I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A worried wife

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 16:50

Hello, I'm very new to this kind of thing and find myself extremely worried. 

My husband is 67 and started to have some urinary issues in June this year. They went away and returned mid August. He went for a urine test and was diagnosed with a urine infection. 1 week of antibiotics gave him a clear urine test but still some symptoms such as lower abdomen discomfort and some trouble urinating at night only on a few nights during August and for the past few weeks he's been fine with good flow during the day. His PSA is 27 and is still 27 following the antibiotic treatment. He was referred for an MRI scan as his DRE was abnormal and PSA of 27. Today was four weeks post MRI and we had a call to say they can see something on the scan and he needs to have a biopsy and also a bone scan. Is this the normal course of events for diagnosis? The nurse said he would start RT and HT on the day of the biopsy. We are both very concerned but wanted to hear from anyone who could give us some advise going forwards. Thank you all so much, AR 

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 17:21

All normal I had psa off 24.9 found Gleason 9 after biopsy had 37 fractions off radiotherapy and on hormone therapy for 2 years 18 months on doing ok psa now 0.01 few niggles but mainly ok it's all normal biopsy. bone scan ECT good luck with your treatment gaz 👍

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 17:39

As gaz61 says, it's fairly normal but what is a little unusual is that a treatment plan seems to have been decided before the biopsy and the subsequent MDT meeting. If the plan is to go down the HT/RT route (as opposed to prostatectomy) then RT will normally start further down the line when the HT has had sufficient time to start shrinking the tumour (typically six months).

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 18:11

good point Chris it seems treatment path already decided ?

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 18:42

It's never pleasant being diagnosed with prostate cancer but caught early the cure rate is quite good  lots on here have either had a prosectomy or radiotherapy and hormone therapy and seem to do well stay positive and good luck with your treatment and post your journey  their are several outstanding people on here as you will see and their advice is fantastic as I have found out personally 👍

Edited by member 08 Nov 2022 at 18:43  | Reason: Spelling error

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 20:57

Yes, it's entirely normal to wait a few weeks for results. You'll bear it because that's just what you have to do. Take it a day at a time and try not to go down the "what if..." road. You'll know where things stand once all the tests are complete.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 23:31

Yes like Lyn has said, my husband had his MRI and 6 days later he was booked in for a biopsy and bone scan. It was a few weeks before we had the appointment to discuss all the results and formal diagnosis though.

It does seem strange that they have already decided a treatment path for you. If it is localised then I would have thought  Prostatectomy would also be an option.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 08:25

Thank you. The wait time question was posted by a different user within my original post. Not sure she’ll see the replies?

We’re not sure what they’ll offer treatment wise. I was so confused yesterday I misunderstood what my husband said. They mentioned HT and RT but as you say they can’t be sure until after the biopsy. Thanks everyone. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 17:21

All normal I had psa off 24.9 found Gleason 9 after biopsy had 37 fractions off radiotherapy and on hormone therapy for 2 years 18 months on doing ok psa now 0.01 few niggles but mainly ok it's all normal biopsy. bone scan ECT good luck with your treatment gaz 👍

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 17:39

As gaz61 says, it's fairly normal but what is a little unusual is that a treatment plan seems to have been decided before the biopsy and the subsequent MDT meeting. If the plan is to go down the HT/RT route (as opposed to prostatectomy) then RT will normally start further down the line when the HT has had sufficient time to start shrinking the tumour (typically six months).

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 18:11

good point Chris it seems treatment path already decided ?

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 18:27
Thank you ChrisBromsgrove and gaz61. I asked my husband again and he said the nurse said the treatment plan would be HT first followed by RT. Apologies - this is all very confusing and scary. Very pleased to have found this forum.
User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 18:42

It's never pleasant being diagnosed with prostate cancer but caught early the cure rate is quite good  lots on here have either had a prosectomy or radiotherapy and hormone therapy and seem to do well stay positive and good luck with your treatment and post your journey  their are several outstanding people on here as you will see and their advice is fantastic as I have found out personally 👍

Edited by member 08 Nov 2022 at 18:43  | Reason: Spelling error

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 20:25

Is it usual to wait 4 weeks for the results of a MRI?  My husband has his MRI on Friday and waiting 4 weeks for the results will be unbearable.

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 20:55

Thanks again gaz61. I’ve been reading on the forum and we’re hoping with a PSA of 27 it’s localised. Just waiting for biopsy appointment now. 

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 20:56

I’m such a new member I’ve no idea I’m afraid. Others maybe able to answer. Good luck. 

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 20:57

Yes, it's entirely normal to wait a few weeks for results. You'll bear it because that's just what you have to do. Take it a day at a time and try not to go down the "what if..." road. You'll know where things stand once all the tests are complete.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 22:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Is it usual to wait 4 weeks for the results of a MRI?  My husband has his MRI on Friday and waiting 4 weeks for the results will be unbearable.

You may not have to wait 4 weeks just for the result of the MRI - they could let you know within a week or 2 that a biopsy is required. It is the full set of results that takes some time - the MRI, biopsy, any additional PSA test and any other scans such as CT / bone scan. Those results are all collated and then discussed at a multi-disciplinary team meeting. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Nov 2022 at 23:31

Yes like Lyn has said, my husband had his MRI and 6 days later he was booked in for a biopsy and bone scan. It was a few weeks before we had the appointment to discuss all the results and formal diagnosis though.

It does seem strange that they have already decided a treatment path for you. If it is localised then I would have thought  Prostatectomy would also be an option.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2022 at 08:25

Thank you. The wait time question was posted by a different user within my original post. Not sure she’ll see the replies?

We’re not sure what they’ll offer treatment wise. I was so confused yesterday I misunderstood what my husband said. They mentioned HT and RT but as you say they can’t be sure until after the biopsy. Thanks everyone.