I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travel Insurance Confusion

User
Posted 22 Oct 2022 at 15:46

Hi all. I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in June 2019. Currently feeling pretty good and being treated with 3 monthly Zoladex implants and bicalutamide. I've really struggled to find affordable travel insurance until last week, when I got a quote from Insurance With for £282 for myself and my wife for an annual policy. GREAT!

However, I am due an implant and PSA test next week. My last PSA was 9.3. My next appointment at Oncology in Preston is towards the end of November when I am expecting to be advised to switch from bicalutamide to arbiraterone as my PSA score is increasing.

Several questions arise. Does the medication being taken affect the travel insurance premium? Should I wait for the change in medication and (hopefully) a reduction in the PSA score before getting a quote? Should I take the quote I've got and make alterations later? Our first holiday next year won't be until June.

I realise that, compared to the problems I could have with cancer, this is pretty unimportant, but if anyone has any answers I would appreciate them.

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 09:06

The whole thing is very frustrating. However, I am currently watching Madagascar with my 3 year old grandson, so other things do become somewhat less important!

Insurance With say I need to "Contact us if you or anyone else insured by the policy have a change in health after you have taken out this insurance". Suitably vague eh!

I think the thing for me to do is wait till my next oncology appointment when I expect my meds to be changed and then start the process again. Not exactly satisfactory but the best option I think. At least I'm starting from an affordable quote this time.

It's the inconsistency, even from within the same company, that gets you. It's almost as bad as premiership referees!

User
Posted 04 Nov 2022 at 10:30

Just to conclude this thread, today I have paid for an annual travel insurance policy with Insurance With for my wife and I for just under £400!! I need to tell them if there is any substantial rise in PSA and inform them of medication changes. I'm delighted!!! I just hope I don't need it now😏

By the way, could have got it for just under £300 but went for more cover just in case.

Edited by member 04 Nov 2022 at 10:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 17:25

I’ve been on the phone today with insurewith and managed to get my husband and I insured to go to America for just under £200 and this includes my husband’s advanced prostate cancer I was more than happy with that price as in May when we went to Canada we struggled to get him covered one company quoted us over £3000, in the end we took cover that excluded his cancer and that cost us £350.

just thought I would let people know 

ann

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 17:44

Great to hear Ann. We’ve got a week in Lanzarote and summer hols in Brittany booked.

Edited by member 16 Nov 2022 at 17:45  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Oct 2022 at 18:30
If I’m honest with you , you need to be very very careful. Insurancewith seems to be the only site selling insurance to advanced PCa clients so you picked well there. But an annual insurance is shaky. Unless you notify them of each psa change or medication change etc etc then your insurance would be null and void if anything should happen. I have advanced PCa aged 55 and up until last year I could get no insurance even with them. The only thing that changed was that I had bone and CT scans which proved the cancel was stable. It was one of their questions. If you’re in Europe then you could take a risk , but I was on 3 cruises and repatriation is about £100k so if you’ve misinformed them you’re looking at selling your house.

Remember ANY insurance is more or less crookery and whether it be car , travel or house , they will do ANYTHING not to pay out , and they usually win !!

I would take single policies based on your condition and meds at the time. Don’t do it online but speak to someone ok. Good luck and happy travels

User
Posted 22 Oct 2022 at 20:12

Hi. Thanks for that Chris. Not necessarily the answers I was hoping for but could be worse I suppose. I realised I would need to keep the company informed of changes in meds and PSA but not sure about how close to departure I would need a PSA test. Need to talk to the insurance company I think.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2022 at 21:40

You don't need to tell the insurer about PSA readings - only changes of treatment or the onco advising of progression.

Dad is 85 and still has his annual insurance policy including cruise cover. His PSA is rising slowly but the insurer just asks whether there has been a change of treatment

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Oct 2022 at 21:42

Thanks for that. Do you know who the insurer is?

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 07:10
I was blocked by every company asking “ what did your most recent scans indicate”. Which of course I couldn’t answer because the last ones I had were the ones that showed widespread mets. Dead end. I explained HT monitoring psa as an indicator and I actually think they may take that on board in the future. But for me it was a case of no scans no travel. End of. The hospital were nice to arrange scans so I filled my boots with getaways
User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 09:06

The whole thing is very frustrating. However, I am currently watching Madagascar with my 3 year old grandson, so other things do become somewhat less important!

Insurance With say I need to "Contact us if you or anyone else insured by the policy have a change in health after you have taken out this insurance". Suitably vague eh!

I think the thing for me to do is wait till my next oncology appointment when I expect my meds to be changed and then start the process again. Not exactly satisfactory but the best option I think. At least I'm starting from an affordable quote this time.

It's the inconsistency, even from within the same company, that gets you. It's almost as bad as premiership referees!

