I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A question for motorbike riders

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 14:14

My husband has had motorbikes all his life. He's an all weather rider, and regular visitor to the TT. I was just wondering if he'll be able to continue riding through, and too treatment, which will be brachytherapy & radiotherapy, 30 miles away at The Christie in Manchester. Bikes have always been his passion, and recently, his sanity saver, as two weeks after he was given the diagnosis, he decided he wanted to go for a ride, get some air & something to eat. Ten hours later we were back home after riding 500 miles, and having had lunch in Edinburgh. If at some point he has to stop riding, I have everything crossed that it will only be for a short time.

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 04:43

This is a good conversation,  I gave bikes up a few years ago, but when I was given my diagnosis it made me think of what I had become.  So I have decided to get a bike again,  have put it on hold as I will be having a prostate  removal as told this was best option for me. Reading all of these made me think have I made the right choice in putting it on hold

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 10:45

Riding a motorbike reduces your chance of dieing from prostate cancer.

Dave

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 14:36

I still ride my bike every day even rode to hospital and back for my radiotherapy not sure if he has a prosectomy he might have to refrain for a while it settles no reason to have to stop riding think Dave 64 still uses his bike on a regular basis 

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 15:32
Yes, I think the abdominal muscles would be an issue after a prostatectomy. Probably have to give it a rest for 2-3 months at least. Should be fine during RT, though.

Chris

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 16:43

Yes, I still ride my bike regularly, and I rode it to most of the radiotherapy sessions at the Christie (I am an all weather biker, but thunderstorms are a bit much). Traffic and parking is so much easier on a motorbike.

Assuming he is having HDR brachy, it will be an overnight stay, with general anaesthetic, he won't get much sleep, as hospital wards are not good. (BTW food is excellent, if I get a recurrence of cancer, I'd be happy just to get another portion of Key Lime Pie).

So if you can give him a lift home after the brachy that would be good, other than that it is motorbike all the way through.

As others have said with a prostatectomy you would need a good few weeks for muscles to heal. Not so much for general riding, but for when the bike falls over at the super market carpark, and with great embarrassment you try and pick it up before everyone has noticed, and give yourself a hernia.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Nov 2022 at 12:20

Parking is easy on a motorcycle. Carpark D on Wilmslow road is about 300 yards from the hospital. I think it is £1 per day, but I was told to just drive my bike through the pedestrian entrance for free, and if it says carpark full ignore it. For radiotherapy I parked on Cotton Lane on the public road, restricted parking but could always squeeze a bike on the end. (Only 100 yards from the entrance to the RT suites).

Carpark C is a small multistory in the grounds of the hospital. I think I parked my car in there once, I can't remember if I parked my bike there though. I guess if I were in overnight I would want the bike in the multistorey for safety. I never chained my bike up, it's not like the centre of Manchester.

Dave

User
Posted 16 Jan 2023 at 21:50

Glad he's on his bike, and by the time you read this he will be over half way through. Going to be cold next week though.

Dave

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 18:56
Sorry late to this conversation - I have been riding all the way through my treatment - only pausing 1 week whilst I recovered from my Da Vinci prostatectomy... rode to my radiotherapy sessions, Marsden visits etc.

I find motorcycles have always been a great way to forget your troubles generally and PC worries in particular .... ESSENTIAL for your Mental Health IMO!

So all you non-riders out there - ignore what the wife says and get a bike...even a 50cc moped that you won't need a licence for...!!!

Currently making a nuisance of myself on a Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster 1200 (well I am getting old and prefer cruising about rather than my previous Road-Rocket Supersport bikes (mostly Ducatis).

Good luck to you all with this rotten disease and hallo to all my Old Chums!!!

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 05:06
Hi Denden, (I won't use your real name although I remember it). Good to see you are still hanging in there and have popped up again after quite a while!. I remember a few of us met up at Brooklands and again at a pub on the road to Southend. a long time ago now before my wife and I moved to Devon. There was another PCa victim who was married to a lady cleric. I wonder how he is doing? You may remember my wife who joined us for the day at Brooklands. Sadly, she developed Vascular Dementia in 2014 and passed away recently.

