Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

ADT - How long?

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 10:37

Hi Gang,

I've got my second Prostap 3 injection coming up next month and I was wondering when they say "2 years of ADT" is that from the very first injection or is it 2 years starting after the RT?

Thanks 

Jon

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 15:13

For me two years started on  2 April 2018 and last injection was 96 weeks later. As it lasts 12 weeks it would have run out on week 108 so two years and four weeks. The RT was given about six months after the first injection.

It took about 10 months after the last injection to recover erections and libido.

Dave

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 15:52

Hi  Jon

I started ADT back in March with 2 weeks of tablets them my first injection. I was convinced to start the treatment even though I still hadn't decided whether to go for the op or RT by the oncologist  he said it would be for 18 months to 2 years but I forgot to ask the question you're asking. 

I then went for RT (mainly because the consultant surgeon said he would recommend I had RT after the op & also as I was now on ADT  that part of my concerns about RT was decided) I had 2 telephone appointments with the clinical oncologist and although I'd made a note to ask her about when 18 months /2 years started I again forgot 😯.  However when I got the not of our second telephone appointment itsaid " Treatment: On 2 years' neo adjuvant & adjuvant androgen deprivation therapy (which I take to be ADT) until August  2024 which is 2 years after I finished my RT! I have to say I was hoping  all being well with PSA teats it would end September 23 which she had said was when she will sign me off if my PSA remains undetectable. 

I am due to meet her next September (2024) and have asked to have a face to face meeting which she's agreed.

I know from a couple of friends who had ADT & RT that at the time they were signed off by oncology you have a choice to stop ADT. 

I realise I've not answered your question but it seems to me they, oncologists, prefer a belt and bracers approach.  As as the oncologist said "we won't fully know for certain if the RT has worked until you come off the ADT". 

Les

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 20:33

My oncologist said 3 years of HT post RT, which would have made a total of 3 years and 4 months from the time I started the HT pre RT. I've gone through 2 years from the start of HT now with psa at <.01 for the entire post RT period and I'm choosing to stop HT a year earlier than 3 years from the start o the HT.

Jules

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 15:13

For me two years started on  2 April 2018 and last injection was 96 weeks later. As it lasts 12 weeks it would have run out on week 108 so two years and four weeks. The RT was given about six months after the first injection.

It took about 10 months after the last injection to recover erections and libido.

Dave

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 15:52

Hi  Jon

I started ADT back in March with 2 weeks of tablets them my first injection. I was convinced to start the treatment even though I still hadn't decided whether to go for the op or RT by the oncologist  he said it would be for 18 months to 2 years but I forgot to ask the question you're asking. 

I then went for RT (mainly because the consultant surgeon said he would recommend I had RT after the op & also as I was now on ADT  that part of my concerns about RT was decided) I had 2 telephone appointments with the clinical oncologist and although I'd made a note to ask her about when 18 months /2 years started I again forgot 😯.  However when I got the not of our second telephone appointment itsaid " Treatment: On 2 years' neo adjuvant & adjuvant androgen deprivation therapy (which I take to be ADT) until August  2024 which is 2 years after I finished my RT! I have to say I was hoping  all being well with PSA teats it would end September 23 which she had said was when she will sign me off if my PSA remains undetectable. 

I am due to meet her next September (2024) and have asked to have a face to face meeting which she's agreed.

I know from a couple of friends who had ADT & RT that at the time they were signed off by oncology you have a choice to stop ADT. 

I realise I've not answered your question but it seems to me they, oncologists, prefer a belt and bracers approach.  As as the oncologist said "we won't fully know for certain if the RT has worked until you come off the ADT". 

Les

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 17:34

It's measured from when you start HT, i.e. total length on HT.

You want some of the HT before the RT (neoadjuvant), HT during RT (concurrent), and some after the RT (adjuvant), but exactly when you have the RT during the HT isn't critical. There has been a move among some oncologists to increase the neoadjuvant period from 3 to 6 months over the last few years, as some research shows outcomes are better the lower PSA is when you start RT.

An exception is for low grade cancers which don't merit HT, or high dose rate treatments where HT isn't as effective, but where HT is used to shrink the prostate first, and then there's no adjuvant HT.

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 20:33

My oncologist said 3 years of HT post RT, which would have made a total of 3 years and 4 months from the time I started the HT pre RT. I've gone through 2 years from the start of HT now with psa at <.01 for the entire post RT period and I'm choosing to stop HT a year earlier than 3 years from the start o the HT.

Jules