I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemo-allergic reaction to alcohol

User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 22:39

My Dad has recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer which has spread to his lymph nodes. He is allergic to alcohol & was due to start chemo three weeks ago but had a severe allergic reaction within five minutes of treatment.

Since then communication about further treatment has been appalling adding stress to an already difficult situation. He is now scheduled to go into hospital again on Monday for chemo-a smaller dose over the whole day, with medication to take the chemo this time. As you can imagine we’re all worried about him!

Are there no alternative treatments to chemo?

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 07:29

Both of the chemotherapy drugs used for prostate cancer contain ethanol, which is presumably what your dad is allergic to. Allergic reactions are usually much reduced by the lower dose given slowly. You could ask why he can't have enzalutimide or apalutimide instead - both are tablets so no ethanol and both are now approved by NICE for use in chemo naive men in certain circumstances

Edited by member 20 Oct 2022 at 07:33  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 07:35

Hi Lyn thank you so much for your reply-I had read about a trial using tablets, but wasn’t sure if this was available to all now. 
I hope your husband is doing well!

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 08:46

Not a trial - abiraterone and enzalutimide have been approved for many years and apalutimide was approved at the start of the pandemic. It's just that many oncos prefer to try chemo first.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 09:18

Thanks Lyn-this is really useful & I will let my Dad know as I’m worried that they’re playing a dangerous game of Russian Roulette with his life. If he’s allergic to ethanol it doesn’t matter if it’s a large amount or a smaller dose. 

I hope you & your family are doing well through your husband’s diagnosis & treatment. Best wishes x

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 14:35

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

If he’s allergic to ethanol it doesn’t matter if it’s a large amount or a smaller dose. 

Presumably it matters in the sense that a smaller dose will result in a milder allergic reaction? If the reaction is milder it may not prevent the administration of the chemo. 

The problem is that there are only a finite number of tools in the cancer-treatment toolbox, and chemo is an extremely important one in that it's one of the only ones that can be used repeatedly. Most of the cancer treatment drugs can be used only for a short time until the cancer becomes resistant to them and then that's it. 

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 20 Oct 2022 at 14:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 15:45

Hi Chris thank you for your reply-it’s very useful & I will advise my Dad 😊.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 16:56
Not Russian roulette - years of experience with a tried and tested treatment which some patients are allergic to but need in order not to die yet