Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in urine after surgery

User
Posted 22 Nov 2022 at 18:39

Hi

recently had radical prostectomy and after 10 days starting to see blood in my urine on a regular occurrence

tested for infection and negative, just keep drinking is the gp answer

it’s quite disconcerting but is this normal and awaiting the feedback from my nurse 

thx for your replies 

jeff

User
Posted 22 Nov 2022 at 22:38
I had blood - clots in the catheter bag at the beginning, and a pink colour later on - and I get the impression others here have experienced the same. It went away with time.

But you were right to ask advice, you don't want problems with your recovery.

User
Posted 22 Nov 2022 at 23:36

Hi Jeff,

My husband had blood in urine and clots in the early days after op but while the catheter was in (although he had catheter for 4 weeks). I believe it can be debris from after the operation. Robs urine was ok after a couple of weeks so definitely a good thing to get it checked out just in case. Hopefully it’s just part of the healing process.

Best of luck with your recovery 

User
Posted 23 Nov 2022 at 11:35

Hi

All normal while that catheter is in. The retaining balloon which inflates inside the bladder to keep the tube in place irritates the lining of the bladder moody which causes the bleeding in most cases.

As your doctor says keep hydrating. When the catheter is removed should improve dramatically 

User
Posted 04 Jan 2023 at 18:36

I’ve had the same problem and contacted the cancer nurses in the Urology Department who told me this is complete normal when you gave a catheter. I have found that the simple things in life like sitting on the toilet can cause this to happen and if I sit on a hard chair. You’ll identify the triggers.