I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Manuka honey

User
Posted 13 Nov 2022 at 17:25

hi,I know you should avoid sugar but what about Manuka honey because a lot of things taste crap.

User
Posted 13 Nov 2022 at 18:43
You don't need to avoid sugar, Radar. If you want to replace some of your sugar with honey that's fine but you don't need to pay the very high cost of manuka honey and a lot of what they advertise online as manuka honey is a bit of a con.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 13 Nov 2022 at 20:20

Lyn,thanks but I like to get the best if possible, also I had a dexa scan 3wks ago,and I had not heard  anything, so I walked down to the surgery and the receptionist said the results had  been  in for 2days yet no one has been in touch with the results, the receptionist said she  could not understand the results, so tomorrow I'm going back to get a print off,then look up dr Google, disgusting. 

User
Posted 13 Nov 2022 at 23:19
Well if you are going to buy manuka honey, get it from a reputable shop like Holland & Barrett or Hilltop honey from Tesco and not from some online dealer. Some of the online versions are not 100% manuka
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Nov 2022 at 07:49
Anything is fine in moderation. There's absolutely no need to remove all sugar from your diet.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 14 Nov 2022 at 21:42

As far as I know, the main benefit of Manuka honey is its anti-bacterial property, for bacterial infections in mouth, throat, and maybe upper GI. It can also be applied directly to things like leg ulcers where there are claims its anti-bacterial properties help with healing. If bacteria is not your issue, then no point paying for Manuka. All honey also has some anti-inflammatory benefits.

I have used Manuka with a sore throat, but of course I can't tell if it was due to a bacterial infection, or if the Manuka honey made it heal faster, as sore throats do normally heal anyway if you do nothing. (Strerilising your toothbrush is also important if you have a bacterial sore throat, so you don't keep reinfecting.)