Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

38 years old, abnormal DRE

User
Posted 20 Nov 2022 at 07:39

Hello! 

I went for a routine control at my surgeon after a small fistula operation (yay) a year ago. I asked him to check a small nodule/bulge in my perineum thats been there for ages. So he did an DRE and ultrasound. The nodule was just a muscular thing an not involved with my prostate but…..

He said he felt a pea sized resistance in the prostate and that the rest felt very fine. He looked at the prostate with ultrasound and explained that he saw some ”echo-rich” small areas at the same spot that the resistance was. My surgeon was thinking about prostate stones but was not sure. Usually they show a shadow but thats not always the case. So he recommended me to go on to a urologist. 

I now have urologist booked in 2 weeks and have taken a PSA test that showed 1,8. As I understand that is normal but not very low. 

This thing just happened by chance and its eating me up a bit. I’m a healthy 38 year old guy who is a long distance runner and have no symptoms at all. However, after the visit to my surgeon I have had some dull ache from that area. It goes away in the evening or when in moving so I guess its just my mind. 

I know its very low chance this is cancer and if it is, it’s caught as early as its possible. But still, I don’t look forward to all this investigation.

Edited by member 20 Nov 2022 at 09:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Nov 2022 at 09:14

Prostate cancer isn't painful - if it is painful, it's more likely to be prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate), which also increases PSA, but that's not always painful either. However, at this point, you just need to wait and see what they find which is always an anxious time. If you're in the UK, next stage should be an MRI scan, so they can see it more clearly than is possible with ultrasound.

Edited by member 20 Nov 2022 at 09:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Nov 2022 at 10:54

Thanks! I live in sweden so the protocols may be a bit different, but in general very similar.

The urologist is going to perform an ultrasound again and possible biopsy (according to the letter i got). The ultrasound my surgeon was using is not specilized for prostate so I guess thats why they want to check again.

If this turns out to be cancer, I'll be the first on under 40 years old in my region :p

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 10:17

For anyone thats interested. 

DRE and ultrasound at urologist today. He felt a change of texture but not a nodule. On ultrasound he saw calcification in that same area so everything is fine. Normal sized prostate gland and he thought psa of 1.8 was absolutly normal.