Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Ideas for sore mouth etc on chemo?

User
Posted 11 Oct 2022 at 23:27

Hi all, 

My father is mid cycle no 8 of 10 of Docetaxel for advanced PCa. He is a stoic, but even he is getting fed up now. Every cycle he has a really sore mouth (plus a plethora of other things) and this cycle it is stinging a lot. His chemo dose has been reduced a couple of times, once as he got neutropaenic and last cycle due to reduced sensation in his fingers and toes.

He has been treating it with various mouthwashes - salt water, Neem and Difflam, all of which help a bit at different points. The stinging is new this cycle, and his sense of taste has been fairly dire for several weeks. Pretty dispiriting for a man who enjoys food when eating becomes a slow, painful chore.

I've read that not much can be done but does anyone have any ideas? He's also got horrid nails that are lifting off (he's had to cut them virtually back to the quick) and numb but highly sensitised fingers and toes. Please give me your experiences and also tell me that it all goes away and he'll get back to normal once the chemo finishes! I know he may not but it's worth a try to see how well you can lie 🤥!

And because someone will ask, his PSA was about 215 at diagnosis last November, dropped a bit for a  month with Leuprorelin then rocketed to about 1200. Enzalutamide didn't agree with him so chemo started in May and bringing it down well - before last cycle it was about 123.

Thank you. x

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 00:16
Probably too late now but the best mouth protection is to suck frozen cubes of fresh pineapple during the infusions - this helps to prevent the mouth ulcers and also seems to reduce the likelihood of getting the horrible metallic taste. People with heart problems must seek advice before eating lots of pineapple though. If frozen pineapple isn't possible, sucking ice cubes is an alternative. I suspect though that 8 sessions in, the damage is done.

Nail damage is really hard to avoid. Tea tree oil might help a bit, and try to avoid cleaning products, chemicals, very hot water. If his nails are coming off, keep a very careful eye out for signs of infection, particularly on his toes and don't hang around before getting medical advice if anything looks infected.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 00:19

Hi Alex.  
Hubby had 6 cycles of docetaxel.

He sucked on frozen slices of pineapple whilst Chemo was administered.  He got thrush and a few mouth ulcers.  Every time he ate anything, even a sweetie, he washed his mouth out with either, soluble aspirin, rosin salts or fungizone 10%, the latter being prescribed by Dr.

He had 2 nails lift off his toes. Ankles and wrists strapped up before chemo with bags of ice.  Nails painted throughout chemo with eye care base coat clear varnish.  Soaked nails every couple of days with any anti bacterial stuff I had in the house, watered down in washing up bowl!

No tingling in fingers or toes.

Stay strong.  Ginny

Edited by member 12 Oct 2022 at 00:20  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 00:16
Probably too late now but the best mouth protection is to suck frozen cubes of fresh pineapple during the infusions - this helps to prevent the mouth ulcers and also seems to reduce the likelihood of getting the horrible metallic taste. People with heart problems must seek advice before eating lots of pineapple though. If frozen pineapple isn't possible, sucking ice cubes is an alternative. I suspect though that 8 sessions in, the damage is done.

Nail damage is really hard to avoid. Tea tree oil might help a bit, and try to avoid cleaning products, chemicals, very hot water. If his nails are coming off, keep a very careful eye out for signs of infection, particularly on his toes and don't hang around before getting medical advice if anything looks infected.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 00:19

Hi Alex.  
Hubby had 6 cycles of docetaxel.

He sucked on frozen slices of pineapple whilst Chemo was administered.  He got thrush and a few mouth ulcers.  Every time he ate anything, even a sweetie, he washed his mouth out with either, soluble aspirin, rosin salts or fungizone 10%, the latter being prescribed by Dr.

He had 2 nails lift off his toes. Ankles and wrists strapped up before chemo with bags of ice.  Nails painted throughout chemo with eye care base coat clear varnish.  Soaked nails every couple of days with any anti bacterial stuff I had in the house, watered down in washing up bowl!

No tingling in fingers or toes.

Stay strong.  Ginny

Edited by member 12 Oct 2022 at 00:20  | Reason: Not specified