I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hernia risk post RALP

User
Posted 17 Oct 2022 at 07:29

Is the increased risk of a hernia post RALP permanent or does it decrease (or disappear) over time?

I have 42 steps up to my front door so literally everything for the house and garden (shopping, furniture, sand, cement, stone, pots, compost - you name it) needs to be carried up. Not to mention I love surfing and running. So I’m hoping someone says that the risk decreases! 

Thanks all

Nick

User
Posted 17 Oct 2022 at 14:46
As I understand it the increased risk of an inguinal hernia following any type of major abdominal surgery is permanent. It's still a relatively small risk, though; I certainly wouldn't let it put you off things that you enjoy doing!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 11:46

I have a stoma, and wear a support belt whenever I am doing anything vaguely energetic. Such as shopping, golfing, moving furniture etc.. I get three per year on the NHS. It would probably be worth talking to your GP about setting up a repeat prescription for hernia support belts if you can.

Edited by member 19 Oct 2022 at 11:47  | Reason: clarification

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Oct 2022 at 14:46
As I understand it the increased risk of an inguinal hernia following any type of major abdominal surgery is permanent. It's still a relatively small risk, though; I certainly wouldn't let it put you off things that you enjoy doing!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 11:46

I have a stoma, and wear a support belt whenever I am doing anything vaguely energetic. Such as shopping, golfing, moving furniture etc.. I get three per year on the NHS. It would probably be worth talking to your GP about setting up a repeat prescription for hernia support belts if you can.

Edited by member 19 Oct 2022 at 11:47  | Reason: clarification

User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 13:44

Thanks Stew, I have my first post op chat with the surgeon on 23 Nov so will bring it up then. I didn’t know you could get them!