User
Posted 24 Oct 2022 at 16:48

Edited by member 23 Dec 2022 at 02:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Oct 2022 at 17:06

Thanks for that…… I think!! Insurance With have given me a reasonable quote for cover including prostate cancer. I had to answer loads of questions on an online form, one of which asked for my most recent PSA score and another asked about meds. As my PSA is increasing as the bicalutamide becomes less effective and as I will therefore probably change meds to arbiraterone next month, I’ve decided to wait and try for another quote in a couple of months. 
My wife has already made it quite plain that, unless I can get cover, we’re staying in the uk for the foreseeable future and your post has mage her even more determined to keep to that.

THANKS A BUNCH!😁

User
Posted 24 Oct 2022 at 17:35
Dean, how sad that you were told you couldn't get cover. There are companies that will cover you abroad, although you may not be willing to pay the premium.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Oct 2022 at 18:28

You can check tackleprostate.org

Check About Prostate Cancer,  Resources: they have an article about Travel Insurance.

User
Posted 24 Oct 2022 at 20:23

Thanks Eric. I'll check it out

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 11:14
Currently in Spain for 4 weeks, got insurance with Nationwide BS but not covered for prostate cancer.

I asked Nationwide if I got knocked off my electric bike and broke my leg would I be covered, they said yes unless I was affected by drink or drugs. Don't think they meant prostap.

The way I see it if I fall ill I can be home the next day.

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 11:35
Just got back from Tenerife recently, earlier this year picked up an annual policy for the cost of a single trip with all clear who 18 month ago wouldn't insure me, I presume they have changed underwriters, its a mystery, all I should do is notify them of any changes to treatment.
User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 11:39

Thanks for the responses. It's the inconsistency that is the problem. A blanket "No" would almost be preferable. Anyway, had implant and PSA test today, so I'll see how things develop. I have to say that I was a bit astonished when I got the quote off Insure With so easily. Hopefully the same will happen when or if my meds are changed.

User
Posted 27 Oct 2022 at 19:26

Edited by member 23 Dec 2022 at 02:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Oct 2022 at 19:40

Have a look at Insurance With’s reviews on Trustpilot. I know the minefield that online reviews can lead you into, but even so……

I have just had my latest PSA score and it’s only gone p a bit to 10.7, so I’m going to give them a try next week. 
If I can get anywhere near the £300 they quoted for myself and my wife, I’ll be delighted 😁 

User
Posted 27 Oct 2022 at 22:39
We were with Insurewith for years, with PCa covered. They were excellent - their USP is to insure people with medical conditions. They even covered John when he went to climb Kilimanjaro post-op pre-salvage RT.

Dean is correct that travel without PCa covered is high risk as the insurer will try to argue that completely unrelated problems are somehow related. My brother died abroad at the age of 27 and the insurer dipped out on a technicality which left us with a bill of many many £000s to get his body home. I would never go overseas without full cover now.

The issue becomes how much are you willing to pay for peace of mind - we paid £4000 to insure my mother-in-law for her final trip to Australia but she had many health problems including cancer and we knew that it would be the last time she saw her daughter, grandchildren and Australian great-grandchildren so it was worth every penny.

User
Posted 27 Oct 2022 at 22:51

Hi Lyn, I think if I was on my own, I would probably just go and keep everything crossed, but my wife keeps me sensible. There would be no point in us going abroad with no insurance because Heather would just spend the time away watching me in case something untoward happened!

Anyway, hopefully my problem is solved.

User
Posted 29 Oct 2022 at 10:24
Thanks for the suggestion to try InsureWith. Did the online application, and was declined cover. Not really suprised, but it was worth a go.

Regardless, I'm hoofing it back to the USA for a road trip around the SW states (like you see in the movies) and hopefully returning early December via Hong Kong (with all its COVID compliance). A bit reckless? Who knows, but I'm at that point now where I feel this may be my last opportunity to do such things, and I'm not prepared to give up on these dreams just yet, despite all the obstacles like medical insurance, airlines changing flight schedules, lousy exchange rates, and the slight(ish) worry that things could go horribly wrong.

My GP thoroughly approves, and he knows what he's talking about, so that's all good. Wish me luck!

User
Posted 04 Nov 2022 at 10:30

Just to conclude this thread, today I have paid for an annual travel insurance policy with Insurance With for my wife and I for just under £400!! I need to tell them if there is any substantial rise in PSA and inform them of medication changes. I'm delighted!!! I just hope I don't need it now😏

By the way, could have got it for just under £300 but went for more cover just in case.

Edited by member 04 Nov 2022 at 10:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 17:25

I’ve been on the phone today with insurewith and managed to get my husband and I insured to go to America for just under £200 and this includes my husband’s advanced prostate cancer I was more than happy with that price as in May when we went to Canada we struggled to get him covered one company quoted us over £3000, in the end we took cover that excluded his cancer and that cost us £350.

just thought I would let people know 

ann

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 17:40
That’s great. Insurancewith have been really listening I think as to the low ish risk of PCa if under control 👍
User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 17:44

Great to hear Ann. We’ve got a week in Lanzarote and summer hols in Brittany booked.

Edited by member 16 Nov 2022 at 17:45  | Reason: Not specified