I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MRI pi-rads/likert 4, waiting on biopsy results

User
Posted 06 Oct 2022 at 20:35

During a routine health check my husband's PSA levels were 4.7 and his prostate was noted to be enlarged (he is 54). He had an MRI which shows the prostate is twice the size it should be and has 2 growths, which in the words of the consultant "are worth checking out". He had a PSA test yesterday which was 3.2, followed by a biopsy. He casually mentioned to me that the radiologist said it was the lower end of 4 on the scale, he didn't know what that meant and didn't ask. I'm presuming he meant the likert scale, which mean it's likely cancer? He's very laid back but I'm the googler and like to know all the possible outcomes before hand. I've tried to gently tell him what the scale means but he said he d rather wait until the biopsy results are in before worrying. 

I on the other hand am totally panicked. I know the answer to my question is that we won't know exactly what we're dealing with, until all the results are in, but I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that things mightn't be as bad as I'm imagining. Until the MRI we thought it was BPH.

Thanks. 

Edited by member 12 Oct 2022 at 12:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Oct 2022 at 01:05

We have had a couple of people on here recently with likert 4 who got the all clear. A large prostate is not linked with cancer. 2 growths are the only thing that could be an issue.

Absolutely no point in worrying at the moment. Even if there is cancer it can probably be ignored or treated.

Dave

User
Posted 07 Oct 2022 at 08:47

Thanks for your reply. 

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 12:06

Hi, my Dad is in a similar position with an MRI showing abnormality and that a biopsy is recommended. Still waiting on the biopsy date.

Any news on your husbands biopsy

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 12:25

No nothing yet, it's been a week today so not expecting results for a while yet. My anxiety levels are through the roof, despite me normally being very level headed. I've accepted it's probably cancer, logically I know it'll probably be able to be treated, but now I'm stressing about the post treatment side effects 🙄. I guess all the googling is my way of coping, reading good news stories etc, yesterday I read an article on all the well known people who've had it and recovered, then I read a not so great story and the anxiety goes up again. My husband is much calmer, he's just waiting to see what he's told. I like to be prepared for the worst though.

While I know PSA levels are not alone an indicator, I'm hoping the fact that it's 3.2 is a good indicator that it hasn't spread and will be treatable. His Dad had it in his early 60s and was successfully treated, but he's now going through Colon cancer, has just had surgery, so my DH has not told him yet about this scare, so hasn't asked him yet about the particulars of his diagnosis, PSA levels etc.

Good luck for your Dad, hopefully he won't have to wait too long for the biopsy 

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 12:36

Hi, thanks for your speedy reply.

The waiting is the worst, I used to think that with cancer the waiting times should be shorter and that no news is good news but this has obviously changed. It was July when the doc refereed him to urology and 5 weeks in between MRI and biopsy which I think is a long time if they suspect cancer. 

Also he didn't get his results from the MRI just a letter to say he is recommended to have a biopsy based on the MRI. He then called the urology department and the nurse said it doesn't have to be cancer it could still be BPH or prostatis, not sure this is likely given the threads through

User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 10:25
Hi, I'm wondering whether you have had the results back yet as my Dad is in a similar situation. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome
User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 10:35

No, still waiting two weeks later. Think I've got over the initial shock I got after reading pi rads 4 meant "probably cancer". DH still adopting the wait and see before he's does any research, I on the other hand haven't stopped 🙂.  I'm hoping now that if there is indeed cancer it's early stages, his PSA was 3.2 before the biopsy so hopefully an indicator it hasn't spread.  But I know nothing is ever clear cut.

Edited by member 19 Oct 2022 at 10:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 10:38
That's so bad it really is, hopefully no news is good news
User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 10:41
Was told it's taking up to 3/4 weeks at the moment
User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 10:43
It is meant to be 62days from the doctor referral to treatment if necessary. Think they need to change these dates
User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 16:50

Well got some good news today, all biopsies clear. The consultant rang with results today, I really thought it was going to be bad news with him ringing on a Sunday afternoon but thankfully was all clear. Will check the PSA again in 6 months. Such a relief. Thanks to everyone here for the advice, I now feel a lot better equipped to deal with any issues that might arise in the future.