I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate friendly food

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 18:20

My husband (58), is due to have HDR brachytherapy in 2 weeks time, followed by whole pelvis radiotherapy. We've googled what foods are prostate friendly, but would rather hear from you lovely people on here. Any advice on what is recommended to eat or drink, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 10:56

Diet change was the biggest thing I did - following the advice from dieticians on the webinars last year on the prostate cancer research website - needs to be dug out but I believe they're still there.

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 18:39
Hello Elle Jay,

Today I had my pre op for my LDR Brachytherapy procedure on Monday. I asked the nurse if there were any specific restrictions on food or alcohol and she said not really. I will ask the doctor performing the procedure next week. I suspect it will be everything in moderation. I specifically asked about a high fibre diet and she said that should be o.k.

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 20:20
Ask the RT team what diet he should be on while undergoing RT when he goes in for his planning session. Different hospitals have different recommendations as to diet.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 20:31

You want a good healthy diet. Cutting out any whole categories of foods as some people do tends to take you away from this. There's some evidence polyphenols are good for prostate cancer, although I might be tempted to skip taking such anti-oxidants during radiotherapy, since the whole purpose of radiotherapy is to generate the free radicals to corrupt DNA.

You may find you need to change diet during radiotherapy. For most patients, they find they need to reduce fibre content, but a small number find the opposite, so we were told not to change anything unless/until we found we had to. You want to try and maintain the same weight from the planning scan through to finishing radiotherapy too.

While on hormone therapy, I found that in conjunction with exercise (which should be considered as mandatory while on hormone therapy), I had to increase the proportion of protein I consumed, in order to retain more muscle mass.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 18:39
Hello Elle Jay,

Today I had my pre op for my LDR Brachytherapy procedure on Monday. I asked the nurse if there were any specific restrictions on food or alcohol and she said not really. I will ask the doctor performing the procedure next week. I suspect it will be everything in moderation. I specifically asked about a high fibre diet and she said that should be o.k.

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 20:20
Ask the RT team what diet he should be on while undergoing RT when he goes in for his planning session. Different hospitals have different recommendations as to diet.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 20:31

You want a good healthy diet. Cutting out any whole categories of foods as some people do tends to take you away from this. There's some evidence polyphenols are good for prostate cancer, although I might be tempted to skip taking such anti-oxidants during radiotherapy, since the whole purpose of radiotherapy is to generate the free radicals to corrupt DNA.

You may find you need to change diet during radiotherapy. For most patients, they find they need to reduce fibre content, but a small number find the opposite, so we were told not to change anything unless/until we found we had to. You want to try and maintain the same weight from the planning scan through to finishing radiotherapy too.

While on hormone therapy, I found that in conjunction with exercise (which should be considered as mandatory while on hormone therapy), I had to increase the proportion of protein I consumed, in order to retain more muscle mass.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 10:56

Diet change was the biggest thing I did - following the advice from dieticians on the webinars last year on the prostate cancer research website - needs to be dug out but I believe they're still there.

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 12:14
I agree with Chris but would add RT can make your motions more loose on in some cases like mine result in hard stools. It is therefore possible that in such cases you have to modify your diet but not overdo it, so it's best to liaise with your RT team in such circumstances.
Barry
User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 20:15
Lots of good advice above - basically, a prostate-friendly diet is not a RT-friendly diet. Do what your oncologist or RT team advise, not what you have read online about general anti-PCa diets!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard