Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Low PSA, Aggressive Prostate Cancer

User
Posted 09 Oct 2022 at 09:05

Hi to all,

I was diagnosed with PC in November 2018, Gleason 7, (4+3), T3B, and PSA 8.14ng/ml. I have had two treatments of External Beam Radiotherapy to the prostate bed and lower pelvic area. Bicalutamide held my prostate level at 0.56mg/ml for six months and then my PSA started to rise again. I was then treated with Decapeptyl injections. This had no effect and my PSA level continued to rise to 4.37ng/ml as of August 2022. I had my second PSMA scan on 4/10/22 that has shown cancerous growths in the left- and right-hand ribs, Adrenal Gland area, and Upper and Lower Spine. I will be starting an Abiraterone clinic at the beginning of November 2022. My consultant has told me that my cancer is very aggressive and he would see this type of PC in one in a hundred men. He also stated that unless something new comes along that cancer would eventually beat me, although I was not going to die anytime soon.  Of course, there is still the chemotherapy option. This recent report has been difficult for me to take but I remain positive. Does anyone know how long the treatment of Abiraterone may work? I have no symptoms of pain at the moment as the cancer is still at a microscopic stage. It is now in the bones so does it spread faster now? I still continue to work full-time and will continue to receive the Decapeptyl injections alongside the Abiraterone. Thanks, Jeremy

User
Posted 10 Oct 2022 at 09:41
Hi Jeremy

My husband had aggressive PC. Abiraterone worked really well for 11 months. It's very individual, some get longer some not. We were told however that it should work for at least 1 year and I guess that's what my husband got. We are glad he stopped working to spend as much time together as possible.

Thinking of you, all the best.

Sharon

User
Posted 13 Oct 2022 at 22:41

Hi, 

Arbiterone lasted only a few months for me and it was replaced by olaparib that lasted a year and a half. I agree with Highland Lass that is individual regarding the length of time. There was someone on here that posted he had 5 years of it and still on it so like you say bit of a waiting game. My next step is the dreaded chemo come back hair all is forgiven! Anyway I hope your treatment goes well and love the optimism of taking it a day at a time, I'm always thinking way ahead of what I should be doing

Ian

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Oct 2022 at 09:41
Hi Jeremy

My husband had aggressive PC. Abiraterone worked really well for 11 months. It's very individual, some get longer some not. We were told however that it should work for at least 1 year and I guess that's what my husband got. We are glad he stopped working to spend as much time together as possible.

Thinking of you, all the best.

Sharon

User
Posted 10 Oct 2022 at 10:29

Many thanks for this Sharon. I am sorry it did not work longer for your husband. 

It will be a waiting game for me and I will have to take one day at a time,

Jeremy

User
Posted 13 Oct 2022 at 22:41

Hi, 

Arbiterone lasted only a few months for me and it was replaced by olaparib that lasted a year and a half. I agree with Highland Lass that is individual regarding the length of time. There was someone on here that posted he had 5 years of it and still on it so like you say bit of a waiting game. My next step is the dreaded chemo come back hair all is forgiven! Anyway I hope your treatment goes well and love the optimism of taking it a day at a time, I'm always thinking way ahead of what I should be doing

Ian