I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Well that was a surprise

User
Posted 14 Oct 2022 at 21:59

In a matter of weeks I have gone from cancer is something I don’t  even think about as my family has no history to  OMG I am so stressed 

so I know it might seem silly for this forum ……I have had flow issues for some time. But recognising that enlarged prostate is a fact of life I accepted it.

I had no pain, no getting up in the night, well maybe once in early morning, so I did not worry.

Then my wife pushed me and I had the test which was 17.5 

GP had a very painful look see and referred me to Salisbury hospital

another exam and and my world collapsed.

User
Posted 14 Oct 2022 at 23:22

Sorry you find yourself here Tincan.

Have you been diagnosed or still undergoing tests? 

User
Posted 15 Oct 2022 at 10:58

Sorry you're in the club.

Prostate cancer usually has no symptoms until advanced (and symptoms are more like back ache). The symptoms you describe are more likely due to an enlarged prostate which is an unrelated condition. Quite a number of men are picked up with prostate cancer because they go to their doctor and have an enlarged prostate with symptoms, which prompts a PSA test, because most GPs still incorrectly think prostate cancer has symptoms. Those who go to a GP and ask for a PSA test but have no symptoms are more likely to be refused.

User
Posted 15 Oct 2022 at 12:12
At the age of 61, any man has a better than 50:50 chance of having prostate cancer. Don't get too stressed about it; in the majority of cases it's a very treatable condition. All you can do now is wait for the diagnostic process to reach a conclusion, which generally takes a couple of months. Just take things a day at a time, and when all the tests are done you'll know where you stand.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Oct 2022 at 00:37
Elaine asked whether you have been given a PCa diagnosis, which is not normally given without biopsy, except in cases where PSA is very much higher than yours. If you let us know your diagnosis we will have a better idea of where you are.

Barry