I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Freaked Out A Bit

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 01:36

First I want to say thank you to whomever created this forum. I am a newbie here and to a possible positive diagnosis with a high psa and mri report that I just read before the dr had a chance to explain it to me.

That about broke me-the dr who wrote the evaluation on the mri used terms like “high likelihood of clinical cancer” -it’s not looking like I had hoped it would
( prostatitis)- 

This forum has really helped calm me down. I’m a fitness person who never even catches a cold -I missed a year of my annual Ck up and then some this year so when my score came in high I was rushed off to the urologist -no biopsy first -but mri first-so “technically” I’ve not been diagnosed.

How have you all managed these dreadful periods of time after the mri and biopsy while on pins and needles if you have cancer or not ?

I get so scared -I’m grateful for any techniques-tips -suggestions-guidance 

Thank you

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 12:25
Ok, so the fact that antibiotics brought it down so much is strongly indicative of a prostate infection, but the next step will probably be a biopsy which will show what's going on. Most men your age do have prostate cancer - it's an inevitable part of the ageing process for a man - but that doesn't necessarily mean that radical treatment is required.

Best thing to do now - and I know it's not easy - is to just take things a day at a time and wait for the slow diagnostic process to reach a conclusion.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 13:16
You may not believe it now, but if you are diagnosed with cancer, you come to terms with it and then you get on with your life. You have to, and everyone finds their own way of doing so, but everyone does. It's this initial wait, when it's all new and a bit frightening, that's by far the most difficult part of the whole process. It may seem like an eternity until you get your final diagnosis (it may take a couple of months), but all you can do is try not to think "What if..." and just take things one day at a time.

All the best,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 07:13
1 Learn about the different stages and pathologies of prostate cancer

2 Make sure you understand YOUR diagnosis

3 Decide on the correct treatment for you

4 Forget about all the above, get p****d and have lots of sex because you only live once

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 09:04
I see from your profile that you live in the U.S.A. I have a standard line which is whatever you do don’t watch American YouTube medical video’s😂

I know the U.S medical system is completely different from the U.K NHS. Even though your question is about feelings I think the vibe from the ( medical ) environment cannot be ignored.

After my first DRE and my GP ( local general doctor ) informed me it was just a large prostrate, I just felt I had prostate cancer. I wandered aimlessly about the house had the odd tearful episode. When I walked the dog I seemed to just swear to myself throughout the walk. Luckily the dog never learned the words.

When I got the results I was not to shocked ( I had done a lot of research. The downloads from this site are excellent ) I just wanted to know the numbers. It may sound flippant but “ it is what it is”. I found the mental aspect does get easier although you do still think about it especially when you have an approaching procedure.

As you have already mentioned this site is very helpful there is a we are all in it together vibe. Just be strong, look at your reflection in the mirror and swear 🤬

Re the points from francij1. I totally agree with points 1-3, however I would modify item 4:

4 Forget about all the above, get p****d and have lots of chocolate because it’s cheaper and lasts longer than sex🤪 you only live once.😎

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 11:05

Do your research so you know what to expect if you are diagnosed with cancer. I found it helped a lot reading all the positive stories here. My husband had a raised PSA, 4.7 so not hugely raised but still above normal for his age (54), and enlargement of the prostate. He had an MRI which showed grade 4 pi-rads, (probably cancer). Had biopsies which all came back clear. His attitude was wait and see what happens, but as soon as I heard the MRI findings I went into meltdown, convinced well he definitely has cancer, checked out all the possibilities re treatment, side effects etc. Knowing what to expect helped me to calm down a bit. Thankfully we don't need to go down that route at the moment anyway. They'll be keeping an eye on his PSA which had already gone down to 3.2 before the biopsy

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 11:24

I’m having trouble this morning. I am truly petrified of the next appointment-which is likely today.

There was the ability for me to go to my chart online last night and read the doctors comments on my mri.

I got a P5 score and I’m a basket case. I am so so fearful of this whole thing-and feel so alone. 

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 11:44
What was your PSA - what was the number, I mean?

I was treated for prostate cancer is 2018 (hormone therapy and radiotherapy). I'd describe my treatment as "mildly unpleasant". The anticipation was far, far worse than the reality.

Very best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 12:15

It was 70 at first 

then after 2 weeks of antibiotics 47

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 12:25
Ok, so the fact that antibiotics brought it down so much is strongly indicative of a prostate infection, but the next step will probably be a biopsy which will show what's going on. Most men your age do have prostate cancer - it's an inevitable part of the ageing process for a man - but that doesn't necessarily mean that radical treatment is required.

Best thing to do now - and I know it's not easy - is to just take things a day at a time and wait for the slow diagnostic process to reach a conclusion.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 12:29

I so appreciate that Chris. I’m grateful for being able to turn somewhere like here -my sincerest thanks. I am just struggling with a new chapter -it’s mentally exhausting -I feel too much too soon has happened-and I’m very stressed-how do people relax and cope with this ? 

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 13:16
You may not believe it now, but if you are diagnosed with cancer, you come to terms with it and then you get on with your life. You have to, and everyone finds their own way of doing so, but everyone does. It's this initial wait, when it's all new and a bit frightening, that's by far the most difficult part of the whole process. It may seem like an eternity until you get your final diagnosis (it may take a couple of months), but all you can do is try not to think "What if..." and just take things one day at a time.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Nov 2022 at 13:23

I appreciate that Chris. 
1,day at a time.

1 step at a time.

Thanks so much 

User
Posted 04 Nov 2022 at 07:05

Hi,

Whilst a PCa diagnosis is obviously of concern to all of us, some man do need extra support. This forum is a sort of National umbrella one but we do have some local groups where men meet and provide local support although this varies with area in the UK. It might be worth checking whether you have a local support group you could join near you. I know there is a very large USA based forum with a PCa section as I am a member and occasionally look in. They allow more latitude to posters such as for giving names of Doctors and Clinics etc. https://www.inspire.com/groups/zero-prostate-cancer/?p=2&section=topic&order=new&after=2022-10-31T18%3A03%3A34Z&before=2022-10-31T14%3A23%3A42Z&activeCursor=after

I don't understand why one of our members here recommended not to watch American medical Videos. The USA has many of the World's best doctors and hospitals. Some of the best lectures I have watched have been by American doctors and a number of us long time members have watched good series videos like those of Dr 'Snuffy' Myers for example. Certainly there are differences of opinion, particularly as regards treatment but this is also the case in the UK.

If you post your full diagnosis under your Profile/Bio when available, we will have a better idea of your medical situation as easy reference and will be in a better position to respond, as well as we are able, to any questions you may wish to post.

Edited by member 04 Nov 2022 at 07:08  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 04 Nov 2022 at 07:40

Thanks 

im having difficulty with this topic -bear with me -it can be a bit too much