I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone Therapy and no radiotherapy

User
Posted 30 Sep 2022 at 22:15

Hi, I want to see if anyone has received the same advice from their Oncologist please.

My husband, Dave, had a meeting with his Oncologist on Tuesday thinking she was going to give him a date for 5 sessions of radiotherapy on his spine which were discovered on a PET scan. He's already had a months hormone tablet and a months injection of Zolodex. At his meeting she said that she wouldn't recommend radiotherapy now and for Dave to just continue with Zolodex hormone therapy for the rest of his life. 

This news surprised us and we are now feeling less confident about his outlook 😔. Dave has the BRCA gene and she said the cancer would most probably come back in many years so there was no need for radiotherapy. 

Please can anyone give us some advice asto how we should feel?

Thank you.

Sandy B

User
Posted 01 Oct 2022 at 00:47
I would be inclined to ask the Oncologist to explain why she doesn't recommend RT at this point in time. One possibility, which I hope is not the case, is if the scans showed fairly widespread mets and the RT would be saved to deal with painful areas in due course or it could be that she wanted to see whether the HT resulted in shrinking the tumours and then consider RT.

If you enter the diagnosis, treatment and other salient summarised information under Bio/Profile, it will enable members to more readily check and make more meaningful replies, as at present relevant bits of information are spread over threads which means extra searching and that some of the threads will tend to become lost over time.

Barry
User
Posted 01 Oct 2022 at 07:49

Thanks Barry, I will do that. We know that the PET scan showed only two small areas in Dave's spine and nowhere else. 

Hopefully the hormone therapy will reduce the spine mets and get his psa back to 0.00. It was only 3.3 when he had his last blood tests.

Sandy