I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about impact of treatment on heart

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 07:26

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum and I’m looking for any advice around treatment options for people who also have an existing heart condition.

My husband (aged 54) has just been diagnosed with PCa Gleason 6, T3a PSA 3.51. I’ve been reading about the impact of HT on the heart and I was looking for some advice/words of support as I’m very worried due to my husband already having an existing heart condition. Having the operation isn’t an option because of his condition but now I’m concerned the HT won’t be safe either. We’re meeting the oncologist in a couple of weeks but we really don’t know what will be the best treatment path for him. He is otherwise fit and well and maintains a healthy weight. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 09:24

Gleason 6 T3a is a little bit of a unusual combination, which might call the Gleason 6 into question a bit.

Being T3a, they will probably still want to hit it quite hard.

The higher power radiotherapy treatments delivered over shorter periods benefit less from hormone therapy, so you might ask about something like HDR Brachytherapy where a shorter or even no dose of HT might be required. This can be combined with a reduced dose of external beam which can help to mop up any undetected micro-mets around the prostate, and this combination is called HDR Boost although the external beam would benefit from some HT. Stereotactic radiotherapy (SABR/SBRT) might be another option with less need for HT. Some places might also consider LDR Brachytherapy depending if they think they can catch the T3a (locally advanced) part with it. With a Gleason 6, they wouldn't normally do HT, but being T3a, I would question if he's really Gleason 6.

If he does have HT, there are a few types. The tablets (Bicalutamide) have fewer side effects with the exception of higher risk of breast gland growth. The GnRH Agonist injections (Prostap, Zoladex, Decapeptyl) are more powerful and effective, but do have risks of coronary issues. The GnRH Antagonist injection (Firmagon/Degarelix) is similar to the other injections in effectiveness, slightly less risk of coronary issues, but is a less pleasant injection and given more frequently (and much more expensive). I don't know how the tablets compare with the injections for coronary issues, but unlike the injections, they don't tend to raise blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood glucose, so they may be better.

Obviously something to discuss with your oncologist. Brachytherapy and Stereotactic radiotherapy are only available at some centres. If your centre doesn't do them, they will probably not be experts in their suitability and you would have to ask for a referral elsewhere if you wanted to ask more about those treatments.

Edited by member 31 Oct 2022 at 09:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 09:42
I would take the oncologist's advice. He or she is a medical expert. People on an Internet forum are not. I'm sure that whatever advice your husband is given will be very carefully considered.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 09:51

Thanks Andy and Chris, we too were a bit unsure why you would receive a Gleason score of 6 with T3a. The urologist said it was T2/T3a as the cancer is pressing on the edge of the capsule so they couldn’t be sure if it had broken through so I’m assuming they rounded it up to T3a.  Has anyone else had that happen, I was just wondering if it’s quite common? We’ve tried to take comfort that it means it slow growing but at the moment it’s just a worry as we read and hear a lot of contradicting information.

That’s really helpful advice about all the treatment options, we are going to take a load of notes with us so we can ask all the relevant questions and make sure we have some background knowledge of the different treatments available. The urologist did say the oncologist may decide to just start RT straightaway or use HT for two to three weeks either side of the RT which she might have suggested as an option due to my husbands heart condition.

Lots to think (and worry) about before the appointment but I’m sure there are sadly many men diagnosed with PCa who have existing heart problems so we will have to put our trust in the professionals as I’m sure they will know what they are doing 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 10:05

The Gleason score shows how aggressive the cancer is. The stage shows how much it's spread. The combination of T3 and G6 probably means that it's been slowly growing for a very long time (perhaps decades). By the time it gets to T3 it really is pretty essential to get treatment. It's possible that the oncologist could recommend radiotherapy without HT if the HT is felt to be potentially damaging to the heart, but I'd wait and see what the advice is. Treatment recommendations are made by a multidisciplinary team (MDT) meeting at which all the relevant experts (in your case presumably including a cardiologist) will get together and reach a consensus about the best way forward.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 31 Oct 2022 at 10:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 10:11

Thanks for explaining, it was all a bit of a shock as my husband has had no symptoms at all and it got picked up through routine blood tests so we do consider him to be lucky as it may have become far more advanced by the time any symptoms started to develop.  Sorry to ask another question but do you know if that meeting would take place prior to us meeting with the oncologist ? It’s the waiting that’s frustrating my husband more than anything and we were both hoping that appointment would confirm the treatment plan and get it started. Many thanks 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 11:17

I was similar, in that they couldn't tell if I was T2c with it causing bulging of the prostate, or T3a having broken through just outside the prostate - scans weren't clear enough to tell. I was treated as for T3a (but was G 3+4=7, and PSA 58, so different in other respects).

With you possibly only just being T3a and G 6, they may go with some less aggressive treatments, such as LDR brachytherapy without HT.

The MDT have already met - the urologist was feeding back their suggestions (urology run the prostate MDTs, although oncology will have been there too). The MDT will discuss your case every time there's been any change since their last weekly meeting, whether that be test results back, or you having made a decision, or a clinician wanting to raise your case again for any other reason.

Edited by member 31 Oct 2022 at 11:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 11:30

In answer to one of your questions. I was diagnosed T2b prior to my prostatectomy. After post op pathology, I was graded T3a, even though I had clear margins and the tumour, whilst pressing against the capsule, had not broken through. Without removing the prostate, I imagine that all diagnoses are liable to a margin of error. 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 11:51

Thanks Andy and Peter, hopefully they will decide on a less aggressive treatment path, it’s good to know that conversation will have already taken place so it sounds like we’ll be able to hear which path they think is the safest and most appropriate to take. We just want to get started with the treatment.

Ive read the operation can be done under an epidural, do you know of anyone who has had their prostate removed this way? I still think my husband would prefer to not be operated on, and I can’t imagine being awake would be very pleasant at all, but we’re just exploring all options, many thanks 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 12:39
Waiting is what almost everyone finds to be the hardest part of the entire process; once there's a definite treatment plan in place you know where you stand and, assuming the treatment is done with curative intent (which from what you've said, your husband's will be) you can look forward to getting the treatment over with and getting on with your lives.

Finding out that you have prostate cancer with no symptoms due to an unrelated blood test is extremely common, by the way. Exactly the same thing happened to me aged 56, so much the same age as your husband. Four years later and everything's (fingers crossed!) sorted and I've never enjoyed life more. A cancer diagnosis makes you focus on what's important in life 🙂.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 12:50

Thanks Chris, they’re really positive words and it’s great to hear you have gone on to make a fully recovery 😊 we are definitely finding the waiting difficult and my husband is ready to crack on with the treatment.  Just out of interest, which treatment path did you take? I know my husband’s heart condition will play a huge factor but I’m really interested in what options people take.  

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 13:48
I had six months' hormone therapy followed by six weeks of RT and another year of HT.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 14:06

Thanks Chris, a long journey but great to hear it had the desired outcome 😊

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 14:11
In this situation I would seek an opinion from my heart surgeon on how seriously GA and the various treatments could affect me. Also you could ask a surgeon about a spinal block rather than GA. It might even be helpful if your heart consultant speaks directly to those responsible for your PCa options.

Not everybody has HT with RT, although the use of HT combined with RT does help improve results. Very few people find it difficult to tolerate EBRT and it is the HT that usually accompanies it, that tends to cause more varied and severe side effects. Also, less likely with a Gleason of 3+3 but still possible that you might need RT to deal with any cancer cells that surgery has missed,

Barry
User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 14:12
It was a long journey but, other than at the start, HT didn't really feel like "treatment". I just took a tablet every morning and that was that. It was only the latter stages of the radiotherapy where it all got a bit unpleasant, but that only lasted a few weeks and it was never more than mildly inconvenient.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 14:55

