I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HT/RT G9 (4+5)

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 17:56

I was diagnosed with PCa in September as G9 (4+5) and have been told that it is localised and with a curable intent. Bone and CT scans clear and nothing shown in my nodes or bones. I am currently on HT with radiotherapy in January with 20 sessions then HT for 18 months. My PSA was 12. Just wondering if there are people on here with similar details that have had good outcomes. I know that this is an aggressive C but they say they have caught it early. Feeling a bit low despite the positives as thinking to far ahead if RT failed and already thinking I am on deaths door! Thank you. 

User
Posted 24 Oct 2022 at 01:20
We have members on here who were diagnosed with very similar stats to yours, had RT/HT and are still here in excess of 15 years later. I think George H might be coming up to 20 years in 2023 despite a recurrence a few years back.

Your doctors are offering you curative treatment with the aim of full remission. There is no reason for you to be thinking of death with these diagnostics; I think sometimes doctors use words without making sure we understand what they mean .... 'aggressive' cancer sounds like it is rushing around your body, spreading like wildfire but that isn't what aggressive means in the context of prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is described as 'aggressive' if your PSA is more than 20, your Gleason score is more than 8 and / or your staging is T3 or higher. It would be better if doctors used an alternative phrase as they don't seem to realise how frightening some men find the word aggressive

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 18:41

I was diagnosed with Gleason 9 psa 24.9 2years ago 37 lots off radiotherapy and just about to finish hormone therapy psa now steady for past year at 0.01 working all way through treatment things ok at the moment 🤞

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 20:21

Yes, similar situation to you although I'm 75. Gleason 9, psa 11,  though also several lymph node mets. Treated with RT followed by HT. I'm on a similar timeline to gaz. PSA has stayed steady at .01 for two years now, so the treatment is doing a great job. Your team have "caught it early". HT is not entirely easy but work hard on our health and fitness and you'll get through this ok

Jules

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 21:39

I've replied to your private message, but for the public record: my diagnosis was about the same as yours, treatment roughly the same as yours (some brachy as well) four years later I'm fine. Worrying about RT failing is totally pointless, it's true that it has a certain percentage success/failure rate, but cross bridges when you get to them not before.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 18:41

I was diagnosed with Gleason 9 psa 24.9 2years ago 37 lots off radiotherapy and just about to finish hormone therapy psa now steady for past year at 0.01 working all way through treatment things ok at the moment 🤞

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 19:18

Everyone fears the worst but treatment is good and lots on here have had positive outcomes I feel like I am on the mend hopefully everything stays good 2years on and more or less back to normal 👍

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 20:21

Yes, similar situation to you although I'm 75. Gleason 9, psa 11,  though also several lymph node mets. Treated with RT followed by HT. I'm on a similar timeline to gaz. PSA has stayed steady at .01 for two years now, so the treatment is doing a great job. Your team have "caught it early". HT is not entirely easy but work hard on our health and fitness and you'll get through this ok

Jules

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 20:26

Well said Jules  I am sure slf will be ok you along with Dave  Cheshire Chris and Lynn will i am sure  will offer more positive information too 

User
Posted 23 Oct 2022 at 21:39

I've replied to your private message, but for the public record: my diagnosis was about the same as yours, treatment roughly the same as yours (some brachy as well) four years later I'm fine. Worrying about RT failing is totally pointless, it's true that it has a certain percentage success/failure rate, but cross bridges when you get to them not before.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Oct 2022 at 01:20
We have members on here who were diagnosed with very similar stats to yours, had RT/HT and are still here in excess of 15 years later. I think George H might be coming up to 20 years in 2023 despite a recurrence a few years back.

Your doctors are offering you curative treatment with the aim of full remission. There is no reason for you to be thinking of death with these diagnostics; I think sometimes doctors use words without making sure we understand what they mean .... 'aggressive' cancer sounds like it is rushing around your body, spreading like wildfire but that isn't what aggressive means in the context of prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is described as 'aggressive' if your PSA is more than 20, your Gleason score is more than 8 and / or your staging is T3 or higher. It would be better if doctors used an alternative phrase as they don't seem to realise how frightening some men find the word aggressive

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Oct 2022 at 07:19

Thank you Lyn for the reply. I think you are totally right about the word ‘aggressive’ as it’s exactly what you said. I have a vision it’s moved to every organ in my body within the space of a month after being diagnosed! I know a friend of a friend who also had similar diagnoses as mine who’s still here and that was 23 years ago he was diagnosed! He’s 86 now! I am sure also there’s plenty more men statistically not on here who are still here with similar stats as mine. It’s my mind thinking the worst! From being a glass half full kind of bloke I have become a glass half empty!  Thanks again for the reply Lyn.