I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rectal Burning

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 12:20

I completed 33 days of Salvage Radiotherapy just over two months go and feel I came through and out of it relatively unscathed.

About two thirds through the treatment I started experienceing rectal burning when opening my bowels, which I was told was completely normal. I was given Barrier Cream, and about three weeks after the end of treatment the burning disappeared. However, it retutrned briefly in a mild form about two months after the end of treatment, then disappeared again, but has now returned. My clinical nurse advised further use of Barrier Cream or Vaseline.

Does anyone have any advice? I swim twice a week and was wondering whether the chlorine was having an adverse effect, or a particular aspect of my diet.  There has never been any bleeding associated with the buning.

Thanks,

Peter

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 13:47

Hi Peter 18 months on from radiotherapy I still get occasional rectal burning I use anusol cream for hemaroids usually helps πŸ‘

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 15:02
It's called "radiation proctitis" and is a very common side-effect of RT. I had it on and off for about a year after RT. It would typically last for a few days and then go away, and the interval between attacks got longer and longer until it stopped entirely.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 15:06

Thanks for your reassuring reply, Chris!

That seems to be the pattern so far, and as long as I know that's not unusual, I won't worry about it too much.

Best wishes,

Peter

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 15:17

Peter  my bowels were a bit iffy for quite a while, mucus was a frequent occurrence and I did getting blood when wiping, I did get it checked out and there was nothing to worry about.

At around two months post SRT I did start passing lots blood and clots in my urine, that was eventually diagnosed as severe radiation cystitis. Severe radiation cystitis is quite rare which is probably why it wasn't picked up. The Radiation department and urology department blamed each other.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 15 Nov 2022 at 15:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 21:37
Thanks Malcolm4,

sorry to hear about the muscles wastage,

and all the best for the future.

Peter

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 13:47

Hi Peter 18 months on from radiotherapy I still get occasional rectal burning I use anusol cream for hemaroids usually helps πŸ‘

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 14:15

Thanks Garry! Good advice, which I'll gratefully take on board.

Peter

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 14:31

No problem hope it helps you too πŸ‘

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 15:02
It's called "radiation proctitis" and is a very common side-effect of RT. I had it on and off for about a year after RT. It would typically last for a few days and then go away, and the interval between attacks got longer and longer until it stopped entirely.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 15:06

Thanks for your reassuring reply, Chris!

That seems to be the pattern so far, and as long as I know that's not unusual, I won't worry about it too much.

Best wishes,

Peter

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 15:17

Peter  my bowels were a bit iffy for quite a while, mucus was a frequent occurrence and I did getting blood when wiping, I did get it checked out and there was nothing to worry about.

At around two months post SRT I did start passing lots blood and clots in my urine, that was eventually diagnosed as severe radiation cystitis. Severe radiation cystitis is quite rare which is probably why it wasn't picked up. The Radiation department and urology department blamed each other.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 15 Nov 2022 at 15:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Nov 2022 at 23:06

Many thanks, Chris!

I do hope things have settled down for you in your eventful trajectory.

Best wishes,

Peter

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 14:04

About 4 months after the end of radiotherapy, I still seem to be more susceptible to the odd bout of indigestion, with the lower abdomen more sensitive to pressure.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Otherwise, I seem to have come out of it relatively unscathed.

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 20:20
I stand corrected , but side effects from HT/RT can occur years after treatment ? I am getting muscle wastage after 3yrs of treatment
User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 21:37
Thanks Malcolm4,

sorry to hear about the muscles wastage,

and all the best for the future.

Peter

User
Posted 08 Jan 2023 at 21:53
PeterJM although I had brachytherapy six weeks ago you have summed up my lower abdomen perfectly. My groin and testicles are also very sensitive to touch ( not that I’m touching them very often although it’s nice to have a hobby πŸ€” )

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 09 Jan 2023 at 10:06
Thanks for your reply, Davekc10.

I do hope things improve soon for you.

Best wishes,

Peter