I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A raised PSA after biopsy

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 13:18

I posted back in June when a raised PSA of 4.7 (2019 it was 3.5)  in short had MRI and got a Likert scale 4 on a 8mm long lesion - PSA density 7.4 and DRE showed large (40cc) but smooth and regular prostate. Had biopsy (don't want to do that again in a hurry) and no cancer cells found - and told to check PSA in 3 months and so on. Just had PSA checked and it is now 5.3 - so it has increased so a tad worried - can PSA levels incease after an invasive biopsy?  thanks Gary

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 14:23
I don’t know if the biopsy can “ cause “ a rise it might just be a natural progression. I am no expert but on the 29/08/22 before I had my biopsy my PSA was 5.5. On the 30/09/22 one month after my biopsy my PSA was 8.3. At the time of writing it is now 8.6. Brachytherapy in thirteen days time will hopefully change this situation.

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 16:12

Gary, DRE, ejaculation, cycling and stimulating the prostate are all activities some of us are advised to avoid before a PSA test. There are numerous papers on how long the PSA is elevated for.

My GP missed a raised PSA result of 6.9 , three years later my PSA level was 7.7 and I went through the usual diagnostic procedures.  Around 4 months after any DREs and a trus biopsy my PSA was 10. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 20:05

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I posted back in June when a raised PSA of 4.7 (2019 it was 3.5)  in short had MRI and got a Likert scale 4 on a 8mm long lesion - PSA density 7.4 and DRE showed large (40cc) but smooth and regular prostate. Had biopsy (don't want to do that again in a hurry) and no cancer cells found - and told to check PSA in 3 months and so on. Just had PSA checked and it is now 5.3 - so it has increased so a tad worried - can PSA levels increase after an invasive biopsy?  thanks Gary

A biopsy can raise the PSA temporarily but not 3 months after the event. You have quite a big prostate which may be getting bigger, this would explain the PSA rise. Alternatively, you could have a bit of infection / inflammation. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard