Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate cancer tests

User
Posted 06 Oct 2022 at 09:54

Hi my name is gabby 2.

Recently i had a psa test come back 6.2 was fasttracked to urology department underwent tests no thing out of the ordinary had another psa test came back 6.8 was sent for mri  came back something was found needed a biopsy

they took 28 samples now awaiting results, is this usual. thanks for taking the time to read this.

User
Posted 06 Oct 2022 at 10:38

Yes very usual and not particularly worrying. At 70 it would be surprising if you had no signs of cancer. PSA of 6-7 could be caused by many things, cancer being one of them, similarly MRI can show suspicious areas which turnout to be benign. Biopsy is the best way to see what is really going on.

The results of the biopsy will determine the next course of action, hopefully it will be clear or show some abnormal cells with a recommendation to keep an eye on them (active surveillance) rather than treatment.

Of course the results could come back showing a more aggressive cancer which will need treatment, but don't start worrying about that yet. Whatever you have it is almost certainly caught in the earliest stage.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Oct 2022 at 11:35
Looking at cells under a microscope is the only way to determine whether or not you have prostate cancer (which, at 70, you probably do, of course) and, if so, how aggressive it is and whether or not any treatment is required. It's all entirely normal.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 07 Oct 2022 at 14:57
thanks dave and chris i think your right just wait for the results and take it from there.

gabby