Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 3 concerned with symptoms

User
Posted 11 Oct 2022 at 20:40

Hi Everyone,

I am 36 years old currently experiencing symptoms for a couple of months. Its worth saying I experienced these same issues around 4 years ago, but they seemed to resolve after a month or so. Had PSA at that time which was 0.82.

More recently;

- Feeling like bladder not fully emptied after peeing.

- Sometimes/often weak flow

- Post void dripping

- Achiness in lower abdomen/rectum

Have had a few GP consultations, they initially thought bladder problem that would resolve on its own. Had full blood count which was normal but included PSA which is 3 (I think fairly high for my age and also big jump from four years ago?). GP stated unremarkable and suggested another test in 6 months. Having a bladder post void CT scan tomorrow.

Obviously I'm worried/anxious that its something more serious with my prostate (am a bit of a hypochondriac/health anxious person anyway). Have read to the moon and back online about PC, prostatitis, CPPS etc. No family history and I am pretty fit and healthy.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are? Not really sure I'll have any followup after tomorrows appointment if all normal. Should I ask GP to refer me to urologist or do a DRE/further investigation?

Also wanted to say inspirational reading the posts on this forum. Really courageous people here.

Thank you

User
Posted 11 Oct 2022 at 22:58
Sounds like a persistent urinary tract infection or prostatitis to me - they can sometimes be almost impossible to detect and resistant to many antibiotics. UTI is more likely in a bladder that isn't being emptied properly. A UTI or prostatitis can also cause raised PSA.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 10:58

Hi, I had similar symptoms saw GP who performed DRE felt something didn't like my PSA only 2.5 referred to urology. Long story short diagnosed T2cN0M0. Now awaiting RALP. The urology consultant was complimentary about GP as this could have easily been dismissed due to normal PSA. He said likely a non PSA secreting tumour. 

Must add I am older than you (52).

I think you should get DRE. I'm so pleased my GP did one.

Wish you all the best. Better to be safe than sorry. If its nothing then great.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Oct 2022 at 22:58
Sounds like a persistent urinary tract infection or prostatitis to me - they can sometimes be almost impossible to detect and resistant to many antibiotics. UTI is more likely in a bladder that isn't being emptied properly. A UTI or prostatitis can also cause raised PSA.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 10:58

Hi, I had similar symptoms saw GP who performed DRE felt something didn't like my PSA only 2.5 referred to urology. Long story short diagnosed T2cN0M0. Now awaiting RALP. The urology consultant was complimentary about GP as this could have easily been dismissed due to normal PSA. He said likely a non PSA secreting tumour. 

Must add I am older than you (52).

I think you should get DRE. I'm so pleased my GP did one.

Wish you all the best. Better to be safe than sorry. If its nothing then great.

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 18:58

Thanks for the advice. Ultrasound today showed no issue with bladder or kidneys, said my prostate was on the higher end of size for my age. Will push GP tomorrow for a DRE.