Still got the XJ900 in the garage and as now on my own, may trade it for something lighter I could manage for occasional short rides. I would also like to go to the TT one last time but it will have to be by car and perhaps next year.

For anybody who might be interested, there is a very large meeting of Bikers each year at Bideford in Devon. The Road beside the Quay is closed and Bikes are everywhere along it's length and some events spilling over into Victoria Park. Apart from the Bikes there were an estimated 5000 visitors and 60 stalls in 2023. It gets bigger each year and in 2024 will be on Sunday 26th May. (Google it!!)

Barry
User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 09:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

This is a good conversation,  I gave bikes up a few years ago, but when I was given my diagnosis it made me think of what I had become.  So I have decided to get a bike again,  have put it on hold as I will be having a prostate  removal as told this was best option for me. Reading all of these made me think have I made the right choice in putting it on hold

I agree, a good conversation. 

I too gave up bikes years ago and I miss it, I don't miss riding in the freezing cold though. I'd have to be a fair weather biker now. Plus, I'd have to demote my car to on-street parking. 

Maybe one of the kids will let me ride theirs for old times sake. 

Kev.

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 11:04
Bloody hell Denden, how wonderful to see you pop in and to know that you are still well & playing with the Bonneville!!!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 09:35

Hello guys and gals. Interesting thread about motorcycles πŸ‘. I was also a teenage biker at 15 with a little Tiger Cub. Then a tuned BSA starfire 250 which went very well but blew head gaskets every 10 minutes… Then when I was 17 I built a bitza Ariel 350 which was cool with a BSA tank and Honda 750 seat and an MGA piston. Unfortunately I broke the con rod at speed and decided enough was enough and bought a new DT 400 Enduro.

Then a nice Ducati 500 but met my missus and changed it for a Suzuki GS1000 with a better seat, bikini fairing and low bars😁… fastest bike on the road in ‘79 especially with 9 stone me and 7 stone g/friend 😬

Had a few bikes since but then a gap, then the dreaded PCa came along and I hankered after something to keep me busy and bought a pond dwelling 1973 Kawasaki 350 Triple to rebuild. All done now but it feels too heavy for me now at 69 and withered from years of HT so it’s going up for sale shortly. It kept me busy for 9 months which was the purpose really. Money raised to go in the holiday pot. 

Envy you guys who can still do it. I looked at a few lightweight trail type bikes but they were too tall for me. We also live in quite a busy area so not so pleasant on a bike. 

So guys if you can still do it and feel safe get out there and enjoy. 

Phil

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 14:36

I still ride my bike every day even rode to hospital and back for my radiotherapy not sure if he has a prosectomy he might have to refrain for a while it settles no reason to have to stop riding think Dave 64 still uses his bike on a regular basis 

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 15:32
Yes, I think the abdominal muscles would be an issue after a prostatectomy. Probably have to give it a rest for 2-3 months at least. Should be fine during RT, though.

Chris

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 16:43

Yes, I still ride my bike regularly, and I rode it to most of the radiotherapy sessions at the Christie (I am an all weather biker, but thunderstorms are a bit much). Traffic and parking is so much easier on a motorbike.

Assuming he is having HDR brachy, it will be an overnight stay, with general anaesthetic, he won't get much sleep, as hospital wards are not good. (BTW food is excellent, if I get a recurrence of cancer, I'd be happy just to get another portion of Key Lime Pie).

So if you can give him a lift home after the brachy that would be good, other than that it is motorbike all the way through.

As others have said with a prostatectomy you would need a good few weeks for muscles to heal. Not so much for general riding, but for when the bike falls over at the super market carpark, and with great embarrassment you try and pick it up before everyone has noticed, and give yourself a hernia.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Nov 2022 at 11:16

Hi Dave, can I just ask if there is parking for motorcycles at The Christie?

User
Posted 06 Nov 2022 at 12:20

Parking is easy on a motorcycle. Carpark D on Wilmslow road is about 300 yards from the hospital. I think it is £1 per day, but I was told to just drive my bike through the pedestrian entrance for free, and if it says carpark full ignore it. For radiotherapy I parked on Cotton Lane on the public road, restricted parking but could always squeeze a bike on the end. (Only 100 yards from the entrance to the RT suites).

