100

Edited by member 01 Oct 2022 at 01:36  | Reason: To highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 01 Oct 2022 at 01:36

I didn't have much problem with these treatments, I was 54 at the time. HT isn't much fun, how long will he be on it? There aren't many years ahead of you at 85, I wouldn't want to be on HT for more than a year at that age.

Dave

User
Posted 01 Oct 2022 at 09:10
I found HT/RT pretty tolerable, although I appreciate that there's a considerable difference between going through it in your mid 50s, as I did, compared to the mid 80s!

User
Posted 01 Oct 2022 at 10:50

Dear Old Barry, Dave 64diag 2, and Cheshire Chris

Thanks so much for your replies for your replies. Very helpful. I will buy the toolkit now.

JJ

User
Posted 01 Oct 2022 at 20:19
Not much to add to Barry's excellent post above. I've been on HT (Zoladex) since Jan 2020. Subcutaneous implants every 12 weeks at my GP surgery. Supposed to come off Jan next year after 3 years treatment. For me personally the biggest effects have been lack of strength, general tiredness, the occasional hot flush, and weight gain. Nothing drastic, all annoying but manageable. In a way knowing the cause of it and that there's an end in sight down the road helps.

I had 20 fractions of EBRT two years ago. The daily visits were a grind but I soon got into the routine and after that it all went very quickly. Some details will vary depending on the policy adopted by the radiology dept so your Dad's experience may differ from mine. In my case I was required to have just the right amount of fluid in my bladder for each session, and an empty rectum. For the bladder, they will advise your Dad of what they expect (some places want a completely empty bladder) and give him instructions for the routine to follow to achieve it - how much water to drink and when, when to go to the toilet before each appt etc. I think empty rectum is pretty much universal. It has to be as small as possible during treatment to avoid damage from the radiation beam. I was given a ton of laxatives and had to administer a micro-enema (a small plastic tube of liquid provided by the hospital) an hour before each session. It's not something anyone would choose as a hobby! That said, once in the routine,,,etc. They do an ultrasound scan before each EBRT session to check everything is in the desired state.

Regarding side effects from the EBRT. I've had some bowel trouble ever since, attributed to radiation damage, but it's gradually getting better. I also had a nasty bout of radiation cystitis last year but got it sorted and haven't had any trouble since. Bowel and bladder are basically the things that are usually effected. Please note that that these were my personal experiences only, that I give as an example. A great many men suffer no side effects whatsoever, and your Dad may well be one of them. In any case any effects he does happen to suffer are very, very unlikely to be life affecting but will most likely be like mine - just a bit annoying now and again! Best wishes to him and don't worry he will be in the hands of true professionals and they will take the best care of him.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2022 at 20:51
Thanks so much for your post. That's really helpful information.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2022 at 17:08

No problem.  Anything else you want to ask just let me know.