Thanks Barry, my husband isn’t under a cardiologist anymore, he just has a scan every 2 years which again we see as a positive and hopefully he will be fit enough to respond to the treatment. We are hoping he will be back under the care of a cardiologist during his treatment though to make sure his heart health is all ok.  We have a lot of questions to ask when we see the oncologist and the responses in this thread are really helpful, I appreciate you all taking the time to answer our questions.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 15:01

Thanks Chris, we have been reading about the side effects and it sounds like it’s hit and miss on who experiences these.  It’s great to hear you weren’t particularly impacted by the HT. The RT sounds worse, especially with what you have to do every day to prepare for it, however, it sounds like a very successful treatment and you are proof of this.  We know it will be a long journey but we are trying to stay positive and I’m sure there will be a treatment suitable for my husband’s heart condition. 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 20:28
Because you go to RT sessions at the same time, Monday to Friday, for weeks on end, you very quickly get into the swing of things. You meet the same people in the waiting room every day and you get to know them and the nurses. It’s a very friendly and supportive environment. It may sound odd, but I felt quite “lost” when my RT finished. You’ve been fussed over and made the centre of attention for weeks on end and then suddenly it all stops and you’re on your own!

Chris

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 21:03
NS78, I agree with others that you need to make sure the oncologists involve cardiology advice in choosing treatment. But my impression is that human beings with low androgens (otherwise known as female) tend generally to be less prone to heart attacks than those with. Athough for all of us our hearts work less well eventually.

From what I understand your husband's situation is one where HT is normally thought to improve outcomes from radiotherapy. And that surgery as an alternative is more risky due to the heart condition.

And I endorse Chris's experience above, I found the radiotherapy staff very sensitive and helpful with any issues I had, and the patients form quite a supportive community after meeting daily for several weeks. It doesn't feel that bad in practice, though I was suffering a bit in my fourth week and for a few weeks afterwards.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 21:36

Thanks J-B, we’ll make sure we have all the right questions we need to ask the oncologist. We’re really concerned about the impact on his heart so we’re hoping the oncologist will be able to advise…I’m sure there are many others in the same position.

It’s good to hear you and Chris found it a supporting environment…I can imagine it does feel very lonely once it’s completed. 

My husband has been assigned a couple of support nurses which the urologist said would make contact which was 2 weeks ago now and he’s not heard anything from them yet. Is that normal or are they just there if you want to pick up the phone and ask for advice?

I’m sorry for all the questions, this is all very new to us!! 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 22:26

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
But my impression is that human beings with low androgens (otherwise known as female) tend generally to be less prone to heart attacks than those with.

There's quite a significant difference between men with low androgens, and females.

Low androgens do increase your risk of coronary artery disease, and also metabolic disease (increased visceral fat, raised blood pressure, raised cholesterol, and raised blood glucose). Blood pressure meds, statins, and Metformin can be used to correct these if necessary, and ideally these should be checked and adjusted while on hormone therapy.

Low androgens also lower your estrogens (which are made from Testosterone in men) and this causes osteoporisis. It's a bit off-label, but in the US, some patients can get Estradiol patches to compensate, but that's not available in the UK. (Nearest equivalent here are Estradiol patches on the PATCH trial to be used as the hormone therapy.)

Most people don't have serious problems with hormone therapy, but patients should get their blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood glucose monitored, because these are relatively easily corrected and reduce risks. Also, exercise is important for countering many of the side effects.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2022 at 07:19

Thanks Andy, my husband is on various medications for his heart, including statins but I’m hoping all this will be monitored.  He has regular blood tests at the doctors so we will make sure his blood glucose is checked as part of that.

Is it normal to experience back, neck and shoulder pain? My husband has always had back pain, probably for the last 10 years but it’s got a lot worse and has recently started to radiate into his neck and shoulder. It could be stress related (he’s complained about it more over the last month) but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? He’s not had any bone scans but the MRI didn’t show any signs of it spreading to his pelvic bone so we’ve taken that as a positive. 