Carpark C is a small multistory in the grounds of the hospital. I think I parked my car in there once, I can't remember if I parked my bike there though. I guess if I were in overnight I would want the bike in the multistorey for safety. I never chained my bike up, it's not like the centre of Manchester.

Dave

User
Posted 16 Jan 2023 at 13:06

Just a brief update on this. He continues to ride his bike as usual, and only stopped for the three weeks after brachytherapy, due to having a catheter in. He's had 11 of 23fr, and feeling fine so far, so has mostly gone on his bike. 

User
Posted 16 Jan 2023 at 21:50

Glad he's on his bike, and by the time you read this he will be over half way through. Going to be cold next week though.

Dave

User
Posted 18 Jan 2023 at 18:31

Only stopped riding a few few years ago,
Nothing to do with Prostate Cancer 
Do Miss it 

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 04:43

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 10:45

Dave

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 12:14

πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ»

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 13:14

My OH has been riding since his mid teens, when he did trials riding & motocross racing. And even before his diagnosis he's always said that, if there ever came a time when he couldn't ride, he would still keep one, so that he could sit in the garage or garden with it to either tinker with, or just to admire and sniff.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2023 at 00:27
I bought my first motorcycle at a very tender age for fun and like most young people at the time because I couldn't afford a car. There followed many bikes over the years and some of my happiest memories were long ago as a member of a leading motorcycle club. We had many a laugh at meetings of our social section (held at a pub) and enjoyed outings which included visits to race meetings and taking part in road trials. I was also a member of the Trials Section but due to lack of funds didn't have a van or trailer to transport my competition bike, so I had to ride it to and from events which meant riding it during events and with the sweat freezing under my Barbour suits on the way home. We had to get home early as the bikes lacked lights. We also ran a Hill Climb and organized Scrambles which were televised. I suppose they would come under the heading of Motocross nowadays. There was also a Racing section for those who competed on tracks and the Isle of Man TT races. I was not a member of this but did get a ride round a couple of tracks. Even on the road before the 70mph limit, those of us with powerful bikes were breaking the ton at times and this was before discs brakes became available. There are some stories I could tell but will resist on another person's thread!

Suffice to say, from time to time I bought a bike and for some time justified it by using it to commute from my home to my workplace in London, which meant I had it for pure pleasure at other times too.

Having had a long break from bikes, I bought a Yamaha XJ900s Diversion for my 80th birthday. It was a later version of the bike I used to ride to work on many years previously. I rode it home from somewhere near Slough to Devon only to realize it was now too heavy for me and uncomfortable due to back problems and spondylitis in my neck. So it has remained unridden in my garage for six years now. I must fettle it when I get the time and sell it, as sadly I have come to the realization that my biking days are over. But what times I had, greatly enhanced by being a club member for the early years.

Barry
User
Posted 05 Feb 2023 at 03:32
Great background Elle Jay and Barry.

Reminds me that we all were and are much more than what PCa has made us. I was bike mad in my teens - lived, breathed and dreamed them. Was a Brit bike snob then but appreciated and moved on to Japanese later.

Still got a couple.

Cheers John

User
Posted 29 Mar 2024 at 18:56
Sorry late to this conversation - I have been riding all the way through my treatment - only pausing 1 week whilst I recovered from my Da Vinci prostatectomy... rode to my radiotherapy sessions, Marsden visits etc.

I find motorcycles have always been a great way to forget your troubles generally and PC worries in particular .... ESSENTIAL for your Mental Health IMO!

So all you non-riders out there - ignore what the wife says and get a bike...even a 50cc moped that you won't need a licence for...!!!

Currently making a nuisance of myself on a Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster 1200 (well I am getting old and prefer cruising about rather than my previous Road-Rocket Supersport bikes (mostly Ducatis).

Good luck to you all with this rotten disease and hallo to all my Old Chums!!!

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 05:06
Hi Denden, (I won't use your real name although I remember it). Good to see you are still hanging in there and have popped up again after quite a while!. I remember a few of us met up at Brooklands and again at a pub on the road to Southend. a long time ago now before my wife and I moved to Devon. There was another PCa victim who was married to a lady cleric. I wonder how he is doing? You may remember my wife who joined us for the day at Brooklands. Sadly, she developed Vascular Dementia in 2014 and passed away recently.

