I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Gleason 7 N0 but told need bone scan

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 19:25

Hi- hubby & I had the news today of biopsy. Suggest radical surgery but needs bone scan- is this normal? Do they show false hot spots that means surgery won’t happen? Any advice appreciated please as now so scared. 
thank you 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 21:40
A bone scan is an entirely normal part of the diagnostic process. There's absolutely no reason to be concerned about it.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 22:07

Bone scan normal at this stage, the fact they are talking about surgery means they are not expecting to find anything, but they have to check.

You really shouldn't be worrying about false positives. Just take one step at a time, why worry about false positives, when it will probably come back negative anyway.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 23:44

I was in exactly the same position 6 years ago, G7.  Had a bone scan and all was fine.  This is standard for them to do.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2022 at 00:03
Standard procedure here along with a CT scan, I had both within days of a positive biopsy, didn't know the health care system could react that fast.

BTW like you I was G7 4+3 and had an open RP and are undetectable 15 months out.

All the best.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2022 at 01:19

T2a N0 Mx Gleason 3+4 PSA 8.75

Need to enquire why I was not offered a bone scan. I had a CT scan but only because I had free fluid in the abdomen. I had read PSA <20 and Gleason <9 then there was a very low chance of spread to bones.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2022 at 06:21
As said before that is just normal standard procedure. All the best
User
Posted 21 Oct 2022 at 10:50

I hadn’t found this forum during the diagnostic process….but wish I had. As after my husbands MRI he got a phone call to go for a bone scan and then appointment for biopsy. Completely panicked and thought the worst, and didn’t eat or sleep for days! His did actually come back positive but after second opinion that changed and then a further PSMA pet scan to confirm.