User
Posted 01 Nov 2022 at 21:31
Thanks Andy for the low-down. It is clear that NS78 needs his doctors to keep a good eye on his cardiac symptoms.

(And is it possible that my incidental finding of high blood pressure is a consequence of the hormone therapy? The GP didn't think so, but I guess I need to keep an eye on whether it drifts downwards when testosterone returns).

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 15:02

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks Andy, my husband is on various medications for his heart, including statins but I’m hoping all this will be monitored.  He has regular blood tests at the doctors so we will make sure his blood glucose is checked as part of that.

Is it normal to experience back, neck and shoulder pain? My husband has always had back pain, probably for the last 10 years but it’s got a lot worse and has recently started to radiate into his neck and shoulder. It could be stress related (he’s complained about it more over the last month) but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? He’s not had any bone scans but the MRI didn’t show any signs of it spreading to his pelvic bone so we’ve taken that as a positive. 

As he has been diagnosed as T3, I would hope that they will offer him a bone scan before he starts on HT properly. They don't usually do bone scans for a Gleason 6 but as you are realising, your husband's G6 is a little more extensive than would usually be the case so worth asking for a bone scan if it is not offered. 

The main problem with key-hole surgical removal and heart problems is that the patient is tipped head down / feet up for the duration of the operation and this puts huge pressure on the heart. It is also a long time to be under a general anaesthetic. He might be suitable for open surgery - the operation is a bit quicker than with keyhole (so less time under GA) and he wouldn't be tipped head down - but it is still significantly more risky than if he didn't have heart problems.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 16:43

Thanks Lyn, I’m starting to feel concerned that my husbands Gleason score may not be correct (not that I’m questioning the professionals!!) but I have read on this forum that this has happened to a few people.  He had cancer in 16 out of the 27 scores taken so it was quite a significant amount but we recognise why it was staged T3a due to it pressing on the capsule. 

I can imagine the stress and worry doesn’t help and this could be making his aches and pains worse but we will make sure we mention it at the oncologist appointment, it sounds like a bone scan is needed just to rule anything else out.  I think I’m worrying at the moment that every symptom he has is related but I guess that’s only natural.

User
Posted 20 Nov 2022 at 07:54

Hi everyone, I just thought I would post an update following my husbands oncology appointment last week. It was all relatively  positive and they have advised the HT/RT route is the best option as there would be too much stress on my husbands heart with the operation. Although they don’t believe the cancer has spread, they have offered a bone scan which will be in a few weeks time. The only other issue which showed up on the scan is with his colon. They have assured us it’s not cancer but they are sending him for a colonoscopy to check the inflammation as this may mean RT they might not be an option. They couldn’t say what an alternative would be but advised us not to worry about it at this stage.  

My husband has been prescribed 50mg of Bicalutamide for 28 days then monthly injections of HT for 4 months prior to starting the RT.  

He has only had 3 tablets so far but this morning has woken up feeling like he’s been hit by a bus!! All his joints and muscles are aching, particularly his knees which he said are incredibly painful, he does have arthritis in them but he said the pain feels different to normal.  

Are aching joints a common side effect? I was just wondering how long the effects last for? Is it just a few days whilst his body gets used to the tablets or will he feel like this indefinitely?

Edited by member 22 Nov 2022 at 18:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Nov 2022 at 18:20

Good evening all, my husband went for his bone scan last Thursday so we are just waiting for the results. We’re trying to remain positive but we feel anxious about the results as he is suffering with various aches and pains which we know may be just down to age!! (54) 

He has arthritis in his knees so we’re aware that will show up but will the hospital make an appointment to discuss the results with us or will we take no news as good news? We’ve been told it can take up to two weeks so will wait until that date has passed but hoping they will call either way to confirm the results.

What have other people’s experiences been with receiving bone scan results?

Thanks 😊