Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Which surgical option. Invasive or non invasive

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 13:22

Hello,

61 year old, normally active person who has just been diagnosed with prostate Cancer. Even typing it seem so very strange. It's slow to grow, whatever that means,  and it seems we have got it at a reasonable stage than most so can't complain too much. One of the masses is right on the prostate wall and is a cause for concern so the whole prostate needs removing. 

Should I have surgical removale or Zap it with Radiotherapy. 

The recouperation seems challaning but straightforward with reasonable outcome. But I am concerned about the bladder incontinence and prolonged issues..

I know this forum can't solve my problems, just interested to hear from those who have taken journey.

This is all such a rubbish phase but I tend to keep a half full approach to challanges which I will need for sure.

Take care,

Kevin 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 16:38

Hi Kevin. You could start with downloading "The Toolkit" to give you a broad understanding of all the various treatments.

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org//our-publications/all-publications/tool-kit?limit=100

Sorry to say that all treatments will have side effects / differing outcomes. Everyone is different regarding the reasons for the choice they make. Hopefully the No 1 side effect/outcome that arises is that you no longer have cancer. 

Until you have had an MRI and Biopsy - assuming these are required - then you will not be in a position to make a decision, however if you are pre-informed of procedures and outcomes I am sure you will be in a better place.

Wishing you all the best.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2022 at 18:49

Hello Kevin,

Sorry you find yourself here. It can be useful to fill in your diagnosis in your profile/bio, in terms of PSA, Gleason score, staging (e.g. T2c, T3a, etc), if you've had a bone scan, etc.

Something that might help with decision making is trying to understand the chance there might be any microscopic spread beyond the prostate. It might also be important to you to have some idea if a prostatectomy could be nerve sparing (increases the chances of erections working afterwards).

User
Posted 01 Nov 2022 at 07:23

Thanks for replying,

I have had a MRI and  biopsy and whilst I was advised it is a slow cancer the heightened concern was one of the masses is located on the wall of the prostate and they needed to manage this before it broke through. 

I agree I still need to work through the detail and I have a follow up call in a few weeks. I have been given a 4 week time when a decision is made and a meeting has been set to decide which to make.

It does seem all types of surgery result in nerve damage to one degree or another; so it is what would work best for me.

I have a full set of documents on variouse options. I was advise by the surgeon that having Radiotherapy would mean general surgery would not be a further option due to complication the Radiotherapy does to surrounding tissue???

It seems to be a matter of further discussion with the medical teams, reviewing documents provided and reading the posts on this forum.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2022 at 07:34

Thanks for replying,

The microscopic spread Seems to be driving the need for intervention to remove the chances of it spreading beyond the Prostate. It is a slow cancer, their words, and this all seems manageable so it's more about which option and the post proceedure fall out.

I have recently recovered from a lower back operation, which seems to be what started this investigation, and I was serprised at how intense the whole rehab/recouperation was. 

I did ask if the cancer could cause lower back and hip pain which I have had for some time. The surgeon said no but a lot of credible sites list this as one of the symptoms. 

Thanks again for the feedback.