Still got the XJ900 in the garage and as now on my own, may trade it for something lighter I could manage for occasional short rides. I would also like to go to the TT one last time but it will have to be by car and perhaps next year.

For anybody who might be interested, there is a very large meeting of Bikers each year at Bideford in Devon. The Road beside the Quay is closed and Bikes are everywhere along it's length and some events spilling over into Victoria Park. Apart from the Bikes there were an estimated 5000 visitors and 60 stalls in 2023. It gets bigger each year and in 2024 will be on Sunday 26th May. (Google it!!)

Barry
User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 07:43

For anybody who might be interested, there is a very large meeting of Bikers each year at Bideford in Devon.

Morning Barry.

Firstly, may I say how sorry I am to hear of your recent loss, please accept my sincere condolences.

I've never been a biker, but my grandson's dad is and a huge TT fan. For the past decade at Xmas and on his birthday, I've been getting him framed signed photos of famous road racers.  He's filled one and a half walls of his living room with them. My wife was brought up Isle of Man and is a big bike fan.

There's a big bike night near me every year Barton (upon Humber) Bike Night. 

https://m.facebook.com/BartonBikeNightEvent?locale=en_GB

Edited by member 30 Mar 2024 at 07:44  | Reason: Link

User
Posted 30 Mar 2024 at 09:08

I agree, a good conversation. 

I too gave up bikes years ago and I miss it, I don't miss riding in the freezing cold though. I'd have to be a fair weather biker now. Plus, I'd have to demote my car to on-street parking. 

Maybe one of the kids will let me ride theirs for old times sake. 

Kev.

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 11:04
Bloody hell Denden, how wonderful to see you pop in and to know that you are still well & playing with the Bonneville!!!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 18:37

Hey Barry!

yes I remember well...good to hear from you!

Guy with the clerical wife was Murf, still doing well and I hope to winkle him out for a ride soon.

Take Care

Ross

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 18:43

Hey Lyn!

You're right I stay away for far too long... But 4 years is just silly!

Hope you're keeping well!

Ross

Edited by member 31 Mar 2024 at 18:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Mar 2024 at 23:17

Guy with the clerical wife was Murf, still doing well and I hope to winkle him out for a ride soon.

This is also fantastic news - please give him my love x 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 09:35

Hello guys and gals. Interesting thread about motorcycles πŸ‘. I was also a teenage biker at 15 with a little Tiger Cub. Then a tuned BSA starfire 250 which went very well but blew head gaskets every 10 minutes… Then when I was 17 I built a bitza Ariel 350 which was cool with a BSA tank and Honda 750 seat and an MGA piston. Unfortunately I broke the con rod at speed and decided enough was enough and bought a new DT 400 Enduro.

Then a nice Ducati 500 but met my missus and changed it for a Suzuki GS1000 with a better seat, bikini fairing and low bars😁… fastest bike on the road in ‘79 especially with 9 stone me and 7 stone g/friend 😬

Had a few bikes since but then a gap, then the dreaded PCa came along and I hankered after something to keep me busy and bought a pond dwelling 1973 Kawasaki 350 Triple to rebuild. All done now but it feels too heavy for me now at 69 and withered from years of HT so it’s going up for sale shortly. It kept me busy for 9 months which was the purpose really. Money raised to go in the holiday pot. 

Envy you guys who can still do it. I looked at a few lightweight trail type bikes but they were too tall for me. We also live in quite a busy area so not so pleasant on a bike. 

So guys if you can still do it and feel safe get out there and enjoy. 

Phil

User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 20:20

For people who have an interest in Motor Cycles, inovation and engineering genius and not aware of Allen Millyard read about him here and all done in a shed - incredible:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48UL3i6SHJQ

He has won numerous prizes and some of his creations grace museums. In other videos he shows how he cuts crankcases by hand with a hacksaw to make a 4 cylinder from two 3 cylinder engines! Fasinating.

Edited by member 02 Apr 2024 at 20:21  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 02 Apr 2024 at 20:44

Hi Barry 

'Milly' is indeed a genius. He's often on Henry Cole's Motorbike show.